Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Prozac And Fatigue

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 veggies

veggies

ID: 15411

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 12:17 AM

I started taking fluoxetine almost two weeks ago (20 mg/day), and I have been much less depressed since then. The only side effect I've had is that I've been really tired all the time. I sometimes sleep for 12 or more hours at a time, and I've been skipping work on some days because I've been too exhausted to get up (and now I feel so guilty and irresponsible!). Coffee usually helps for only an hour, but it makes me feel jittery and gross for the rest of the day. Does anyone have any advice on how to fight the fatigue? I'm going to talk to my doctor about it soon, but I happened to sleep through his calls today...

Thanks!

#2 Supy19

Supy19

ID: 16543

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 02:12 AM

in my experience most ssris can cause a bit a fatigue at first but this should go away with time. I had to switch from Prozac to Zoloft becasue of fatigue and a general numbness. Funny though becasue prozac is supposed to be a very activating AD. I suggest you hold out for a week or two or you can try and supplement with vitamin b12 or a good multivitamin...

my 2 cents .. hope it helps

- S

#3 Guest_SarahN_*

Guest_SarahN_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:46 AM

Hi Veggies,

I am sorry to hear you are sleeping so much, I have heard that SSRI's can do that but I have never experienced it myself. I suffer from insomnia when really depressed so that is kind of the opposite.

I do think that depression itself can cause fatigue and not wanting to get up, but hide in bed. I am wondering if maybe your fatigue is caused by your depression rather than the prozac. But of course I am no professional, so yes, please do talk to your doctor about it too.

SN :hearts:

#4 undave

undave

Just Registered

ID: 18973

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:33 PM

I started taking fluoxetine almost two weeks ago (20 mg/day), and I have been much less depressed since then. The only side effect I've had is that I've been really tired all the time. I sometimes sleep for 12 or more hours at a time

Have things got better for you? I am on day 7 today, and I could easily sleep for 24hrs straight on this stuff... I have dropped my dosage from 20mg to 5mg that I take at night, but even on that I am totally dead tired almost the entire day.

This stuff is absurd... this would be week 3 for you if you are still taking it, have things got better?

- dave

#5 Battousai

Battousai

ID: 17880

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:40 PM

I had the same problem with Zoloft and Lexapro, they made me dazed and drowsy. I had to take them at bedtime and allow myself 8 hrs of sleep; even then I looked very tired for the whole next day (or so people told me). I took energy pills and drank espresso-strength coffee in order to get through the day (although it probably wasn't healthy to balance out the side effects of one drug with another drug).
"You can **** a man but you can't **** an idea."
-Medgar Evers

#6 leo79

leo79

ID: 19464

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

Hi, yes I felt drowsy quite a lot on prozac and had a hard time getting up in the mornings.

#7 springtimeofhisvoodoo

springtimeofhisvoodoo

ID: 6459

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

Yes, I was always tired on 20 mg. when I lowered it to 10 mg I was less tired. Now I'm on 5 mg daily and still just as tired. I think it's also becasue Prozac disturbs my sleep, I always wake up a million times during the night and never feel like I got a really good sleep.
Prozac x8 years, Wellbutrin x1 year, Prozac/Wellbutrin combo x2 months, Prozac again x1 year, Currently Prozac-free for ONE YEAR!!! -YAY!

#8 henlei

henlei

ID: 19690

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:53 AM

I started on Lexapro which made me, as my boyfriend called it, "as sleepy as a kitten." I woke up - tired - dragged myself out of bed to eat so I could take my medication, yawned through my classes (Red Bull in hand), came home, and slept until the next day.
While weaning off of Lexapro and onto Prozac, I slept through an entire day (Sunday night until Tuesday morning), only waking up to use the restroom or get a drink. Since then, I've been more awake than I was, but still a bit up/down. I feel good and then just crash, which I'm actually considering an improvement since before the Prozac I was in "Perpetual Crash Mode".

Other than anorgasmia, I haven't had any of the negative side effects I hear people talking about on the forums. I am constantly seeing these posts about terrible reactions to Prozac, but I just don't get it. It's working okay for me so far, but then again, I'm still a Prozac-newbie.

:hearts:

#9 Jboi

Jboi

ID: 18963

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:22 AM

I've been on Prozac now for about 5 weeks and I have had a dreadful time with tiredness....

