Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Feet And Legs Feel Constantly Cold

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lizzy

Lizzy

ID: 17

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:28 AM

For weeks now my feet and legs from mid-thigh downwards feel colder than the rest of me. Especially at night. Hubby can't feel much difference but my brain is telling me! I don't sit for long periods and am out and about with the dogs or gardening so get daily exercise. I'm very conscious of the symptoms, even when the rest of me is warm my feet feel cold!
Lizzy
Any change is scary even when we want it Posted Image

#2 Larry

Larry

Gold Member

ID: 15504

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

For weeks now my feet and legs from mid-thigh downwards feel colder than the rest of me. Especially at night. Hubby can't feel much difference but my brain is telling me! I don't sit for long periods and am out and about with the dogs or gardening so get daily exercise. I'm very conscious of the symptoms, even when the rest of me is warm my feet feel cold!

Do you smoke? Smoker people often have cold extemities due to lack of blood flow. Hope you figure this out and that it stops soon.

#3 Coop

Coop

Platinum Member

ID: 1764

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 3,985 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:33 AM

I'm not sure this helps much, but my mother suffers from the same problem and has done for the past 30 years plus. She has had numerous tests, though not recently but the doctors have never found anything badly wrong. They put it down to poor circulation and tell her to exercise more often, but she gets plenty of exercise and the problem persists. She has never suffered, other than cold feet, because of this problem.

Sorry it's not more help, but I just wanted you to know that someone else had the same issue and it wasn't anything serious. If my mother could use a computer, I'd get her here to talk to you, but untfortunately, she also has problems with her sight, so that's not possible.

Tech. Admin
goldenvelope1jr.gifplatinumstar.jpg

#4 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:40 AM

I've never smoked. I have always had a good exercise programme. It's not so bad in the Winter cos I can put on the electric blanket for all-over cosiness but in the Summer the rest of me bakes but feet still feel cold.

Thanks Coop! My Mum has macular degeneration so doesn't see well but at nearly 81 keeps going! She was a great embroiderer and had to give up close work but has made wool 'kneelers' for Church pews so is still able to contribute.

I'll speak to the pharamcist when I remember to see if meds can cause such side-effects. I'm generally low and everything is a bit much right now!
Lizzy

#5 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

ID: 16232

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:20 AM

I've never smoked. I have always had a good exercise programme. It's not so bad in the Winter cos I can put on the electric blanket for all-over cosiness but in the Summer the rest of me bakes but feet still feel cold.
Thanks Coop! My Mum has macular degeneration so doesn't see well but at nearly 81 keeps going! She was a great embroiderer and had to give up close work but has made wool 'kneelers' for Church pews so is still able to contribute.
I'll speak to the pharamcist when I remember to see if meds can cause such side-effects. I'm generally low and everything is a bit much right now!

There has been more interest in this area of late. Seems to be some association with the hardening of the arteries in the lower extremities as we age. They have even been showing a commercial about it on TV of late. They suggest you ask your doctor about it. Like Larry suggested it is associated with smoking, but also diabetes and artherioschlerosis. One of the things the commercial says is to see your doctor because there is a possible link between the artherioschlerosis in one's legs and possibly in one's heart (leading to a heart attack) and or brain (leading to stroke).

For me, this has always been a problem since I was very young, my hands too. It is probably genetic in me as my father had the same problem. In fact during WW II, he was caught in a situation where he spent 48 or so hours exposed to the cold north of Seattle during a possible submarine sighting and suffered frostbite to his fingers and toes, while others with him had nothing more than cold hands and feet.

My intimate partners have always avoided my feet at night! :hearts:

Peace and Love... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#6 surgeon2006

surgeon2006

Platinum Member

ID: 6878

• Platinum Member
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:49 AM

Hey Lizzy.

Seems strange hubby cant feel any difference in temperature of your feet. Usually you can feel the coldness.

Something to speak to your doc about anyway...interested to see what the outcome is.

...you sure hes not hogging the blankets?!!!
Life is too short to wake up with regrets,
So love the people who treat you right.
Forget about the ones who don't.
Believe everything happens for a reason.
If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.
If it changes your life, let it.
Nobody said life would be easy....
they just promised itd be worth it.

#7 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:19 AM

I still have this. the dr has checked my peripheral pulses and tells me they are fine <rolls eyes>
Lizzy

#8 Guest_Giz_*

Guest_Giz_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:58 PM

Have you or your docs looked into Raynauds Disease?
I know two girls with it, neither smoke and both are active-sounds similar..Might be worth a try..
Dont think theres actually a cure though, seeing as both the girls I know who have it still have it and just deal with it..One wears gloves pretty much all the time, the other just grins and bears it..

There are some warming essential oils that you could try mixing into an unfragranced cream base or an oil..
Off the top of my head I know Benzoin, Clary Sage & Ginger oil are warming. 1 drop of essential oil per 5ml/g of carrier oil/cream. For example-100ml of grapeseed oil, 20drops of essential oil-and its best if you mix them together. Id put some lavender in there too personally, as lavender boosts the effectiveness of anything its mixed with.

But DO NOT exceed the dose I told you, this would be considered an overdose, and you dont go overdosing on other things, so why overdose on an essential oil? they are very concentrated, so while you may think one drop is not much it really is!!

A final word of warning though-do not use clary sage if you plan to drink alcohol, as it can exaggerate drunkenness, and give rise to horrific nightmares. So if youre going out-or staying in with a drink, then leave the clary sage for that night.

Hope that helps.. Luckily for me Im the opposite, I frequently have people comment on how warm I am, in fact I cant wear gold or thin silver rings because they snap Im that warm!!

#9 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:54 AM

Thanks Giz

Don't drink ......... maybe that would soak all the way to my toes and warm me through ;-)

How's the weather across the water? It's blue skies and sunshine here so far today. :-)
Lizzy

#10 Guest_Giz_*

Guest_Giz_*

• Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

Thanks Giz

Don't drink ......... maybe that would soak all the way to my toes and warm me through ;-)

How's the weather across the water? It's blue skies and sunshine here so far today. :-)

I never saw your response the other day, it was nice here today-if a little cold.. Hows it in the UK?

#11 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:51 PM

Snowing! It's october for goodness sake <rolls eyes> but everywhere is white. So good excuse for my legs to be cold LOL!
Lizzy

#12 Guest_Giz_*

Guest_Giz_*

• Guests

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:54 PM

SNOW??
You must be high up north then no?
Ok so it got cold here but nowhere near snow weather yet..
Im hopin after all the rain we had this summer that perhaps well have a dry winter.. Theyre more bearable I think..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users