Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Adverse Reaction To Prozac - Still Recovering

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#1 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

ID: 14709

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:53 PM

Hi All~

It has been a while since I posted here, but I felt it was important to share my story in case my experience sheds some light for new Prozac users experiencing similar reactions and for potential future users to consider before starting up.

Here is my story~

I started on Prozac in 1998 due to a mild situational depression and continued using it on and off for approx. 8 years. Prozac worked well for me during this period and I experienced no start-up side effects and no withdrawal effects upon discontinuation. I stayed on Prozac all of those years, not because I was depressed when off of the med, but because life just seemed easier as I was calmer, less irritable, and less critical of myself and others. So, what the hell? Why not take the med if it made me feel better?

Because the long term side effects of Prozac are unknown I decided to go off the med in 2006. My libido improved and I was more irritable off the meds but those were the only changes I noted.

Thanks to my increased libido I became pregnant and, unfortunately, suffered a miscarriage in Sept 2006. Around Thanksgiving time I noticed I was feeling blue due to the miscarriage and thought that I was maybe going into a depression. My GP put me back on 20mg/daily Prozac and within a week I was started suffering terrible, vile, side-effects in order of occurrence, as follows:

1. Heartburn
2. Headaches
3. Suicide Ideation (never had before)
4. Intense Anxiety (never had before)
5. Confusion
6. Inability to Concentrate/Inability to Work
7. Akathasia
8. Incurable Insomnia (never had before)
9. Stomach pains
10. Agoraphobia (never had before)
11. Memory Loss (never had before)
12. Absolute Loss of Appetite
13. Severe Depression (never had before)
14. Lack of Emotion (never had before)

Needless to say, 3 weeks after starting up I was a basket case and my GP thought that perhaps she should start me at a much lower dose. So I tapered off the drug and seemed to be feeling better about 2-3 weeks later. I decided to stay off the Prozac, but fell into a deep depression about 6 weeks after discontiuation (which I now attribute to a delayed withdrawal from the Prozac). I then started back up at only 5/mg but by week 8 I was a basket case again. It was clear to me that Prozac was no longer my friend and that I had to discontinue use. I tried to switch to Wellbutrin, but that med only exacerbated my symptoms to the point I wanted to admit myself to the hospital.

Prozac really wreaked havoc on my mind and body and I'm still recovering 6 weeks later. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would ever experience this kind of hell in my life. Post discontinuation symptoms continue and include:

1. Sever Loss of Appetite (lost 30lbs)
2. Hypersensitivity to Stimuli
3. Anxiety (Frequent tightness in chest)
4. Depression (PTS from this experience)
5. Brain Numbness/Lack of Emotion/Disconnected (feel dead inside)
6. Inability to Concentrate (starting to recover, I think)
7. Insomnia (I can now fall asleep but only get about 4 hours on a good night)
8. Heartburn - (Symptoms have since subsided)
9. Severe Stomach Aches – (Symptoms have since subsided) However, Unbeknownst to me, serotonin affects the gut. Had I'd known I wouldn't have incurred unnecessary and costly medical procedures (Endoscopy and gallbladder ultrasound).

I have talked with and seen various doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, and pharmacists to try to figure out what happened to me. Of course nobody really knows what happened. However, the consensus is that the pregnancy and subsequent miscarriage altered my body/brain chemistry/hormones and that AD's would no longer work for me like it had in the past. I am hopeful that I will fully recover and get back to who I was before starting back up in November of 2006, but have to admit that I sometimes wonder if the Prozac caused irreparable damage to my brain and/or nervous system.

My next course of action is to get my hormones tested to check for imbalances. I really wish I had checked out my hormones last November and had not been so quick to start back up on Prozac. I might have saved myself a 6 month E ticket ride through hell.

I would love to hear back from folks that have experienced adverse side effects from an SSRI to learn how long it took them to recover physically and emotionally.

Lov :hearts:

PS~ I just read my post and found it interesting that my own written words cannot truly desribe the mental anguish and physical torture I endured. If it were it not for my adverse reaction to Prozac I not have the true empathy I now have for those unfortunate soles that suffer from debilitating depression/anxiety.

Edited by lov4k9s, 13 June 2007 - 01:58 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

If I can't be a shining example, then I shall serve as a terrible warning.

#2 cookiecrumbs

cookiecrumbs

ID: 14877

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:42 PM

Thank you for sharing your devastating story. I hope you continue to heal and that your life finally returns to some sense of normalcy once again. :hearts:

Edited by cookiecrumbs, 12 June 2007 - 11:36 PM.

Hope does not require a massive chain where heavy links of logic hold it together. A thin wire will do…just strong enough to get you through the night until the winds die down.” ~Charles Swindoll

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

When the world says, "Give up," Hope says, "Try it one more time."

#3 Michael T

Michael T

ID: 16086

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:56 AM

Hi All~

It has been a while since I posted here, but I felt it was important to share my story in case my experience sheds some light for new Prozac users experiencing similar reactions and for potential future users to consider before starting up.

Here is my story~

I started on Prozac in 1998 due to a mild situational depression and continued using it on and off for approx. 8 years. Prozac worked well for me during this period and I experienced no start-up side effects and no withdrawal effects upon discontinuation. I stayed on Prozac all of those years, not because I was depressed when off of the med, but because life just seemed easier as I was calmer, less irritable, and less critical of myself and others. So, what the hell? Why not take the med if it made me feel better?

Because the long term side effects of Prozac are unknown I decided to go off the med in 2006. My libido improved and I was more irritable off the meds but those were the only changes I noted.

Thanks to my increased libido I became pregnant and, unfortunately, suffered a miscarriage in Sept 2006. Around Thanksgiving time I noticed I was feeling blue due to the miscarriage and thought that I was maybe going into a depression. My GP put me back on 20mg/daily Prozac and within a week I was started suffering terrible, vile, side-effects in order of occurrence, as follows:

1. Heartburn
2. Headaches
5. Confusion
7. Akathasia
9. Stomach pains

Needless to say, 3 weeks after starting up I was a basket case and my GP thought that perhaps she should start me at a much lower dose. So I tapered off the drug and seemed to be feeling better about 2-3 weeks later. I decided to stay off the Prozac, but fell into a deep depression about 6 weeks after discontiuation (which I now attribute to a delayed withdrawal from the Prozac). I then started back up at only 5/mg but by week 8 I was a basket case again. It was clear to me that Prozac was no longer my friend and that I had to discontinue use. I tried to switch to Wellbutrin, but that med only exacerbated my symptoms to the point I wanted to admit myself to the hospital.

Prozac really wreaked havoc on my mind and body and I'm still recovering 6 weeks later. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would ever experience this kind of hell in my life. Post discontinuation symptoms continue and include:

5. Brain Numbness/Lack of Emotion/Disconnected
9. Severe Stomach Aches – (Symptoms have since subsided) However, Unbeknownst to me, serotonin affects the gut. Had I'd known I wouldn't have incurred unnecessary and costly medical procedures (Endoscopy and gallbladder ultrasound).

I have talked with and seen various doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, and pharmacists to try to figure out what happened to me. The consensus is that the pregnancy and subsequent miscarriage altered my body/brain chemistry/hormones and that AD's would no longer work for me. I am hopeful that I will fully recover and get back to who I was before starting back up in November of 2006, but have to admit that I sometimes wonder if the Prozac caused irreparable damage to my brain and/or nervous system.

My next course of action is to get my hormones tested to check for imbalances. I really wish I had checked out my hormones last November and had not been so quick to start back up on Prozac. I might have saved myself an E ticket ride through hell.

PS~ I just read my post and found it interesting that my own written words cannot truly desribe the mental anguish I endured. If it were it not for my adverse reaction to Prozac I not have the true empathy I have now for those unfortunate soles that suffer from debilitating depression/anxiety.

Dear love4k9s: I am amazed at your analytical abilities, to track your symptoms and follow your own progress. I wish you luck but it sounds like you and a good Doc (to follow your suggestions) will help you on your upward spiral to "normalcy" what ever that is.

Thanks for the info on Prozac. I'm on it for the second time, it pooped out on me about two years ago but my Doc is back using it as an ingredients in my daily cocktail. He added Lamictal to it yesterday, said he had been noticing some (dare I say it? ) Bi-Polar symptoms.

It's obvious you're a dog lover a little known "best medicine" for depression and any thing else for that matter. I have 4 Siberian Husky's and one old curmudgeon I brought back from Alaska with me. He is a retired sled dog and unfortunate things happen to retired sled dogs who are not good breading stock. I actually brought back two but Old Dale at the ripe old age of 18 is now on the other side of the rainbow awaiting us.

Again , good luck-----Michael T

#4 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:00 PM

Hi Everyone~

I just wanted to post an update as to my status. Please know that I am only posting to inform, not to scare or influence anyone regarding anti-depressants.

