Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Adderall And Excessive Urinating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 eastinthewest

eastinthewest

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:42 AM

I have recently been perscribed adderall and noticed that I am urinating at least 3 times as much as I did before I started taking the medication. I am not athletic but I do excersise. I tend to dirnk about a galon of water throughout the day. This has been a practice of mine for quite some time now. Ever since I started the adderall it seems that about 20 minutes on the dot after I consume some water I have to "go". I guess what I really want to know is if this is a permanant or temporary side effect that will fade with time?

I have also been expiriencing excessive pit sweating. I read around other forums and people seemed to suggest "certain dri", which has been working well for me so far. Is this a permanant side effect, or does it also go away with time?

#2 Gonzo

Gonzo

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:07 PM

I don't know much about side effects of adderall, but if you're drinking that much fluid, you need to tell your doctor.
Brian
[We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.]
-Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 eastinthewest

eastinthewest

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:25 PM

I don't know much about side effects of adderall, but if you're drinking that much fluid, you need to tell your doctor.

I'm not drinking that quantity because of meds. It's part of my diet and workout, which I have been doing for longer than I have been on medication. Reguardless of how much I drink it seems to come out like 20, 30 minutes later.

#4 Gonzo

Gonzo

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

I would advise your doc of the excessive urinating. That's a new one on me.
Brian
[We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.]
-Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr
Posted Image Posted Image

#5 mccoffee

mccoffee

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:56 PM

I get that effect at times it should go away I will say this much drink alot of fluid on that drug imho to me it dehyrates me somewhat.

#6 escape

escape

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:38 PM

im not a doctor but i know alot about medications and side effects and can give you a good theory as to why you have excessive urination. i wouldnt say that its a bad or unsafe side effect. it is a good possibility that the reason you are having that is because adderall( amphetamine) is a stimulant. In simple terms, the excessive urination could be having the same effect coffee does. amphetamine (adderall) speeds you up so, along with your heartrate going faster, so does your metabolism. hence the increased urination.

im not a doctor though but have done alot of research on all types of psyche meds. still check with your doctor.

#7 Guest_SarahN_*

Guest_SarahN_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

Escape,

Caffeine is found in many foods including coffee, tea, chocolate, and carbonated beverages. It is also found in over-the-counter medicines, such as pain relievers, appetite suppressants and cold medicines. Caffeine functions as a central nervous system stimulant and also a diuretic.

So rather than saying adderall causes the metabolism to speed up, it is the caffeine that caused the heart rate to go up and the caffeine also works as a diuretic ( A diuretic is any drug that elevates the rate of bodily urine excretion)

Please do talk to your doctor about this eastinthewest!

SN :hearts:

#8 eterea

eterea

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

I hope that your doctor can help you. I really think that you should tell your doctor about the gallon of water per day. I drink a lot of fluids...I always have - but even a gallon of water sounds like a lot to me. Even when I was on Lithium and was drinking 12 glasses of water/non-caffienated fluids per day.

I didn't notice a change in frequency of urination when I started Adderall (quite awhile ago). However, I'm on several meds so it is hard to figure out what med is causing what side effect. Also, I've just been one to make frequent "bathroom stops"' all of my life. I think it is anxiety-related for me and I do drink a lot of fluids.

I hope that you are able to resolve this.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Rhino

Rhino

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:20 PM

Don't know if your question has been answerd or not,....... regarding the increased frequency of urination. I just stumbled upon your question today. Maybe this might help you in understanding your symptom a bit better. Adderall is sympathomimetic drug,..... meaning it acts on all the receptors (in your body) that are activated by the "fright or Flight" neurochemicals. That is to say,..it mimics the sympathetic responce. This (symathetic) responce is basically one of the autonomic responses in our body,..which means you and I have no voluntary control over it. It gets trigerred automatically when the situation arises. These neurotransmittors help us in tackling various situations we encounter.

Anyway,.... having said that,... one of the sympathetic responces, along with increasing your heart rate, causing peripheral vaso(blood vessel) constrictions, increased break down of stored energy, etc, etc,...is to control or stop us from having to go pee. This is made possible by constricting sphincters/ muscles in the bladder,..( the bladder trigone and sphincter)..and relaxing a bladder wall muscle called the detrusor,.. thereby leading to urine retention. Basically in a situation of fright, flight, fight, f*** (sympathetic responce) our body is postponing the hindering act of having to pee. ( Urinary Retention in medical terms) So with adderall activating that responce constantly,... your bladder is systematically expanding,.. and expanding,.. trying to retain the urine. This then leads to an over fill situation,...and the subsequent pressure in the bladder pushes or is greater than the constricting pressure of the medication,...leading to you feeling the urge to pee. ( Urge or Urge Incontinence....cause the pee might dribble a bit due to the pressure) But you'll only pee a bit,...cause the constricting force of the meds are still acting. Hence you'll have to pee frequently,.... ( called frequency),.. when you go to pee,.... you may have a hard time initiating the pee,..due to the constricting effect..( Hesitency). this could also lead to poor stream,.. or weak force of your urine flow. ( Streaming).

So after having loaded you with a mountine of information,... hope you got the point that,...it's one of the actions of Adderall,.... but in your situation not a desired action,..so a side effect. On urinary retention,..subsequently leading to Urinary Frequency ( peeing many times). Every persons receptors activate/behave with a different intensity to a stimulus,..... So probably you have an increased (alpha-1) receptor activity on your bladder with adderall. If this condition starts to bother you,..or affect you,.. your daily activities, etc,...or even start to get painful...... you should talk to your doctor about it and let him know. There could be other factors (prostate, neural, etc) that might be aggravating your situation( frequent peeing) too,.so it's always better to find out the main cause.

So there you have it,...and hopefully that's what you're looking for. take care and good luck.