I am taking 20mg a day and for the first week it was like I was on speed, that calmed down and things seem settled. Then about 2 weeks into treatment I found that I was getting increasingly tired to the extent that I just don't feel like I have slept (even though I have). I am gettign home from work and feeling too 'run-down' to do anything but have a drink and go to bed....its a bit like how one feels in the last few days of a real flu where you feel 'washed out' and the simplest things really tire you.

I did try taking a pill at night once but that was awful, I just couldn't get to sleep at all so back to taking in the morning.

I have been told (not by medics) that all my stress and anxiety (marriage breakup, moving house, chronic pain from old injury) is likely to be playing a part in running me down and making me tired. I would happier if I felt that the prozac was really helping - after 5 weeks I would have thought the effect would have better - instead I may not be 'as down' as I was (read not crying so much) but I just feel 'low', 'tired' and unenthusiastic about anything (including things like work, sex, friends etc).

I am due to see the pdoc tomorrow for the first time so it will be interesting to see what he thinks and what meds (if any) he will try out....

#10 w_tanoto

w_tanoto

ID: 13948

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:06 PM

I've been on Prozac now for about 5 weeks and I have had a dreadful time with tiredness....

I am taking 20mg a day and for the first week it was like I was on speed, that calmed down and things seem settled. Then about 2 weeks into treatment I found that I was getting increasingly tired to the extent that I just don't feel like I have slept (even though I have). I am gettign home from work and feeling too 'run-down' to do anything but have a drink and go to bed....its a bit like how one feels in the last few days of a real flu where you feel 'washed out' and the simplest things really tire you.

I did try taking a pill at night once but that was awful, I just couldn't get to sleep at all so back to taking in the morning.

I have been told (not by medics) that all my stress and anxiety (marriage breakup, moving house, chronic pain from old injury) is likely to be playing a part in running me down and making me tired. I would happier if I felt that the prozac was really helping - after 5 weeks I would have thought the effect would have better - instead I may not be 'as down' as I was (read not crying so much) but I just feel 'low', 'tired' and unenthusiastic about anything (including things like work, sex, friends etc).

I am due to see the pdoc tomorrow for the first time so it will be interesting to see what he thinks and what meds (if any) he will try out....

my third day. I am tired all the time. I've slept all day, missed lectures. All I did was sigh.
walt disney's fan

#11 jasmene

jasmene

ID: 20498

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:19 PM

Hi, I am new here. I am on day 14 (10mg first 7 days, then 20mg). I have been constantly sleepy. I feel very sedated and don't want to do anything but sit on the couch. For those that had this problem, how many days did it take to go away. Please tell me it goes away.

#12 bearafar

bearafar

ID: 19885

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:30 PM

Hi, I am new here. I am on day 14 (10mg first 7 days, then 20mg). I have been constantly sleepy. I feel very sedated and don't want to do anything but sit on the couch. For those that had this problem, how many days did it take to go away. Please tell me it goes away.

Hi jasmene, welcome!

I'm sort of in the same boat you are. I started at 10mg for a week and now I'm on week 2 at 20mg. I'm still feeling very tired and unmotivated but it's slowly getting better. I've also had nightmares and headaches. I've been on other antidepressants before without any luck so I'm hoping Prozac is the one for me. You need to give it at least 6 weeks to see if it works for you. Feel free to private message me if you want to discuss how things are going.

#13 jasmene

jasmene

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 11:02 AM

Hi Bear, Thanks for replying. I would love to stay in touch and compare how things are going for us. It's nice to have someone that has been taking the med about as long as I have. I am still having the fatigue. It's almost a feeling like I am coming out of anesthesia. I've tried forcing myself to exercise or just get outside. It doesn't work. I can't keep my eyes open. I am pretty discouraged as I have read that other people have an energy boost on this stuff. Another recent thing I've noticed...and this may sound odd...is an increased tightness in my neck and I am more aware of my tongue. I keep looking at it to see if it is swollen! It's not so I don't know why I have that feeling. I've had really bad heartburn as well. With all these side effects, it is hard to find the positives. I am a believer in positive thinking, but I can't get it to work so far. I have had relief from that anxiety feeling so that is good...I'm trying to hang on to that positive. How are things going for you today?