I have now been off of Prozac for 2 months and I am still sufferring from persistant adverse side effects. I have been scouring the internet to learn more about my condition and found the following excerpt from a thread on a different forum which summarizes nicely the theory of why a person that had success with an SSRI would later experience severe adverse reactions when attempting to re-start the same SSRI:

"...when "some" people go cold turkey (or close to cold turkey) off of an ssri, they "sometimes" only have a small window of time before they can go back on an ssri without causing further damage to their withdrawal. for people that this is the case for, this window is usually varies from 2 to 6 weeks. charly groderick and others warn about this. sometimes when a person goes cold turkey, after a certain period of time, the brain sees the ssri as the enemy. this is known as the "kindling effect." this has happened to numerous people on this website. shea took a single dose of lexapro 4 months after her cold turkey withdrawal and went into convulsions and went to the ER. i tried taking zoloft 2 and 1/2 weeks after i went cold turkey and got terrible nosebleeds and migrains so i quit again. after trying to go back on 2 months later, one dose of zoloft thru me into the emergency room with akathesia. several months later, i tried only taking "2 milligrams" of zoloft and guess what happened? my skin started burning and i got akathesia. charly groderick himself quit prozac cold turkey and a couple of months later took a single dose of prozac which also put him in the ER and that is what made him sick for years. rob robinson warns in one of his posts that going back on an ssri can make things much worse once you are in a cold turkey withdrawal. dr. ann blake tracy warns on her website that each time you go back on the ssri tends to be more dangerous and this is possibly why."

lov
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Izzy85

Izzy85

Silver Member

ID: 9658

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:43 PM

Hi Everyone~

I just wanted to post an update as to my status. Please know that I am only posting to inform, not to scare or influence anyone regarding anti-depressants.

I have now been off of Prozac for 2 months and I am still sufferring from persistant adverse side effects. I have been scouring the internet to learn more about my condition and found the following excerpt from a thread on a different forum which summarizes nicely the theory of why a person that had success with an SSRI would later experience severe adverse reactions when attempting to re-start the same SSRI:

"...when "some" people go cold turkey (or close to cold turkey) off of an ssri, they "sometimes" only have a small window of time before they can go back on an ssri without causing further damage to their withdrawal. for people that this is the case for, this window is usually varies from 2 to 6 weeks. charly groderick and others warn about this. sometimes when a person goes cold turkey, after a certain period of time, the brain sees the ssri as the enemy. this is known as the "kindling effect." this has happened to numerous people on this website. shea took a single dose of lexapro 4 months after her cold turkey withdrawal and went into convulsions and went to the ER. i tried taking zoloft 2 and 1/2 weeks after i went cold turkey and got terrible nosebleeds and migrains so i quit again. after trying to go back on 2 months later, one dose of zoloft thru me into the emergency room with akathesia. several months later, i tried only taking "2 milligrams" of zoloft and guess what happened? my skin started burning and i got akathesia. charly groderick himself quit prozac cold turkey and a couple of months later took a single dose of prozac which also put him in the ER and that is what made him sick for years. rob robinson warns in one of his posts that going back on an ssri can make things much worse once you are in a cold turkey withdrawal. dr. ann blake tracy warns on her website that each time you go back on the ssri tends to be more dangerous and this is possibly why."

lov

Wow, I will NEVER quit my meds cold turkey now! I take Lexapro 10 mg a day which is a SSRI...so yeah, I will very slowly taper off when it's time to quit! I hope you completely heal from this unfortunate situation!

#6 stuart a

stuart a

Just Registered

ID: 17394

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:29 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems with Prozac. You are not alone.
I had almost exactly the same adverse reaction three years ago.
I spent a lot of time researching what went wrong with me, and the following may help:
Your serotonin system will be in "shock" from the effects of Prozac. The first path to recovery is not to stress the serotonin system any further. Avoid any further use of SSRIs and if you need an anti-depressant, try Mirtazapine.
The best and most immediate treatment for the anxiety are benzodiapines. See your doctor and discuss this with him.
Z drugs ( Zopiclone, Zopiderm ) can induce depression in cases of Prozac adverse reactions. Also, avoid Alphazolam ( Xanax ) for the same reason.
Another drug to avoid is Buspar ( Busparone ), which is a serotonine modulator. It has the unfortunate side-effect of giving clinical depression.
If the benzos don`t damp down the anxiety and panic attacks, try Stelazine ( trifluoperazine ) 1mg.
Prozac molecules tend to bind to fatty tissue and can persist for 2-6 months after you stop taking Prozac. Treat yourself gently and try not to take on any tasks that will cause anxiety.
I found that tyrosine, Vit B6 & B12 all helped.
There is a doctor in England Dr David Healy, who made a special study of the adverse effects of Prozac. Get his book out of the library.
See your shrink and get him to run a neurotransmitter profile. This is a urine test which will show exactly which of your neurotransmitters are abnormal. When you have that information, your medication can be adjusted to optimum.
You may still suffer from insomnia, because of the Prozac shocking and upsetting ( activating ) your body at bed time. Strangly a glass of warm milk really works wonders for quality of sleep.
Work on your nutrition and follow a good balanced diet. No fast food and definatley no Atkins.

Best of luck,

Stuart.

New Zealand.

Hi All~

Here is my story~

1. Heartburn
2. Headaches
5. Confusion
7. Akathasia
9. Stomach pains

I have talked with and seen various doctors, psychiatrists, therapists, and pharmacists to try to figure out what happened to me. Of course nobody really knows what happened. However, the consensus is that the pregnancy and subsequent miscarriage altered my body/brain chemistry/hormones and that AD's would no longer work for me like it had in the past. I am hopeful that I will fully recover and get back to who I was before starting back up in November of 2006, but have to admit that I sometimes wonder if the Prozac caused irreparable damage to my brain and/or nervous system.

My next course of action is to get my hormones tested to check for imbalances. I really wish I had checked out my hormones last November and had not been so quick to start back up on Prozac. I might have saved myself a 6 month E ticket ride through hell.

I would love to hear back from folks that have experienced adverse side effects from an SSRI to learn how long it took them to recover physically and emotionally.

PS~ I just read my post and found it interesting that my own written words cannot truly desribe the mental anguish and physical torture I endured. If it were it not for my adverse reaction to Prozac I not have the true empathy I now have for those unfortunate soles that suffer from debilitating depression/anxiety.

#7 stuart a

stuart a

Just Registered

ID: 17394

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:37 AM

Hi to you all,

I posted some observations on this list concerning recovery from an SSRI adverse reaction. This is a special message to all those still suffering: Be assured that recovery does happen. The human body has a wonderful capacity for self repair.
Prozac ( Paxal and the rest ) do not cause brain damage, but can paralyse or disable certain functions -for a while. Fortunately, the effect is temporary. I can`t tell you how long it takes to get better because we are all very individual in our body chemistry.
I am fortunate to be able to be able to look back along the course of the chemical storm that made me so ill. Eventually, it will be only an unpleasant memory ( a bit like a visit to the dentists ). So people, in those moments when you are freaking out, remember that you are going to get better. That much is inevitable.
Sort out your medications and be prepared to ask several doctors until you are satisfied.
Take things slowly and learn to take pleasure in simple acheavments.
-then one day, you will regain that feeling of being happy.

Regards,

Stuart.

Auckland. New Zealand.

#8 Supy19

Supy19

ID: 16543

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:03 AM

Hi to you all,

I posted some observations on this list concerning recovery from an SSRI adverse reaction. This is a special message to all those still suffering: Be assured that recovery does happen. The human body has a wonderful capacity for self repair.
Prozac ( Paxal and the rest ) do not cause brain damage, but can paralyse or disable certain functions -for a while. Fortunately, the effect is temporary. I can`t tell you how long it takes to get better because we are all very individual in our body chemistry.
I am fortunate to be able to be able to look back along the course of the chemical storm that made me so ill. Eventually, it will be only an unpleasant memory ( a bit like a visit to the dentists ). So people, in those moments when you are freaking out, remember that you are going to get better. That much is inevitable.
Sort out your medications and be prepared to ask several doctors until you are satisfied.
Take things slowly and learn to take pleasure in simple acheavments.
-then one day, you will regain that feeling of being happy.

Regards,

Stuart.

Auckland. New Zealand.

Well said ....

#9 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:33 PM

Hi All~

It has been almost 4 months since my last dose of Prozac following a SEVERE adverse reaction to the medication and thought I should post an update.

I want to stress that I was NOT depressed before taking Prozac. I was in a funk after my miscarriage and was looking for a magic bullet to make me feel better. I never should have looked to a powerful drug to solve a normal emotional response to a life occurance. General practitioners hand out anti-depressants without a second thought because they think the drugs are completely safe. Anti-depressants help a lot of people, but they can also cause harm if the body does not respond well to them. My life has been shattered by the aftermath of my adverse reaction to an SSRI.

