Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Swelled Large Lump On Upper Back

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 violetspike

violetspike

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:16 PM

Hi all! When I can see a doc I will ask about this but also want to ask you all here what you think...

This morning my husband noticed that in a large area on my upper back just below my neck, there is a big swelling or some kind of lump forming. We both know it is due to muscle tension from stress. Pain in my neck, shoulders, and back (and sometimes jaw) is almost unbearable at times and is always there to some degree, even with attempts to help it with relaxing practices, upper body exercises, stretches, applying heat, and deep massages.

Has anyone had this lump thing happen before? Do you think it is muscles swelling up? What have you done that has helped for this?

Thanks peeps!

ps- if it starts to seem I would get more responses by posting in another area, please feel free to let me know or to move this elsewhere. Thanks

Edited by violetspike, 15 July 2007 - 02:19 PM.

Posted Image

#2 slw

slw

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

Hi all! When I can see a doc I will ask about this but also want to ask you all here what you think...

This morning my husband noticed that in a large area on my upper back just below my neck, there is a big swelling or some kind of lump forming. We both know it is due to muscle tension from stress. Pain in my neck, shoulders, and back (and sometimes jaw) is almost unbearable at times and is always there to some degree, even with attempts to help it with relaxing practices, upper body exercises, stretches, applying heat, and deep massages.

Has anyone had this lump thing happen before? Do you think it is muscles swelling up? What have you done that has helped for this?

Thanks peeps!

ps- if it starts to seem I would get more responses by posting in another area, please feel free to let me know or to move this elsewhere. Thanks

don't know if this will help or not, but I had one on one side of my lower back.
it came up suddenly and was reddish & hot -- it turned out to be a cyst that had to be drained and I needed antibiotics for the infection.

I also had upper back, neck, shoulder, arm pain due to a bone spur in my upper back that will push on nerves when I allow the area to get inflamed.
Needless to say, stress makes it all worse -- I had even got to the point that I had muscle spasms going down my arms all the time and numbness in my fingertips. I never had any visible swelling from any of it.

#3 violetspike

violetspike

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:30 PM

Thanks slw for your reply. This is different than a cyst. The bone spur sounds closer but I don't know what exactly one is so I'll research that one, but from what you've said about it, I don't think this is it either. I bet my muscles are so tightened and becoming like raised knots... hmmm...I've had it bad enough that an area will get stiff like I can't move my neck but never this amount of swelling. I think I'll look on the web for some hints. I bet it will go away with de-stressing. So I hope that you have found relief for your bone spur and all that it caused. Take care
Posted Image

#4 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

Please, please, please get this assessed! I have had muscle knots and tension, but never heard of anything like this!?!
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#5 violetspike

violetspike

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

Ah I'm scared now! Ha, not really, just concerned, can't wait to get it checked out!!! Maybe it is not to do with muscle tension at all.
Posted Image

#6 violetspike

violetspike

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

Jkm, thanks for your reply. It helped me to be quick on getting an appointment.
So am back from the appointment already. It is nothing serious. Doc thinks it does have to do with muscle tension but calls it a fatty pad or fat deposit or something. Says no need to do a MRI or anything like that until after the baby is born (I'm 24 weeks) if even neccessary. He gave me a safe muscle relaxant to take for 5 days.
Posted Image

#7 Areen

Areen

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:50 PM

I'm very relieved to hear that there is nothing serious there, violet. :)

You take care.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 slw

slw

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:01 AM

I'm very relieved to hear that there is nothing serious there, violet. :)

You take care.

violetspike -- here is some more info on my bone spur if it turns out you have anything like that.

when the area gets inflamed, it presses against a nerve
the rest of the area tries to compensate and stop it from happening which causes muscle spasm's, etc in my neck & down my arms
my fix so far is to make sure it doesn't get inflamed -- I started with prescription anti-inflammatories, but now I use allieve
physical therapy also helped me to strengthen the supporting muscles which helped enormously
so, if I do everything that I'm supposed to -- I'm fine

funny things will happen while you're pregnant sometimes -- hope everything is as the doc says

#9 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:02 AM

I didn't know that you were pregnant, so CONGRATS!! I think it's wonderful that you are going to have a baby!!! I just love them, but don't tell my 17 year old daughter!

I'm so glad that you got this checked out and hope the meds relieve any pain this is causing you. Not great when you're pregnant, huh! I had a bladder infection when I was pregnant with my son and was so miserable and it was on a Sunday. I went to the er and told the nurse, "I have a bladder infection AND I'm pregnant." They laughed, but I was about out of my mind with the cramping and tickling that this bladder thing was doing to me. Four months? Then you must be due around January?

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#10 violetspike

violetspike

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 06:30 PM

((((((((((((Areen))))))))))))) so funny how you are always around every corner; you are always here for me!!!! :hearts: Thank you soooo much!

((((((((((Slw)))))))))))) thanks for the info, is very interesting. Hope yours is behaving itself.

((((((((((((Jmk)))))))))) Thanks for the congrats. I'm due in November. Yes, they are amazing! A 17- year-old, huh? Wonder what that'll be like!

Oh, man...I had a bladder thing WITHOUT being pregnant and I was crying and crying in the ER! Poor you, glad that's over with for ya!!! :D

Edited by violetspike, 17 July 2007 - 06:32 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users