Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Treatment of Eating Disorders

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 Lindsay

Lindsay

Forum Super Administrator

ID: 2

• Super Administrators
  • 15,152 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:29 PM

Treatment of Eating Disorders
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eating disorders are serious health conditions that can be both physically and emotionally destructive. People with eating disorders need to seek professional help. Early diagnosis and intervention may enhance recovery. Eating disorders can become chronic, debilitating, and even life-threatening conditions.

Treatment is Available. Recovery is Possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most effective and long-lasting treatment for an eating disorder is some
form of psychotherapy or counseling, coupled with careful attention to medical and nutritional needs. Ideally, this treatment should be tailored to the individual and will vary according to both the severity of the disorder and the patient's individual problems, needs, and strengths.  

What does treatment involve?
Psychological counseling must address both the eating disordered symptoms and the underlying psychological, interpersonal, and cultural forces that contribute to, or maintain, the eating disorder.
Typically care is provided by a licensed health professional, including but not limited to a psychologist, psychiatrist, social worker, nutritionist, and/or primary care physician.
Care should be coordinated and provided by a health professional with expertise and experience in dealing with eating disorders.

Nutritional counseling is also necessary and should incorporate education about nutritional needs and planning for and monitoring rational choices of the individual patient.

Many people with eating disorders respond to outpatient therapy, including individual, group, or family therapy and medical management by their primary care provider. Support groups, nutritional counseling, and psychiatric medications under careful medical supervision have also proven helpful for some individuals.

Inpatient Care (including inpatient, partial hospitalization, intensive outpatiend and/or residential care in an eating disorders specialty unit or facility) is necessary when an eating disorder has led to physical problems that may be life-threatening, or when an eating disorder has reached a level of severe psychological or behavioral problems. Inpatient stays typically require a period of outpatient follow-up and aftercare to address the underlying issues in the indivdiual`s eating disorder.

The exact treatment needs of each individual will vary.
It is important for individuals struggling with an eating disorder to find a health professional they trust to help coordinate and oversee their care.

Be Well....

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

Forum Super Administrator
DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.

My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users