Symptoms that have not yet abated:

Ability to concentrate/slowed thinking

Insomnia

Anxiety/depression/Blunted emotions

Anhedonia (the inability to feel, love, pleasure, joy, happiness)

Decreased Appetite

I really thought the adverse side effects I experienced while on the drug would abate w/in a few weeks of discontinuing the drug cold turkey, but it appears that I have a rare case of what is known as protracted withdrawal. Learn more about surviving an adverse reaction at http://www.antidepre...om/reaction.htm

lov
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 leo79

leo79

ID: 19464

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:01 PM

I recently had a bad reaction to Citalopram. I got prescribed it for depression and PTSD:

0-4 weeks: increase in anxiety. nausea, vomitting, sexual dysfunction
week 5: severe anxiety, dysphoria
week 6+ : constant depersonalisation and feelings of unreality. anxiety and depression not at all diminished.
tapered from 20mg to 0 in 8 weeks

After taking my last dose of 2.5mg I had 6 weeks of depersonalisation, physical fatigue, weird panic attacks ( dysphoric spells )

I never wanted to take another D*** SSRI again but for the last 2 weeks the depersonalisation has gone but I have had severe depression and feelings of panic a lot. This became unbearable and so I started prozac last week. I have been on it 3 times in the past for depression and it worked well for me.

Has anyone had any experience of a bad SSRI reaction which they remedied by taking another SSRI? I really really didnt want to have to do this as even during the acute withdrawal with all the depersonalisation and the rest I could cope just about ( I couldnt do a job, but I had some sort of life ), but as I say the last couple of weeks I have met with a scary kind of depression bordering on panic and need something to get me out of this hell.

I'm getting through each day but it's extremely tough. Any advice appreciated.

Take care everyone,

Leo.

#11 caelyn

caelyn

ID: 19266

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:30 AM

Hi All~

Here is my story~

1. Heartburn
2. Headaches
5. Confusion
7. Akathasia
9. Stomach pains

I am fairly sure that risperdal caused some damage to my memory & to my nervous system. Unfortunately I didnt keep track of anything when I was on it so I have no proof. It was a couple of years ago now & I went off it cold turkey back then & was put back on it a few times by a psychiatrist but kept going off it. My memory has been messed up ever since and I have nerve damage in both arms the neurologists cant seem to find a reason for. It really makes me wonder how safe the meds are but I decided to give it another try with a different med this time.

#12 leo79

leo79

ID: 19464

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hi Caelyn--

Please let me know how you get on.

#13 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

Hi again~

I thought it was time that I updated the progress since my adverse reaction........

It has been 7 months since my last dose and there has been minor improvements since my last update, but I am still in "recovery mode" and I feel like I am just suffering and existing instead of living my life.

Symptoms that have not yet abated:

1. Ability to concentrate/slowed thinking - this symptom has really wreaked havoc on my career. I'm a self-employed business advisor and I have had to turn away new clients due to this symptom.

2. Insomnia - I can now fall a sleep more easily most nights, but the sleep is very light and I never feel rested. I still cannot take naps. I used to be a champion sleeper!

3. Anxiety - I NEVER suffered from anxiety before the adverse reaction. My central nervous system is still f'd up.

4. Depression/Anhedonia (the inability to feel, love, pleasure, joy, happiness) - I don't know what in the heck happened to my brain, but I was NEVER depressed before the adverse reaction.

5. Blunted emotions

6. No Appetite - lost 35 pounds and feel really weak.

7. Suicidal Ideation - the suffering has gone on for soooo long I have suicidal thoughts to ease the suffering that is 24/7.

I had NO idea that these drugs could be so devastating to the mind and body. I just blindly trusted my doctors that these drugs were completely safe.

Learn more about surviving an adverse reaction and protracted withdrawal symptoms at http://www.antidepre...om/reaction.htm

To give you all an idea as to the suffering I have and continue to endure I have inserted the following message I posted on paxilprogress.org a support forum for folks that are trying to withdraw from and suffer adverse reactions from SSRI's~

As you can see from my signature, I sufferred a severe adverse reaction to Prozac. I was on it for 8 weeks then quit ct 7 months ago. Since that time there have been improvements with my physical symptoms, but my emotional symptoms have not yet improved.

I would describe myself as having been a fairly calm, positive, content, and independent person before my severe adverse reaction to Prozac. Yes, I was in a bit of a funk after my miscarriage, but I was by no means depressed. I was still happily working (I'm self employed) and enjoying my favorite hobbies (tennis, reading, decorating the house, and hanging out with my dogs and husband) and making plans for the future. Life is never perfect, but I was enjoying myself for the most part with very few complaints. Then…I take a supposedly safe anti-depressant and BAM within a week I’m dealing w/suicide ideation, sever anxiety, severe depression, questioning my sanity on a daily basis, along with a host of other debilitating side effects that refuse to go away even after discontinuation of the drug.

Now I am just a shell of the person I once was, as my brain doesn’t seem to have the ability to feel love, pleasure, happiness or joy. I look at my husband, 4 dogs, and 2 cats and feel no loving emotions and it brings me to my knees. Despite my suffering, I was recently in Alaska (the trip was booked a year ago) and the beauty was completely lost on me. While I was able to acknowledge how beautiful the scenery was, I was unable to “feel it” or enjoy it. I was also unable to connect with the very fun, long-time friends that were on the Alaska trip with us. I remember thinking about how much I was missing out on even though I was physically there with everybody. Is this what it feels like to have autism?? OMG, it is torturous!!

Yes, there have been improvements……..while I am now able to sleep, I NEVER feel sleepy. When midnight roles around I tell myself it is time to sleep and I’m able to fall asleep w/in a half hour w/o sleep aids, but it is not the “normal” sleep I used to enjoy before the Prozac debacle. I used to love to take naps…….they are simply impossible these days. While eating no longer brings nausea and pain, my brain still does not alert me that it is time to eat via hunger pains. Like never feeling sleepy, I never feel hungry and have to remind myself to eat. Oh, how I used to look forward to eating………but not anymore. Food simply does not taste the same and I never enjoy what I eat. There have also been some improvements in other areas. My brain was so messed up in the beginning of this nightmare that I was unable to drive. I can now drive, but I have to concentrate very hard (I drove on the wrong side of the road a couple of months ago). My brain was so muddled I was unable to do simple tasks such as wash the dishes or do laundry. I am able to do those things (but I don't due to the apathy). I was unable to do suduko puzzles or solve the rubik's cube (which I could do with ease before), I can do both now, but it takes me longer and I don't enjoy it.

I have been having these strange urges of “wanting to go home” (even when I am at home) which has perplexed me for sometime and I think I have finally figured out that I get these urges because I am homesick for my pre-prozac self. I really want to have feelings of being self assured, safe, calm, warm, sleepy, hungry, cozy and content again. I want to have lunch w/friends and joke and laugh. I don’t want to know what suicide ideation feels like. I want to be innocent of the mental torture I've endured all of these months. I want to click my heals together and chant...."there's no place like home" and materilize in my bed the day before I popped the Prozac pill with the knowledge I have now.

I am no longer independent, as the drug severely impaired my ability to work. I can’t imagine what would have become of me if I had suffered this severe adverse reaction as a single person! I would probably be homeless or in a mental institution. I shudder at the thought. My husband has been amazingly supportive through out this whole ordeal. However, he is frustrated with me because I am not rejoicing that I have experienced some improvements. I suppose that I am grateful on some level that I have seen improvement, but I how can I rejoice when I am incapable of feeling joy? I tried to explain to my husband that I feel like I'm drowing in despair and that it doesn't matter if I'm at 100 feet or 2 feet below the surface, I'm still drowning.

My altered brain does not allow me to have hope for the future. My altered brain only allows me to suffer, think negative thoughts, and feel sorry for myself. I am just existing, not living. I question daily how can I be expected to go on existing when the pleasure pathways in my brain have been altered/damaged with no guarantee of recovery? Is life worth living if a person cannot even enjoy one simple pleasure in life?

Lov

Severe Depression (NEVER had before)
Brain Heaviness/Numbness/Lack of Concentration
Apathy/Disconnected from loved ones
Anhedonia
Suicide Ideation
Insomnia (some improvement)
Anxiety (improved)
Sever Lack of Appetite (some improvement)
Debilitating Stomach pains (Abated)

Basically, I am a zombie due to a chemical lobotomy!

[

Edited by lov4k9s, 21 December 2007 - 07:52 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:02 PM

I wanted to comment on the above excerpt from my original post.

1. The situational depression I refer to above was actually grief from the break-up of a long term relationship. I went to see a therapist to help me deal with the hearbreak and she asked me the standard 10 questions and diagnosed me as having clinical depression and suggested Prozac. I googled clinical depression and took the online tests and I did indeed meet the clinical depression criteria. I bought the "chemical imbalance" theory hook-line-and sinker. Now I can see that it was complete BS!!!! It is absolutely normal to cry, feel sad, and distracted for over 2 weeks after a long term relationship breaks up! How can the medical profession actually believe that someone feeling symptoms for only 2 weeks is clinically depressed???? Big Pharma influence, perhaps???

2. Looking back I cannot honestly tell you if the Prozac ever helped me because I reconciled with my boyfriend within 2 months of starting the Prozac and we were married by the end of the year. I can tell you with certainty that I felt extremely irritable and aggitated when I discontnued the drug several times ( I wanted off because of the sexual side effects).

