Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Lithium For Depression

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KingOfTheThing

KingOfTheThing

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:50 AM

Hey everyone, I'm on Lithium for depression because I've tried several other antidepressants that haven't worked at all, and I am now at what I believe is to be considered the therapeutic dose of 1200mg. I was just wondering when I can expect to start feeling it's effects, if anyone else here has tried it? Thanks ahead of time.

#2 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,850 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:39 AM

1200mg is not so much the therapeutic dose for Lithium. It's the amount you need to take to reach the therapeutic level in your blood.

Lithium is used as a stabilizer and has very good results with depression. How long have you been taking Lithium? It took a couple of weeks to begin working for me after the therapeutic blood level was reached. It continued working well for 15 years. Hopefully, Lithium will give you the relief you need from your depression.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#3 KingOfTheThing

KingOfTheThing

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

Thanks, I've been on Lithium since the middle of march so it's been awhile and I'm a little disappointed that I haven't gotten any relief yet after 2 months, considering that I've heard lithium is supposed to act a lot faster than antidepressants and other sorts of meds. I just started 1200mg about a week ago and am supposed to get my blood level checked this week to see if i'm at the the therapeutic blood range. I guess I'll just hafta wait and see. By the way, were you on it for depression or bipolar, if you don't mind me asking?

#4 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:26 PM

King:

I, too, take Lithium (600 mgs), as well as 5 other meds. For me, the Lithium has worked wonders. I noticed the difference within 2 months.

Yeah, regular blood tests go hand-in-hand with Lithium. It's a bummer, but the tests need to be done.

:hearts:

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#5 undertheblackclouds

undertheblackclouds

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:07 PM

I have just been put on Lithium 400mg, to work alongside my regular anti d Duloxetine. I am hoping that it will start to boost thei anti depressants effects very soon as I have been taking Duloxetine for 18 months now and have done very well but am currently in the worst bout of depression I have ever had.
No house is a home without a rabbit!

#6 ja4445

ja4445

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:38 PM

Hey there I started 400mg lithium a few days ago for depression as most of the AD's I have tried havent really worked that well! I will update you when if it starts to wrk!!

#7 sojourner15

sojourner15

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

Hey everyone, I'm on Lithium for depression because I've tried several other antidepressants that haven't worked at all, and I am now at what I believe is to be considered the therapeutic dose of 1200mg. I was just wondering when I can expect to start feeling it's effects, if anyone else here has tried it? Thanks ahead of time.

Hello, I'm Michael,
I have dysthymia and a couple of bipolar signs. I am taking Wellbutrin 300mg, Zoloft 200mg, and I just started lithium yesterday. I'm still down, does anyone know how long it takes to kick it??
Thanks in advance

#8 sojourner15

sojourner15

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:35 PM

Hello, I'm Michael,
I have dysthymia and a couple of bipolar signs. I am taking Wellbutrin 300mg, Zoloft 200mg, and I just started lithium yesterday. I'm still down, does anyone know how long it takes to kick it??
Thanks in advance

#9 sojourner15

sojourner15

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:37 PM

Thanks, I've been on Lithium since the middle of march so it's been awhile and I'm a little disappointed that I haven't gotten any relief yet after 2 months, considering that I've heard lithium is supposed to act a lot faster than antidepressants and other sorts of meds. I just started 1200mg about a week ago and am supposed to get my blood level checked this week to see if i'm at the the therapeutic blood range. I guess I'll just hafta wait and see. By the way, were you on it for depression or bipolar, if you don't mind me asking?

Hello again,
I'm on it for depression and if I have to wait two months for it to kick in then I'm in trouble.
Michael

#10 sojourner15

sojourner15

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:40 PM

Hey there I started 400mg lithium a few days ago for depression as most of the AD's I have tried havent really worked that well! I will update you when if it starts to wrk!!

Hello,
How is the lithium working for you, and how long did it take to kick in??
Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users