Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Confusing Thoughts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stuguinea

stuguinea

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

It seems like for the last few weeks the thoughts in my head have been spinning out of control. My mind is constantly racing but when I try to determine what I am thinking or worrying about I cannot identify or describe the thought or thoughts that cause my mind to race. I apologize if this is confusing but I will try to explain.

I have battled depression, anxiety, and OCD since I was a young child. Within the last few years the OCD thoughts have faded but I am constantly battling depression. In the past with OCD I could always identify what I was thinking or worrying about. For instance - did I turn the stove off?, did I lock the door? Anxious feelings would accompany these obsessive thoughts in my chest and stomach.

What I am experiencing now is quite different. My mind is constantly spinning at 100 miles per hour. I cannot slow my mind enough to concentrate on reading a book, watch tv. or to be interested in anything. When I try to stop the racing thoughts and identify what am I thinking about I have absolutely no idea what is going through my mind. Currently I have plenty of things to worry about - employment, having enough money to pay my bills, etc. , but for some reason I am not thinking about any of these issues. I hesitate to think that these thoughts are merely the signs of OCD coming back to haunt me. For one I cannot specifically tag each thought as being concerned with something like the stove or the door. Moreover I do not have the anxious feelings in my chest or stomach that usually accompany the obsessive thoughts. I basically feel numb all over. I have many things I need to do but I cannot convince my body to move in order to get things done.

Talking about these thoughts is very difficult, for I can not describe or identify them, I can only FEEL them moving around in my head. I have pretty much experienced the full spectrum of thoughts and feelings associated with depression, anxiety, and OCD, however this is a new experience for me. I am confused and I am interested in gaining insight from others in the forum.

#2 cruz1287

cruz1287

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:48 PM

Hey,

I am experiencing confusing and obssessive thinking. I can't seem to stop the thinking, i can never do anything to make it switch off. It drives me insane and gives me a right a headache!!! I am also suffering from depression. The obsessive thinking only started 2 months ago. When i wake up in the morning, and the worrying starts.

I hate this sense of paranoia that my boyfriend is going to go off with another girl, because of my depression it doesnt bring out the best in me. Especially he works with women, he even tells me that they keep touching him.....what else am i supposed to think?? I getting so paranoid and is making me worry and anxious. I just want to relax and sort out the thoughts in my head one by one.

#3 stuguinea

stuguinea

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:35 AM

Hello Cruz1287! Thank you for responding. Isnt it frustrating that sometimes we cannot just turn our brain off and give it a rest. In everyday life there is more than enough to think about - paying bills on time, keeping appointments, work, etc. and then to have all of these extra thoughts (sometimes completely unreasonable) floating around in your head it can be very overwhelming.

It seems like for me that I cannot be in the present moment. My mind races constantly and it becomes so overwhelming that I cannot focus on what I am doing at the present time. What is really aggravating is that I cannot even describe what I am thinking about.

Are you able to talk to your boyfriend about your concerns? Explaining your concerns about him and his current work environment, and learning his thoughts about the situation, maybe you can find some answers that would put your mind at ease.

Believe me I know that dealing with your thoughts and then having to cope with depression can be very difficult. hang in there and hope you find some relief from your thoughts very soon.

#4 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,850 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:16 AM

Racing thoughts, where everything is jumbled and has no meaning, is very distracting in itself. It definitely impairs any concentration you need. Excessive worrying also takes a toll. I still get racing thoughts, even though I'm on medication to control them. With therapy, I have gotten through the worrying about everything and can somewhat rationalize things and put them into perspective.

Are you currently under professional care? If not, when was your last psych evaluation? You may need to see a psychiatrist for a diagnosis and medication to help with the racing thoughts or depression you may have. Therapy is also an option.

Let us know how you are doing.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#5 stuguinea

stuguinea

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 01:36 PM

Racing thoughts, where everything is jumbled and has no meaning, is very distracting in itself. It definitely impairs any concentration you need. Excessive worrying also takes a toll. I still get racing thoughts, even though I'm on medication to control them. With therapy, I have gotten through the worrying about everything and can somewhat rationalize things and put them into perspective.

Are you currently under professional care? If not, when was your last psych evaluation? You may need to see a psychiatrist for a diagnosis and medication to help with the racing thoughts or depression you may have. Therapy is also an option.

Let us know how you are doing.
Sheepwoman :hearts:

Hello Sheepwoman, thank you for concern. I have seen many psychiatrists and counselors over a number of years. My last evaluation was approximately 6 weeks ago. At that time i started taking 40 mg of Fluoxetine daily. After explaining the thoughts I was experiencing the dr. recommended taking either Fluoxetine , Ritalin, or Xanax. He said I had a number of issues going on and was not sure which feeling was dominant (depression, anxiety, obsessive thoughts). the emotions that I feel depend on the situation I am involved in. As a result my feelings and emotions can change at any moment it seems. For instance I am currently looking for a job. I am depressed because I do not have job. However, should an opportunity or interview present itself, the feelings of depression are replaced with feelings of anxiety about the interview. Then my mind spirals out of control down all of the paths a successful or unsuccessful interview could take me.
My doctor as mentioned that my condition could be affected by my poor eating habits. When I am depressed I dont feel like cooking and to eat out all of the time requires money that I do not have. I feel sort of stuck.
What is really strange in all of this is that I really dont worry about my present situation - I probably should. I just exist day to day hoping the medicine will take hold or something will click inside of me that will allow me to go out an pursue life.

#6 jesluvmk

jesluvmk

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:31 PM

I am sorry to hear that it seems that new symptoms are popping up. That can be tough to deal with. I would definately alert your doctor to this. Your inability to concentrate can make it difficult to function and that is most important right now. Keep going strong!

#7 stuguinea

stuguinea

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 05:06 PM

I am sorry to hear that it seems that new symptoms are popping up. That can be tough to deal with. I would definately alert your doctor to this. Your inability to concentrate can make it difficult to function and that is most important right now. Keep going strong!

Hello jesluvmk - Thank you very much for your encouraging message. Your kind words are truly appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users