3. After 7 months of researching SSRI's I've since learned that the irritability and agitation I felt after the quick weans off of Prozac in the past were actually common withdrawal symptoms. If I had known about the common withdrawal symptoms I never would have restarted the drug. I truly believed at the time that Prozac quelled the irritable aggitated side of me because those symptoms always abated when I restarted the drug. I never actually thought about the fact that I wasn't irritable and aggitated before starting the Prozac. I've since learned that "rebound anxiety" and "rebound depression" are also common withdrawal symptoms and that many people withdrawing from SSRI's mistake the withdrawal symptoms for a relapse of what ever condition was present when they started the drug and often find themselves riding the med merry-go-round or poly-drugged (or both) to "treat" the withdrawal symptoms.

BTW~ I've learned all of this from reading the following books and various websites (I could write a thesis on SSRI's):

Prozac: Panacea or Pandora (by Dr. Ann Blake Tracy)

Your Drug May Be Your Problem (by Dr. Peter Breggin)

The Anti-Depressant Solution (by Dr. Joseph Glenmullen)

Again, please know that I am only posting to inform, not to scare or influence anyone regarding anti-depressants.

lov

Edited by lov4k9s, 21 December 2007 - 07:54 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:02 PM

Me again~

Time for another update to report my recovery progress since my adverse reaction to Prozac 9 months ago........

The recovery during the first 8 months was very, very slow.........like watching grass grow. I'm happy to report that I've noticed significant improvement over the last month.

Symptoms Status:

1. Ability to concentrate/slowed thinking - Much Improved

2. Insomnia - I am sleeping much better now. I still cannot take naps though (and I miss it!).

3. Anxiety - 95% improved! Still experience some when I first wake up.

4. Depression/Anhedonia (the inability to feel, love, pleasure, joy, happiness) - Improving!! I don't know what in the heck happened to my brain, but I was NEVER depressed before the adverse reaction.

5. Blunted emotions - Improving

6. No Appetite - Much improved, but still not hungry during the day.

7. Suicidal Ideation - Gone

8. Cryin Jags - I cried EVERYDAY since this nightmare began. I haven't cried in 5 days. (Before the adverse reaction I only cried a handful of times in my adult life)

lov

Edited by lov4k9s, 12 February 2008 - 07:22 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 laralee

laralee

Platinum Member

ID: 21895

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:08 AM

Reading through some of the posts here I thought I would share my short experience with Paxil.
A couple of months back my psychiatrist thought it would be beneficial to add Paxil 40 mg to my daily dose of Effexor XR 225 mg daily. Within a couple of days I started to experience difficulty swallowing all of my pills. It felt like the Paxil capsules were just stuck within the pyloric sphincter of my stomach. This lead to extreme heart burn, nausea and some emesis.
I continues to take the paxil and supplemented with Zantac for the heartburn. Although I received some relief from the heartburn I went on to develop severe tremors and extreme anxiety like I'd never felt before. A few days of this and I just could not take anymore and just abruptly stopped the Paxil. The anxiety receded relatively quickly within a week or so, but I am still experiencing some issues with the tremors particularly in my legs.
Insomnia, still haven't been able to get into any normal sort of sleep pattern
Exagerated startle reflex. I've never been this bad, I almost hit the roof if I am the least bit startled.

Interested to know if others have experienced these symptoms and how long it took for the tremors to completely dissipate.

Edited by laralee, 19 February 2008 - 06:15 AM.

Michelle
Live each day as if it were your last. You never know what tomorrow may bring
99% of all families are dysfunctional the other 1% are in denial.

#17 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

ID: 12666

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:33 AM

These drugs can be very dangerous. I am quite annoyed at my health service for offering types of drugs that can cause this level of disturbance, since anything which is redeemed potentially dangerous in this country is banned (like illegal drug).
Beating depression since 2007

#18 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

These drugs can be very dangerous. I am quite annoyed at my health service for offering types of drugs that can cause this level of disturbance, since anything which is redeemed potentially dangerous in this country is banned (like illegal drug).

I couldn't agree more!

Before my adverse reaction I had NO clue that these drugs could be so destructive to the mind and body. What is really scary to me is that most doctors out there don't know all of the risks involved either because the pharmacutical companies play them down. I wish that doctors would reserve these types of drugs as a last resort instead of dispensing them out at a first line of defense for folks experiencing situational depressions (relationship break-up, grief, loss of job, miscarriage, stress etc..).

I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I went from being a fully functional relatively happy person that was experiencing a mild funk to an anxious, akathasia ridden, suicidally depressed person within a week of starting the drug.

Statistically speaking I am an extreme case of this drug gone horribly wrong, however, I've learned that statistics don't mean a damm thing to people who are on the wrong side of them.

Edited by lov4k9s, 21 February 2008 - 03:39 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 jenniebabe838

jenniebabe838

ID: 22988

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 08:21 PM

Hi, I was on Prozac for a few months, and I had a horrible time with it. I was shaky all the time, and then I had the sudden impulse to run in front of an oncoming car, and I decided that was enough. I'm on Zoloft now, and I'm doing much better.

#20 d a n

d a n

ID: 23007

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 11:59 AM

hi lov4k,

i think i could be going through the same thing. i was on prozac about a year ago and thought it worked great, no terrible side effects. i quit cold turkey and was off of it for a while. i recently decided to go back on it after having problems with ocd. after taking it i felt nothing like i had before on the medicine. i felt really agitated and had low motivation and just felt like sitting around. another scary symptom is that i started feeling really uncoordinated and shaky. i play the piano and im a music major at college and im supposed to give my senior recital in a few months. i have hardly been practicing because the shaking is so bad. I have stopped taking the prozac. i took 20 milligrams for two weeks and then took 40 milligrams for 3 days and the symptoms started getting so bad i had to stop. i have been off for two months now and the symptoms are still bad. ive been searching the internet and just about evey site says the drug should wash out within 4-6 weeks. did it take anybody else this long for the drug to wash out? the only thing i could figure was that the first time i took prozac i had been on a different generic brand. the 40 milligram pills were half blue half white. the brand was PAR. this different brand 40 milligram was white with two orange stripes. brand was Sandoz. lov4k, did you by chance take different generic brands? ive seen people say there is a difference even though they ar supposed to be the same. i feel for you. nine months must have been terrible.

Edited by d a n, 23 February 2008 - 12:00 PM.

#21 Fredericosg

Fredericosg

ID: 21156

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:42 PM

I read all the posts and I´m too newbie to start a topic so , here´s my little question: how does Prozac interact with Bupropion(Zyban, Wellbutrin).

I have been taking Prozac for some months and feeling really good 40mg daily, along with up to 6mg of clonazepam (which is Klonopin).
But I usually take only 3-4mg of clonazepam.
I have taken half a pill of Wellbutrin I had from last year when I took it for some time. Wondering would that interact in any dangerous way with Fluoxetine? I don´t think so, but better be careful, anyway I only took 75mg of Bupropion. It is unlikely that I suffer any serious side-effect. But I was wondering, can these 2 ADs be taken together and do they work?
Well I´m going to test it and see it for myself, meanwhile I hope someone who takes or has taken this combination gives me a hint.
Love!

#22 Fredericosg

Fredericosg

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:44 PM

I forgot to mention, I have taken the half Wellbutrin pill to help me stay awake. Fluoxetine is great - when I am not sleeping , and my parents are complaining a lot about me sleeping too much.

#23 Fredericosg

Fredericosg

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:57 AM

It´s 9 AM here and I´m still wide awake ... I think WB works for reducing Fluoxetine-induced fatigue. I also feel very energetic.

I hope I can sleep some 8 hours per night at least, which is difficult for me taking WB.

Anyway I am sorry about your experience with Prozac. Every human being has a unique organism. So we react differently to the same chemicals.

I had a terrible experience with Sertraline, while most people love it. I felt numb and cold. And one day I took 2 100mg pills instead of the usual 1 pill ... had to run from the Classroom and take lots of Klonopin to cool down. I felt my heart racing and I felt muscles on the neck and back really contracted until the Klonopin kicked in.

So, hope you are doing well with whatever you are treating your depression with now.

As for me, it seems I´m not going to sleep so soon.