#14 milestone

milestone

ID: 20417

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

Hi Bear, Thanks for replying. I would love to stay in touch and compare how things are going for us. It's nice to have someone that has been taking the med about as long as I have. I am still having the fatigue. It's almost a feeling like I am coming out of anesthesia. I've tried forcing myself to exercise or just get outside. It doesn't work. I can't keep my eyes open. I am pretty discouraged as I have read that other people have an energy boost on this stuff. Another recent thing I've noticed...and this may sound odd...is an increased tightness in my neck and I am more aware of my tongue. I keep looking at it to see if it is swollen! It's not so I don't know why I have that feeling. I've had really bad heartburn as well. With all these side effects, it is hard to find the positives. I am a believer in positive thinking, but I can't get it to work so far. I have had relief from that anxiety feeling so that is good...I'm trying to hang on to that positive. How are things going for you today?

Hello, I am on day 2 of Prozac while going off of Cymbalta. I took Prozac about 2 years ago and remember it having a real energizing feeling, I really liked it. I never went through a tired period. However, today I am really tired but I am taking small amounts of Cymbalta with the Prozac until Cymbalta is out of my system. Cymbalta is known for bad withdrawals which I am experiencing a little of. I was only on it for two weeks and still feel the withdrawal symptoms. I felt great this morning until I took the Cymbalta and then I got real tired. I dont know if that was any help but maybe you can ask your doctor for some Provigil to help with the daytime tiredness until the Prozac kicks in. That's what I take to get over all these side effects and still work. It helps! I also work with someone who has been taking Prozac for a long time she also said it had an energizing effect. Hopefully it's just beginning side effects. I am hoping that it doesnt make me tired this time around. I wont know for another week!

#15 Looking For Peace

Looking For Peace

Just Registered

ID: 20539

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 02:20 PM

I took prozac for over a year and it made me sleepy the whole time I took it. It helped so much with my anxiety though, I didn't mind being tired as much.

#16 jasmene

jasmene

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 10:42 AM

Milestone, Thank you so much for telling me about the Provigil. I had never heard of it. After doing some research I was pretty excited about trying it. I called my doctor and asked him to call some in. His nurse called me back and said that he said "no" and didn't provide a reason. ?? I'm confused as to why he didn't want me to try it. I may ask my pcp to prescribe it and see what he says.

#17 milestone

milestone

ID: 20417

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:56 AM

Milestone, Thank you so much for telling me about the Provigil. I had never heard of it. After doing some research I was pretty excited about trying it. I called my doctor and asked him to call some in. His nurse called me back and said that he said "no" and didn't provide a reason. ?? I'm confused as to why he didn't want me to try it. I may ask my pcp to prescribe it and see what he says.

I am sorry to hear that your doctor is against prescribing it. He must have his reasons, maybe he has never prescribed it. All doctors are different. Also, I dont think this is the kind of medication that can be phoned in. You might have to go and get the prescription. I know that I have to see my GP monthly. My GP is the one who told me about it and I think he is a good doctor. I trust him and he really monitors everything. If you get a prescription I hope it works for you. Good Luck!

#18 Fredericosg

Fredericosg

ID: 21156

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:29 AM

I have taken Prozac first 2 years and 6 months ago... made me feel way better more relaxed but yet tired. Now between periods in and out of Prozac and other ADs, I am again taking Prozac. I have started just before mid October so I am somewhere around the 12th week. And it is making me tired as hell. I just can´t do anything. I feel more relaxed and it works well for anxiety and panic, but I feel I simply tired, it is not like sleepiness as much as fatigue. I try to lay down in bed just to relax. I want to sleep all time. Motivation down. Pretty complicated stuff to deal with. 23 days ago I started taking Remeron 30mg at bedtime so that I could hopefully sleep well since the Prozac made me feel like I hadn´t slept. The Remeron works great except for the excessive hunger, my libido is back and normal orgasms but I still feel tired as hell and have to push myself through my days. This is the end of the semester on college so I have to study a lot. Sometimes I just cannot do it. But I also noticed that when I do study and focus, it seems the Prozac 'kicks in', or when something good happens and I get happy for a while, I feel I am very well. But soon I get to baseline again. It is definately the Prozac. My advice to you is take a good shower, go for a run or something that will make you physically exert yourself, then check out to see whether it´s working. In my experience Fluoxetine needs a little bit of help from you to help you. It is paradoxical but that is how it works for me. I have to have a schedule for the entire day and be busy. Otherwise I get sluggish.

Hope everyone gets feeling good and NOT tired.

Fred

#19 silentcrs

silentcrs

ID: 21539

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

I experienced some fatigue taking Prozac a few years ago. The number one thing I can recommend is to devote yourself to a healthy lifestyle (try to eat right, exercise, etc) because a combination of the fatigue and not doing healthy things could lead to weight gain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users