Edited by Rhino, 13 May 2008 - 04:22 PM.

#10 Rhino

Rhino

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:25 PM

I have recently been perscribed adderall and noticed that I am urinating at least 3 times as much as I did before I started taking the medication. I am not athletic but I do excersise. I tend to dirnk about a galon of water throughout the day. This has been a practice of mine for quite some time now. Ever since I started the adderall it seems that about 20 minutes on the dot after I consume some water I have to "go". I guess what I really want to know is if this is a permanant or temporary side effect that will fade with time?

I have also been expiriencing excessive pit sweating. I read around other forums and people seemed to suggest "certain dri", which has been working well for me so far. Is this a permanant side effect, or does it also go away with time?

Don't know if your question has been answerd or not,....... regarding the increased frequency of urination. I just stumbled upon your question today. Maybe this might help you in understanding your symptom a bit better. Adderall is sympathomimetic drug,..... meaning it acts on all the receptors (in your body) that are activated by the "fright or Flight" neurochemicals. That is to say,..it mimics the sympathetic responce. This (symathetic) responce is basically one of the autonomic responses in our body,..which means you and I have no voluntary control over it. It gets trigerred automatically when the situation arises. These neurotransmittors help us in tackling various situations we encounter.

Anyway,.... having said that,... one of the sympathetic responces, along with increasing your heart rate, causing peripheral vaso(blood vessel) constrictions, increased break down of stored energy, etc, etc,...is to control or stop us from having to go pee. This is made possible by constricting sphincters/ muscles in the bladder,..( the bladder trigone and sphincter)..and relaxing a bladder wall muscle called the detrusor,.. thereby leading to urine retention. Basically in a situation of fright, flight, fight, f*** (sympathetic responce) our body is postponing the hindering act of having to pee. ( Urinary Retention in medical terms) So with adderall activating that responce constantly,... your bladder is systematically expanding,.. and expanding,.. trying to retain the urine. This then leads to an over fill situation,...and the subsequent pressure in the bladder pushes or is greater than the constricting pressure of the medication,...leading to you feeling the urge to pee. ( Urge or Urge Incontinence....cause the pee might dribble a bit due to the pressure) But you'll only pee a bit,...cause the constricting force of the meds are still acting. Hence you'll have to pee frequently,.... ( called frequency),.. when you go to pee,.... you may have a hard time initiating the pee,..due to the constricting effect..( Hesitency). this could also lead to poor stream,.. or weak force of your urine flow. ( Streaming).

So after having loaded you with a mountine of information,... hope you got the point that,...it's one of the actions of Adderall,.... but in your situation not a desired action,..so a side effect. On urinary retention,..subsequently leading to Urinary Frequency ( peeing many times). Every persons receptors activate/behave with a different intensity to a stimulus,..... So probably you have an increased (alpha-1) receptor activity on your bladder with adderall. If this condition starts to bother you,..or affect you,.. your daily activities, etc,...or even start to get painful...... you should talk to your doctor about it and let him know. There could be other factors (prostate, neural, etc) that might be aggravating your situation( frequent peeing) too,.so it's always better to find out the main cause.

So there you have it,...and hopefully that's what you're looking for. take care and good luck.

#11 Phloam

Phloam

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:36 AM

Consumption of fluids was a problem for me as I used to drink as much if not more water than you within a day. Even though it was just water the amount consumed was washing out my medication in particular Adderall and Lithium. The drinks I have to avoid are Gatorade, Lucozade or energy drinks (caffeine based) these are all dieuretics which clean out your liver and your medication too.

I believe this is resulting in the not so common Adderall side effects.

I hope this helps in some small way.

JB

#12 flunkycarter

flunkycarter

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

I hope that your doctor can help you. I really think that you should tell your doctor about the gallon of water per day. I drink a lot of fluids...I always have - but even a gallon of water sounds like a lot to me. Even when I was on Lithium and was drinking 12 glasses of water/non-caffienated fluids per day.

I didn't notice a change in frequency of urination when I started Adderall (quite awhile ago). However, I'm on several meds so it is hard to figure out what med is causing what side effect. Also, I've just been one to make frequent "bathroom stops"' all of my life. I think it is anxiety-related for me and I do drink a lot of fluids.

I hope that you are able to resolve this.

This response just flabbergasted me.

There are 128 fluid ounces in a gallon of water. Assuming, on the conservative side, you're drinking 12 glasses of liquid. Also assuming that your "glasses" hold a measly 8 fl. oz. of liquid, and disregard the intake of fluids via food ingestion, etc... a bit o' second grade arithmetic tells us that you are, at the least, consuming about 96 fl. oz of liquid, just 32 fl. oz, or four glasses (8 fl. oz) shy of a gallon. A typical soda can, as with most canned drinks contains 12fl. oz. Also, for the sake of benchmarking, I measuredthe cups in my cupboard and those at my girlfriend's. Almost all measured in at about 12 fl. oz., give or take a spill here and there. 12 cups averaging 11 fl. oz measures in at 132 fl. oz and a drinking vessel with the capacity of 12 fl. oz. would bring ones total daily bodily intake of liquid, not counting be absorbtion absorption liquids by the body not via ingestion.. (counts fingers) at 144 fl. oz.!

Is a gallon of water a day, a bit much? Maybe, although we aren't taking into consideration eastinthwest's rate of evaporation. He/she said they did exercise and perhaps they live in the middle of Death Valley. First hand experience does tell me that Adderrall usage does seem to make one urinate much more frequently. One gallon of water a day for human consumption, a trifle... considering that an average American consumes on the magnitude of 150 gallons of water per person, per day.

Perhapsit's all in how we see the glass, 4 fl. oz full, or 6 fl. oz. empty. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users