#24 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:30 AM

I found a personal story on the internet that was very similair to mine and thought I would post it here in case there are others out there desperately seeking information on what is happening to them due to an adverse reacations to an SSRI:

This is just another example to hopefully serve as a warning to the
> unwary and/or unprepared.
>
> On Prozac, My Life Took a Drastic Turn for the Worse
>
> I am a Prozac survivor. My name is Jon and I'm a 26 year old who
> suffered a devastating reaction to Prozac. I was put on Prozac in the
> summer of 1994 after receiving the diagnosis of ADD. The doctor
> originally tried me on Ritalin, but it made me feel revved up and
> extremely anxious/nervous. After being put on Prozac my life took a
> drastic turn for the worse. I was only on it for about
>
> 5-10 days, but it literally blew my system to pieces. I quickly was
> launched
>
> into a hell where my nerves literally felt raw. Intense misery was my
> only emotion and was constant, my head had so much tension in it that
> it felt like it was going to explode, I was having hot flashes that
> were unreal, and my memory took a real hit. The depth of my suffering
> is more than I could ever explain with words so I will trust that you
> know exactly what type of hell I'm referring to. To make a long story
> short it took me four years to even begin to be able to feel at all
> like me again. The pain has finally lifted to a point
>
> that I can actually see a light at the end of the tunnel. The scars
> are forever, but I'm just thrilled to be coming out. I'm not there
> yet, but very
>
> soon. I think I may be all the way back in another year or so.
>
> Anyway, the person I became after Prozac was just horrible. It
> required every single ounce of my strength to get where I am today.
> One of the things that helped me to make it back was an intense
> interest I took in understanding the science or pharmacology behind my
> reaction. I was actually relatively healthy before taking Prozac. I
> had an anxiety condition and ADD. I had never before
>
> suffered from any serious type of depression and certainly had never
> felt ANY of the things that Prozac caused me to feel. My reaction was
> swift and just devastated me. I had to temporarily drop out of college
> and fly home to live
>
> with my family. I saw a battery of psychiatrists who diagnosed me with
> things that I knew I didn't have.
>
> The most devastating part of my reaction occurred about a month after
> the reaction began and a psychiatrist told me that there was no way
> Prozac could
>
> hurt me and that I was probably going to become a full blown schizophrenic.
> I
> was devastated. Especially since I was feeling better than ever before
> taking Prozac and had even gotten into and Ivy league Institution. A
> big goal of mine because I was diagnosed with a learning disability
> early on and school was always a struggle for me. Well I have
> certainly proved her wrong and occasionally give her a phone call to
> remind her that toxic reactions to common medications can and do
> occur.
>
> It was obvious to me from the beginning that Prozac set off my
> reaction and my goal soon became figuring out how it happened. I don't
> have a formal scientific background though my father is a doctor and
> is also a high level executive in the pharmaceutical industry. That
> alone gave me a unique view of this situation. I began to research
> every avenue I could find and read any and all books on the brain.
> Included is your book which I consider to be a top-notch
>
> resource for understanding this reaction.
>
> After four years of intense research, visits with numerous doctors
> including trouble shooters who only deal with toxic reactions I have
> come to a conclusion for what I believe is going on. I have no doubt
> that the reasons behind my reaction involve an extreme sensitivity in
> my serotonin system as almost all
>
> drugs, vitamins, or foods that directly interact with the serotonin
> system give me problems. These includes things like vitamin B6,
> tryptophan, carbohydrates, etc. In addition, I strongly believe that
> my anxiety symptoms prior to Prozac were the result of this
> sensitivity in my serotonin system and that this same sensitivity is
> what predisposed me to having such a bad reaction to Prozac.
>
> Prozac did more than just alter the chemicals in my system as it
> became obvious that my nerves literally felt more sensitive.
> Everything felt so amped up. Extreme firing is a understatement. I
> felt like a million volts of electricity was surging through me and my
> body and mind just couldn't take it.
> Almost everyone agreed that my symptoms were the result of a massive
> downregulation of the 5HT receptors. However, what was never clear was
> how could this cause such terrible symptoms. I may be reaching with
> this theory,
>
> but I think I may be onto something and it's something that you
> mention extensively in your book. The CRF or HPA axis is said to be
> regulated by the
>
> serotonin system. I believe that the massive over stimulation of the
> 5HT system I experienced led to a massive output of CRF into my
> system.
>
> Because of my fathers role in the biotech and pharmaceutical
> industries I've been able to talk with many scientists working with
> CRF anatagonists and every time I review experiments done with animals
> where CRF was injected directly into the brains, I'm shocked to hear
> the side effects that are commonly seen.
> Most of them seem to be very much related to the adrenaline surge that
> takes
>
> place. My massive head pain, burning legs and back, severe anxiety,
> and depression all seem to be related. In addition, I suffered a
> massive loss of
>
> libido which is also characteristic of high levels of CRF. Every time
> I look at research on CRF I am reminded of my own symptoms.
>
> Experts say that my symptoms closely resemble what would be seen if
> you were to inject a sizable quantity of CRF into humans or animals. I
> also developed
>
> severe acid reflux, very low libido, appetite loss, extreme depression
> and horrible levels of anxiety. All symptoms of things that are seen
> when CRF levels are high. The last doctor I saw agreed that my
> symptoms resembled a super-amped version of major depression and a
> horrible level of chronic panic.
> I feel like my body is surging with adrenaline and it really hurts.
>
> I want to give you credit for being the first doctor to ever link
> the Prozac reactions to an overabundance of activity in the HPA axis.
> I truly believe you are correct and just wish there were some way for
> this to be proven. I guess
>
> only extensive scientific studies can accomplish this. Thanks for the
> wonderful research Dr. Tracy. I respect your work very much. And
> thanks for the research and writings you've done on Prozac reactions
> and the stance you have taken.
> I've read everything you've written. You and I know these reactions
> are real.
> The bad news is that others will fall victim to this. I know I'll keep
> getting better with time, but I really don't want to just walk away.
> More people will go through this and it is my duty to at least try to
> make a change.
>
> The psychiatrist who put me on Prozac gave me two medications that I
> suffered severe adverse reactions to just before he placed me on
> Prozac. He put me on
>
> Ritalin first which made me really anxious and racy feeling. Also
> broke me out in hives. Then he put me on Buspar which made my heart
> pound and made me feel like I was going to pass out. I think this
> should have warned him that my system was just too sensitive and maybe
> someone with experience in treating patients with hyper-sensitive
> reactions to medications should have been called in. He put me on
> Prozac and even after I complained of initial side effects convinced
> me to stay on it. After my reaction he didn't even call my parents
>
> and wrote me off by saying that I was manic.
>
> Yeah right, manic?!! I was down in the dumps and couldn't even get
> out of bed.
> Manic is the last way I'd describe myself. I think the other bad thing
> was that he diagnosed me differently every time he saw me. The first
> time when he put me on Ritalin he said I had ADD. The next time I had
> GAD. And the third time with prozac I had OCD and ADD. I just feel
> like he was very irresponsible with me
>
> and didn't respect that my system was simply too sensitive. He's a
> nice guy so I don't hate him, but he is reckless. He told me that he
> has ADD and I can't
>
> help but wonder if he wasn't paying attention to what was happening with me.
> I
> requested his notes after my reaction and couldn't believe how
> inaccurate they were. He had me down as taking and trying things I
> never took.
>
> Jon
>
> WARNING: Tapering off very, very, SLOWLY-- over months, not just
> weeks, under a qualified physician's supervision -- has proven the
> safest and most effective method of withdrawal from this type of
> medication, thereby giving the body time to readjust its own chemical
> levels.
>
> Thanks to Dr. Ann Blake Tracy for research and technical information.
>

Edited by lov4k9s, 17 March 2008 - 09:38 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

Hi Internet~

Time to post again on my journal thread to update the recovery progress from my adverse reaction to Prozac 13 months ago. I was hoping that I could report that I was fully recovered, but sadly that is not the case (yet). Please know that most people that have experienced an adverse reaction will recover within a matter of weeks after discontinuing this drug.

Status of the most prominent symptoms which I NEVER had in my life prior to the adverse reaction:

1. Ability to concentrate/slowed thinking - Still improving

2. Insomnia - I couldn't sleep AT ALL for months. Now I can usually fall asleep but wake up after 4 hours ~sometimes can get back to sleep, other times not. Sometimes I can sleep through the night.

3. Anxiety - Still experience when I first wake up and very noticable even during the most minor of stressors.

4. Depression - Was SEVERE for 8 months and then began waxing/wanning mild/moderate. (Major motivational problems!)

5. Anhedonia (the inability to feel, love, pleasure, joy, happiness) No improvement since last update. (This is the worst symptom, by far!! This is affecting my marriage)

5. Blunted emotions - No improvement since last update

6. No Appetite - No improvement since last update

7. Suicidal Ideation - The SSRI induced SI is gone. Sometimes the thoughts pop into my head when I am feeling sorry for myself because I think I have brain damage from this drug, but nothing serious.

8. Crying Jags - I've cried almost EVERYDAY since this nightmare began. These come and go now for no apparent reason..it is really strange......it is almost physiological in nature and feels like absurd grief.

9. No libido

10. General overall weirdness that I can't fully describe.......best description I can think of is that I have a slight case of depersonalization/derealization.

Being on the drug and the first 8-10 months after discontinuation felt like what I imagine a horrible acid trip would be like. So, overall things have improved........but incremental versions of hell is still hell.

I recently corresponded with a prominent neuropsychiatrist and he confirmed for me that my symptoms are "common" for folks that suffer through a protracted recovery from an adverse reaction to a SSRI or from withdrawing from a SSRI (especially for folks that cold turkey). Time is the only healer for toxic reaction to an SSRI and that attempting to use another drug would only cause further insult to my damaged system. While the validation was nice, learning there is no antidote was disheartening. I was assured that I would see full recovery, but he could not give me a firm timeline. The general consensus is 18 months to 2 years for full recovery, the same as if I had incurred a traumatic brain injury. Scary, but at least there is some hope. All I can do is have faith that my family and friends will still be there when I wake from this nightmare.

If you would like to learn more about surviving an adverse reaction please PM member for website.
lov

"If I can't be a shining example, then I shall serve as a terrible warning."

Edited by Isabeau, 28 June 2008 - 06:36 PM.
Contained Website address

Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 Whitelily

Whitelily

Silver Member

ID: 24985

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 12:27 AM

(((lov4k9's)))

Just read your story and I have such compassion for that. Boy, what road you took. I wanted to let you know that I had some similiar experience with Prozac and SSRI's but Prozac in general seemed to be the worst. Depression got worse, not better. Decreased libido, apathy, no emotion, wanted to sleep all the time up to 18 hours a day, was like a walking zombie. Because of it, I am not on medication currently at all (which I wouldn't recommend for everyone). I am suspicious of any drug. They are, after all, drugs.
I do hope you are doing well and wish you a recovery from your experience. I am glad you shared this with others as others may also have similiar experiences and it is wonderful to share as we know that no one is alone.

Peace.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it". Helen Keller

Stay aware, in present moment, practice mindfullness *Accept what is * Be gentle with yourself * Don't take thoughts so seriously * Question thoughts * Don't suppress thoughts or feelings, allow them to be *Don't oppose, judge, or label thoughts, just acknowledge they are there * Stay focused on the heart * And the lifeforce * Take time to meditate * Don't take things personally * Create a space* Release old programs * Eat healthily * Exercise * Lighten up and laugh

Keep on keepin' on.

#27 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:39 PM

(((lov4k9's)))

Just read your story and I have such compassion for that. Boy, what road you took. I wanted to let you know that I had some similiar experience with Prozac and SSRI's but Prozac in general seemed to be the worst. Depression got worse, not better. Decreased libido, apathy, no emotion, wanted to sleep all the time up to 18 hours a day, was like a walking zombie. Because of it, I am not on medication currently at all (which I wouldn't recommend for everyone). I am suspicious of any drug. They are, after all, drugs.
I do hope you are doing well and wish you a recovery from your experience. I am glad you shared this with others as others may also have similiar experiences and it is wonderful to share as we know that no one is alone.

Peace.

Thank you very much. Your sentiments are greatly appreciated.

I do update my progress here for the very reason you stated. Not only does it help someone who maybe suffering to know they are not alone, readings someone's progress from months of pure physical pain and mental despair to full recovery can provide comfort to the reader. I haven't reached full recovery yet, but hope to get there soon and will be sure to post when I do. I had a very hard time believing that I would ever recover, I just didn't think it was possible and to be honest still wonder if it is possible to get the "old" me back. I was fortunate to find a support site for folks that have suffered like I do to help me through this nightmare.

lov

Edited by lov4k9s, 30 June 2008 - 01:41 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 03:24 PM

Hi again~

I am happy to report that I experienced significant improvement in the month of July and started feeling back to my old self again. I now consider myself to be 100% recovered from my SEVERE adverse reaction to Prozac. I'm happy, healthy, and drug free to boot!

As I've stated before..........statistically speaking I am an extreme case of this drug gone horribly wrong, however, I've learned that statistics don't mean a damm thing to the people who are on the wrong side of them. So, if you suspect that you might be suffering from a severe adverse reaction to or withdrawal from an SSRI please feel free to PM me if you have any questions (I don't visit this often anymore).

Healing thoughts to all!

lov

Edited by lov4k9s, 12 November 2008 - 03:25 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Guest_Giz_*

Guest_Giz_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:27 PM

I have PM'd the OP, but I felt I should post here too..

Having had some nasty side effects to both an SSRI and an SNRI, I was merely convinced that they were not for me..
I found that nutrition helped me far more than the drugs. And became interested in how many people there were out there like me-for whom nutrtion was the root of their problem. I posted this in order to get the word out that there may be more to it than we have been led to believe..

A little more research into it, and Im finding out more and more that makes me mistrustful of the drugs, and the people allowing them, the people making them, and the people handing them out to anyone who says they feel sad..
I know that there are really depressed people out there, but I also know that there are scientific studies that show the effects of anti depressant medication to be "insignificant", that show they raise the levels of aggressive violent outbursts as well as suicidal ideation, and that show that many of these problems are linked with diet and therefore do not require pharmaceutical intervention. But its still the first course of action.. Of course if the problem is situational then nutrition is not the answer, therapy is, but thats not even first stop on the treatment cycle..

WHY????

These are heavy duty drugs. They should be a last resort! Why is it so easy for us to get them, and more to the point why are so many people so eager to push them? I have on many occasions on this very forum witnessed people talk about how their AD doesnt work or stopped working and everyones answer is "try another one".. Perhaps thats not the answer? Perhaps we should stop attacking symptoms and start attacking causes..

We all know that nutrients are vital, we fall apart without them. Our bones bend, our skin breaks, or we die.. It is the drug that is not meant to be there-and instead of insuring that all of these vital nutrients are present in the diet-we are handed drugs, that have no hope of ever addressing a nutritional cause..

For example-a person suffering from dysglycemia could possibly-depending on the doctor be considered to suffer from Bi Polar disorder, Borderline Personality, Depression, Anxiety, Chronic Fatigue, or many others..(Bearing in mind that the test for any of these disorders/illnesses are questionnaire based-same as the ones in the post linked above) To be put on an anti depressant in this case would be to ignore the development of type II diabetes, and ultimately lead to the addition of new pharmaceutical needs..

I swear it gets me angry, knowing that people are put through this suffering rather than simply being educated on the necessity of a healthy diet rich in vitamins & minerals..

But in case you werent aware, in the EU there is a law in the the process of being implemented to try and stop us from having the choice to treat our problems nutritionally.. They want to "regulate" the industry, to make it Big Pharma friendly-and knock out the competition.. They were actually going to ban natural source vitamins in favour of synthetic ones.. (Thankfully Dr Verkerk and his associates in the ANH stopped that part of it), next they want to limit the dosages available to paltry amounts (and I should point out that the RDA of a vitamin is merely the amount you require per day to not get a physical deficiency-like scurvy, beri beri, rickets etc) they are using flawed science to arrive at these figures, and if they are successful-it could have dire implications for anyone serious about keeping themselves healthy.

Big Pharma are slowly taking over the world. They make Microsoft look like small fries.. They release these drugs and are able to manipulate the evidence taken from clinical trials to suit their own needs and boost sales..

Your doctor may have taken the Hippocratic oath, but noone in the pharmaceutical industry has. They dont care about you being healthy-all they care about is profit. They just lie to the doctors to get them to peddle their wares..
(Did you know that theres an association of Doctors in the States called the "No Free Lunch Association" who refuse to see pharmaceutical reps because they would rather stay objective about their claims, theres even a new branch of medicine called Evidence Based Medicine because of the amount of blatant lies published in medical journals)

For further info please google;

Credence/Campaign for Truth in Medicine/Phillip Day-The campaign for truth in medicine, its figurehead, and the informational website.

The Alliance for Natural Health- fighting the implementation of the EU food supplements directive on jan 1st 2010 in the EU courts-need donations for the court case!!

The Natural Health Federation the only natural health campaigners granted speaking access to the Codex Alimentarius Commissions meetings. Also have lots of info on their site.

The article "Foregone Conclusions" by Richard Smith, The Guardian, 14th January 2004. (note, Richard Smith is the editir of the British Medical Journal.

Big Pharma Big Bucks-available on You tube

And We Become Silent, by Kevin P Miller, narrated by Dame Judi Dench. (hes made a few docs about psychiatric treatment and meds..may be worth checking out-but I havent watched them so I wont recommend them til I have)

#30 dolphace44

dolphace44

Just Registered

ID: 31253

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:01 PM

Lov,

I know you don't look on here much lately, but I just wanted to post a thank you to you. I went through the exact same problems with Prozac. I stopped taking it about 2 months ago and am still having the adverse affects, only not as bad as they were. I had the same terrible reactions to taking Prozac and my doctor had absolutely no clue what to do, other than increase my dosage and try to add more drugs to offset the affects of the Prozac. I too had taken Prozac several years ago, and had the same problems but thought it was just me. Eventually those problems went away while I was taking it so I thought nothing of it.

Then I went off prozac several years later and then tried it again this past June. What a living nightmare and hell. It was so awful. It is frustrating having to deal with the after affects of something you now know was doing the damage. But I am trusting in God to pull me through. Also, I have read through your posting several times when I get discouraged to see that you have overcome and got through it. I was also encouraged by Stuart's posting as well.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you again for posting this. You have been a lot of help to me.

#31 flippingout

flippingout

Gold Member

ID: 11138

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

when i was on prozac, which was only for a very short time.. i got a systemic rash, achy joints, and couldn't pee. i mean, i could not pee for a few days straight.. maybe a few drops here and there, but it was really scary. i was on this med less than a week. i will never take it again.
Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
-Family Guy

#32 dolphace44

dolphace44

Just Registered

ID: 31253

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

Hey all. Lov had a very helpful website listed on one of her postings. Unfortunately, that website has expired. Luckily, I had visited that website awhile back and cut and paste it so that I could print it. I think the information is very good and really, the only I could find that addressed specifically how to handle an adverse reaction. So I am going to post it here so it is available to all of you who are suffering. I know that I am still going through this and it does take some time, but here are the helpful tips from that website:

After your reaction to an (SSRI/SSNRI) Anti-Depressant
The first 3-18 months
One of the long term side-effects after experiencing a reaction to an (SSRI) antidepressant, is an extreme hyper-sensitivity of the nervous system to light, sound, supplements, herbs and fabricated synthetic vitamins. Furthermore physical symptoms such as muscle tightness, electrical shocks through the brain and the body, feelings of burning on the surface or inside of the skin (deregulation of pain perception), visual and/or auditory hallucinations, as well as emotional and psychological problems. For a more detailed discussion regarding above mentioned side-effects click here.
We do not recommend to expose your body to synthetic chemicals whilst experiencing more or less severe hypersensitivity of the nervous system. We rather recommend to get your essential elements from preferably organic low acid food. Low acidic foods have a high pH value which is ALKALINE or BASIC! You need to 'alkalinize' your system (body) above a pH value of '7' !
Eat enough fruit and vegetables in a variable alkalinizing balanced diet, and drink lots of water. For instance tomatoes, bananas, kiwi's, broccoli, aloe vera, carrots, cabbage, beans, cucumbers, etc., are a very rich source of essential minerals, vitamins and amino acids. Do not take 5-HTP to create more serotonin in your brain. By simply leaving your serotonergic neural system alone, you will assist it the most to find it's own natural balance again. Unfortunately this will take some time.
Do not charge your nervous system like you always did before your reaction to an (SSRI) antidepressant. If you charge your nervous system too much, like too much stress, a surgery, unhealthy eating patterns, etc., you actually delay your recovery. You will have to learn to listen to your body, what means that you know when to withdraw and when to get active.
When you suffered a reaction to an (SSRI) antidepressant your nervous system becomes hyper-sensitive to ALL stimuli. What are stimuli? It is everything that acts on your nervous system (directly or indirectly) like light, sound, but also violence on TV, stressors, certain supplements or fabricated vitamins, etc. All these things act as stimulants to your nervous system. Actually the effects of a psychoactive drug and watching a horror movie are very much comparative to each other...that is: they BOTH act on your nervous system!
The key solution to recovery is NOT to stimulate your nervous system, but, to sedate your nervous system. Every time when you stimulate a nervous system that in fact needs to be sedated to recover, you delay the process of healing. We know it will be impossible to lock your self up in a dark, silent room and this is definitely not what we are trying to say. You just have to learn when to withdraw yourself (and thus your nervous system) from stimuli and when to come out.
Consider sweat baths (sauna baths). This is a very healthy habit. Sweat baths are extremely sedating to the nervous system. When you take a sweat bath on a regular base this will strengthen your cardiovascular system and improve the blood circulation. Next to this, go out in nature, trees, green, oxygen, gentle walking, etc..
About taking supplements
We learned that everyone who is experiencing (SSRI) antidepressant side-effects, is looking for the quick relief. People are experimenting with whatever supplement or fabricated synthetic vitamin they can get their hands on. Simply avoid this if that is possible.
As previously mentioned above, we do not recommend to expose your body to synthetic chemicals whilst experiencing more or less severe hypersensitivity of the nervous system. We rather recommend to get your essential elements from preferably organic low acid food in a variable balanced diet.
Two to three simple bananas and kiwi's, an egg-sandwich, 2-3 glasses of milk, a few tomatoes and an avocado a day provides many of the essential vitamins, (trace)minerals & amino acids you need on a daily base. Vegetables especially rich in essential elements are: Peas, Potatoes, Broccoli, Squash (Summer), Spinach, Lima Beans & Kale. The taste of nature is nice and it saves you money on unnecessary supplements too!
However we also understand that getting your essentials from a variable diet requires some skills in preparation and cooking of your daily meal. Not everyone is able or willing to do that. In that case you need to add your essential elements otherwise. We understand if you feel the need to take a daily multi-vitamin complex. There are many different multi-vitamin complex products, unfortunately a lot of rubbish amongst them. Most of them contain extra added synthetic chemicals which you must avoid. If you are going to take a multi-vitamin complex you need to be aware of the following:
• make sure that it doesn't contain Vitamin K. Vitamin K plays a role in the manufacture of blood clotting. Too much of this vitamin might interact with plasma serotonin which is also known to make blood form cloths (see article, "2.a. Serotonergic functioning"). Although there is more research needed regarding this matter, the anecdotal reports of (former) (SSRI) antidepressant users imply fabricated vitamin K as a cause for the worsening of their already exisiting symptoms.
• make sure that ALL B-vitamins are low(never above the daily recommended standard). It is important to note that most B-vitamins work as stimulants to the nervous system. You need to avoid that.
• make sure that the B3 compound is as niacinamide and NEVER as niacine (this will give a flush which could make you re-live all of your symptoms again).
Depending on the severeness of the reaction you experienced to an (SSRI) antidepressant we also recommend that if you decide to take your essential elements otherwise, to take calcium/magnesium/zinc in a vegetarian formula. Never exceed the daily dose of Calcium 1000mg, Magnesium 400mg and Zinc 15mg. Although calcium/magnesium/zinc are not known to act as stimulants, caution is needed. Always start with small amounts (1/6 of the daily dose), gradually build up and keep monitoring yourself.
In these first 3-18 months the cycles or the emotional rollercoasters (the tricks your brain is playing on you) can be extremely frightening. And it will seem like it never ends, especially when you find a bit of hope in the evening to be back at square one in the morning. Be firm! We all understand its the most frustrating experience right now for you. It's serotonin related and that's why you are experiencing delayed (withdrawal) side effects and flashbacks, but gradually it will get better. Evaluate your recovery by weeks and months, not days.
You are going to experience minutes, hours and days that you will start to feel better. The cycles will get longer in duration and eventually you will have more good then bad days. Though, it is most important you also treat your nervous system with care during these better days. Don't think when the better days arrive that you can charge your nervous system like you always did before. It will give you a major set-back! Stick to the list we provide you below, on how to assist your recovery during this period.
Friends and Family
These times are very tough to experience. Your friends and family cannot even imagine the powerful influence these drugs have on your mind and your sub-consciousness. They simply cannot believe that these drugs can have such a powerful effect on someone's brain. You might loose your trust in them after this. Try to accept and understand their ignorant and frustrating reactions. Avoid them for a while, if that's possible.

How can I assist my recovery during this period?
• Avoid any psycho-stimulants such as medications, herbs, but especially: violence on TV. Why? Because right now your nervous system has become hyper-sensitive and extremely susceptible to every input from your surroundings, not only light and sound! You must also protect your sub-consciousness until you reach a level of emotional stability.
• Ingest low acid foods and try to minimize the ingestion of high acidic foods with a low pH-grade! REMEMBER: You need to 'alkalinize' your system (body) above a pH value of '7' !
• Avoid Grapefruit Juice. Grapefruit juice is an inhibitor of the cytochrome P-450 enzymes. These enzymes are known to metabolise (break down) (SSRI) antidepressants in the liver. Drinking grapefruit juice whilst you are taking an (SSRI) antidepressant can create a serious toxic reaction, because the (SSRI) antidepressant will build to toxic levels in the bloodstream! For more information click here.
• No caffeine. Drink lots of chamomile tea, sweetened with honey.
• No alcohol.
• Don't take Saint John's Worth. St. John's Worth works more or less as a natural SSRI (on post synaptic receptors), also interacting with your serotonergic neural system
• Don't take Ma-Huang (Ephedra) because it's a powerful adrenalin (epinephrine) stimulant, triggering adrenalin rushes.
• Don't take Kava Kava, it can intensify (SSRI) antidepressant (withdrawal) side-effects or give flashbacks to previous side-effects you experienced.
• Eat neutral alkaloids, vegetables, etc..
• Consider fasting for 1 to 10 days. Fasting detoxifies your body, but be careful and monitor your bloodsugar levels daily.
• Don't do any intensive exercise like jogging or aerobics, but instead try meditation, gentle stretching, gentle walking.
• Go out in Nature, or go to a Sauna, or whatever environment where you may find a little peace of mind and body.
• Listen to light Classic music or New Age music, watch cartoons (or anything else without violence), go walking, take hot or cold showers, anything that might work for you, anything to "manage" the "twilight zone" of suicidal and offensive thoughts and dissociated emotions.
• Focus on memories of events in your past (like childhood memories) which will recall positive emotions. Hang on to them!
• Learn during this period, which thought or view will give you any positive emotional response and write this down into the form of an affirmation! Read these affirmations for yourself every morning when you wake up! In this way you will slightly re-program your brain to tune into positive emotions.
Time and Nature will be your best friends in your healing process. In this battle you don't fight to win because you can't. You simply will survive it. Focus on the thought to survive this, and you will, just as other individuals did. Don't force yourself to become the person again that you were before this, but make a statement to yourself that you will come out of this "trip." Make this statement to your self everyday, every hour.
Whilst You are Recovering...
We strongly persist not to take any supplements, herbs and/or synthetic vitamins until your nervous system has strengthened over time. Continue to ingest proper food, vegetables and fruit during this period. Treat your nervous system with care. As mentioned above: don't think when the better days arrive that you can charge your nervous system like you always did before. It will give you a major set-back! Be careful and monitor your body closely whilst you are ingesting a supplement or herb.

#33 Toby times two

Toby times two

ID: 32776

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

:hearts: now I REALLY know I have found the right place........

#34 Mew

Mew

ID: 32854

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 12:15 PM

Thanks v much to Lov for sharing her unfortunate experience with Prozac. It is heartening to know that there is HOPE and that there is light at the end of the tunnel for us Prozac sufferers.

I too had an adverse reaction to Prozac. I suffer from a really annoying OCD (fear of harming others) which made me socially withdrawn, anxious and depressed. I was prescribed Prozac 20mg in August 2008. The doctor didnt warn me it could insomnia so I took one capsule each night. I took Prozac for a total of 14 nights. The side effects started kicking in around the 3rd or 4th night. Side effects include:

-Dry Mouth
-Diarhoea
-Loss of Libido/Impotence
-Cannot taste food
-Cannot feel pleasure
-Insomnia

By the 14th night I stopped because I could not stand the insomnia. The lack of sleep was destroying my ability to cope with everyday life.
However for a while, my compulsions did go away.

The compulsions then came back full force in Mid October 2008.
I took 4 capsules but I took them at different times in the day.

The took one at night for the first two nights and then one at lunchtime for the 3rd day and then one in the morning on the 4th day.

I did this because I remembered the insomnia I had suffered from before so I decided to take the capsules in the morning instead of night.
I know you are meant to take the capsules at the same time daily but I had no idea what was to follow.

One the 4th night. My worst nightmare began. I had a severe reaction in my head. There was an intense build of pressure at the back of my head (right hand side). Ever since that night I suffered from a permanent loss of libido, loss of pleasurable feelings, inability to yawn, and worst of all, chronic insomnia. No matter how hard I try I can't deep sleep. It's like a part of my brain has been completely numbed out. To top it all off my original problem, my OCD is still there.

It is now Mid-January 2009.

It's been almost 3 months since by adverse reaction to Prozac and there have been no signs of improvement.

It has been a living nightmare before my Prozac reaction because of my OCD, but never in a million years could I imagine it could get any worse and it's all thanks to Prozac.

For the last 6 weeks I took Mirtazapine (Remeron) 15mg, Olanzapine (Zyprexa) 5mg. I still suffer from chronic insomnia.

I have also been getting suicidal thoughts, not because the thought came into my head spontanenously because of Prozac but because I fear that I will never get better and that Prozac has damaged me permanently. It's been very very hard, almost torturous for me these last 3 months to keep myself together thinking positive thoughts and not letting myself slip into a dark cloud, but I honestly feel like giving up sometimes.

I will try and post here regularly to give an update.

Mew

#35 Toby times two

Toby times two

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

Mew -
Just wondering how you are doing? Hope things are looking up...

Toby

#36 Toby times two

Toby times two

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:15 PM

Hi all I am bumpin this up - hopefully others of you who have had an adverse reaction will see it and respond -

I am in month 7 of the hell I went thru with Prozac - most days are better - but occasionally I still wake up with panic and terrible head and muscle pain - the anxiety is the worst -

I have found that taking magnesium before sleep helps with insomnia and muscle pain - also keeping your blood sugar stabe through out the day - hope this helps -

doph and mew - how are you doing????

based on what luv posted above I may still have a year to go with this - I sure hope not....

Good Luck,
Toby

#37 charmilly

charmilly

Just Registered

ID: 33855

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

Hello All

Im so glad i have come across this site. The last couple of months have been hell for me. I am so glad im not the only one who seems to be going through this.
I started taking 20 mg of fluoxetine capsules daily about 4 years ago, at about the age 20. I had previously tried other SSRI's and been taking them since i was 15.

I was doing really well on fluoxetine, it controlled my mood swings and i wasn't depressed like i used to be, i was happy living with my boyfriend of almosy 6 years who he is very supportive, everything was fine.
But i was starting to notice my memory was slowly going! To begin with it wasn't too much of a problem but it really starting to affect my work and i needed to be alert and on the ball, working for a criminal defence firm.I thought i was loosing my mind!I was forgetting things that ive done hundreds of times before and couldn't remeber what i was saying,stopping mid sentance.People started noticing which made it even harder to deal with.

So i decided that i wanted to come off the fluoxetine, i went to the doctor's but the gp wasn't my useal one.They said it was best for me to take 20mg every other day rather than every day, so i did this for a week or so and i started having panic attacks, was suffering with real bad anxiety and irational thoughts that i couldn't get out my head.My memory was worse.
So i went back to the doctors and see my useal GP who put me on fluoxetine liquid form.So i was taking 4ml of this daily thinking that this would start to relieve my problems and it was still a less amount than what i was on before.

I ended up feeling like i was having a complete breakdown,i couldn't go into work, my memory was worse,loss of appitite,developed an itchy rash, my brain wouldn't switch off from thinknig silly things, i honeslty thought i was loosing the plot!
Out of it all it was the memory loss i found the hardest to cope with, i was thinking i was falling out of love with my boyfriend because i couldn't remeber how to love!And this then made me more stressed. It sounds mad i know!I felt a nervous wreck and told my boyfriend about how i was feeling, he was very understanding and assured me that i wasn't falling out of love, it was just the fluoxetine.

I was worried i was slipping back to what i was like before the fluoxetine so i started taking 20mg again daily, it's been about 3-4 days now and i am feeling abit more like myself, anxiety has gone.But i still feel my memory has just gone, my mind just wanders all the time, i cannot concentrate.Im even having trouble writing this, i just get a mental block.Im not back to work yet because i know i will not beable to handle it.

I feel as if i cannot feel love anymore too, i keep reasurring myself that i know i love my boyfriend its just the fluoxetine causing this feeling.I just want to have my memory and feelings back and for the rash to go!

Sorry to blab on and on, it's just i really don't know what to do.

#38 ophelia123

ophelia123

ID: 32708

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

Hi charmilly,
Welcome to DF. I'm sorry you're going through such a bad time. That sounds completely terrifying. Are you able to get any kind of paid sick leave from your job? Maybe you just need some time away from the stress to relax and heal.
This is just a thought but maybe you should see a psychiatrist about your meds (or maybe you have already?). You mentioned that you went to see your GP recently. I only suggest this because I've seen seveal GP's over the years and had some bad experiences because none of them were experts in using anti-depressants (not to say that yours isn't, your doctor might be totally competent in that field, this is just from my own experience). Maybe a psychiatrist with more experience dealing with Prozac could be of more help to you. Just a thought.
I totally understand your feelings of disconnection from your boyfriend. I feel the same way sometimes. Not just with him, but with everyone. And I think you're right it's most likely just the medication and the stress you're going through. He sounds really supportive though, which is great.
Keep posting and let us know how you're doing :) There are lots of really supportive people here who will understand how you're feeling.

#39 charmilly

charmilly

Just Registered

ID: 33855

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

Hello ophelia 123

Thank you sor much for your reply, i thought i was begining to feel abit better last night but this morning i woke up with the anxiety and silly thoughts all over again. I just want to snap out of it but i carn't, feel as if im in a constant fog!

I have not seen a psychiatrist yet, ive just not got the money to pay for it at the mo.Feels like im in a vicious circle and will never be the same again. My boyfriend means the world to me but i just cannot get my normal feelings back.

Thanks once again

#40 Mew

Mew

ID: 32854

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:37 PM

It's been about 4 months since my adverse reaction to prozac. There have been absolutely zero signs of improvement in my symptoms. I still have chronic insomnia, unable to sleep at all- not even light sleep. I feel that I am deteriorating mentally and physically from lack of sleep. Often feel confused and aggressive with loss of short term memory. No appetite at all. I feel completely "dead" inside. I have already accepted that I might be brain damaged from prozac.

Its funny how doctors love prescribing these sorts of medicine. SSRIs are extremely dangerous. Doctors think that more serotonin makes you more happy. IT IS SIMPLY NOT TRUE. Your brain is an extremely delicate and sensitive organ which requires a balance of numerous and different neurotransmitters. By taking the drugs you risk messing your brain up, which is what happened to me and a lot of other unfortunate people.

If you are depressed and reading this, remember, whether someone is happy or not depends on the individuals outlook in life and past experiences, try talk therapy and find out the root cause of your unhappiness. FOR GOODNESS SAKE DO NOT DEPEND ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS FOR A QUICK FIX. IF YOU DO YOU ARE RISKING YOUR LIFE.

I am so angry at how doctors love to play god. The doctor who prescribed me the antidepressents, patronised me when I asked him about the
potential side effects of SSRI. I was prescribed SSRI for my OCD, I WASNT EVEN DEPRESSED. At least not enough for me to want to take drugs for it. So I trusted my doctor blindly. He made me feel stupid and told me not to believe all the horrible stories that SSRI can do to you.

Edited by Mew, 18 February 2009 - 01:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users