Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Adderall And Xanax

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MCoving

MCoving

ID: 15113

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 12:46 AM

Hi! Okay so I had a question has anyone here ever taken 30 mg of Adderal a day and a little like 1 mg of xanex? My friend who was really depressed and very suicidal plus got drunk during the week is now on this as prescribed by his doctor, and he says that it is amazing!! He is no longer suicidal, he doesn't drink at all, he is out doing more things, more focused, has more energy, able to be around people more. He rides his bike alot now. And he has no suicidal thoughts, and is not depressed at all. He even talks more with me and is so positive! I want what he has. Plus there has been no side effects, he's even lost weight.

See anti's the have that awful side effect of possibly causing more severe depression or suicidal thoughts in the first weeks being on them before they start working. I mean for me I never attempted to overdose on drugs and yet I did on Wellbutrin. So now I am so scared to try anything that is antidepressant related.

So I was just curious if anyone has ever had this prescribed to them to help with depression?? I might ask my doctor about it. Seems like an odd combination to me... Anyone know?

Thanks,
Mary

#2 caddon

caddon

ID: 315

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 01:05 AM

Hi
I take 80mg of adderal and 4 1mg xanax as well as 3 1mg klonopin, not an odd combination at all, while adderall works more on keeping you focused and active and alert, the xanax will only remove the aniexty and make you a little more calm. I take all 3 EVERY day. It works best for me that way. My PRN said hey, if thats works best for you, stick with it.
Hope i helped, if you have any other questions IM me here, i am always coming here so I will get it pretty quick.
"In all things do your duty. Nothing more can be expected from you, nor should you accept any less of yourself." Gen.Robert Edward Lee, Commander, Army of Nothern Virginia

Posted Image

#3 frosk

frosk

ID: 4954

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:41 AM

I dont get this because this is just prescription "speed". I took 30 mgs for a couple of days for depression. A few hours I was ok just kinda there and then about 8 hours of hell. What goes up has to come down sometime. If you are depressed than that down is going to be real down. I dont see how people with depression can take this type of med with the ups and downs. I couldnt handle it.

I have a question, why or how did you OD on Wellbutrin? Did you think that the more you took the better you would feel or did that actually happen?

#4 mindash

mindash

Just Registered

ID: 23229

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 07:14 AM

Hi! Okay so I had a question has anyone here ever taken 30 mg of Adderal a day and a little like 1 mg of xanex? My friend who was really depressed and very suicidal plus got drunk during the week is now on this as prescribed by his doctor, and he says that it is amazing!! He is no longer suicidal, he doesn't drink at all, he is out doing more things, more focused, has more energy, able to be around people more. He rides his bike alot now. And he has no suicidal thoughts, and is not depressed at all. He even talks more with me and is so positive! I want what he has. Plus there has been no side effects, he's even lost weight.

See anti's the have that awful side effect of possibly causing more severe depression or suicidal thoughts in the first weeks being on them before they start working. I mean for me I never attempted to overdose on drugs and yet I did on Wellbutrin. So now I am so scared to try anything that is antidepressant related.

So I was just curious if anyone has ever had this prescribed to them to help with depression?? I might ask my doctor about it. Seems like an odd combination to me... Anyone know?

Thanks,
Mary

Hi Mary, my names is George and i'm new to this forum (this being my first post actually)and i have some info to share from my own personal experience
currently im diagnosed as having severe adult adhd and a severe panic anxiety disorder and am prescribed 1mg of xanax, .5mg twice a day and 50mg of adderall a day in the form of 2 20mg and 1 10mg pills, (i also take 40mg of vicodin a day for chronic pain issues i've had for 8 years now). what i can say about the medications tho is that first i take all 3 of these daily but in a specific order, i start with the adderall and when the first dose wears off i take the xanax to ease the come down and the vicodin because the adderall causes me some joint pains when its wearing off but actually helps alleviate pain while it works for roughly 3-4 hours. then i basicly repeat in that order

i havent noticed any ill effects from the combination other than extreme dry mouth but individually each medication does have negative side effects

first off the Adderall
while its working the cons of it seem to be,
little to no appetite and resorting to force feeding at times,
increased oily skin as well as aggravated dermatological conditions such as facial roseacea, scalp psiriosis, and overall dry skin.
skin crawling and muscle cramping due to potassium loss and dehydration because adderall is a diuretic (makes you pee alot) and this has to be adressed by making sure proper nutrition is paid special attention to, namely including veggies and some fruits into daily diet (dont eat anything highly acidic or high in vitaminc c tho because it hinders the absorbtion of this particular medication. it doesnt like and acidic environment and before i take each dose i take an antacid to help better absorb it)
at least 1 bananna a day is a must in my opinion to help with the potassium issue.
also i personally feel its a medication that shouldnt be taken every single day as tolerance for me develops sometimes in under a day but luckily it only takes 3 days tops to clean it out of ones system.
the other more mild negative side effects include, increased body odor, a feeling like you have a few cathairs stuck on your face or in your mouth, and joint pains
now when it begins to wear off is when the more troublesome things can occur,
first the comedown usually involves a bit of anxiety (hence why i take the xanax), more pronounced aches but nothing horrible, sometimes it can bring on severe apathy or depression to the point of crying fits even for the most macho of men possibly even suicidle ideations, a tendancy to want to be anti-scocial, inability to focus as if any add or adhd has been exagerated even moreso than before the med was taken,and most often....extreme lethargy. if i decide to take it for a few days then just stop so i can lower my tolerance then i can easily sleep 15 hours strait and wake up feeling tired. this only lasts roughly 2 days or until your next dose.

the xanax does wonders for the anxiety but if someone is suffering from depression or exagerated depression from an aderall comedown then it can be dangerous since xanax has a tendancy sometimes to quite literally make one "Not Care" witch could lead to not only contemplating suicide but actually acting on it without fear or worry,
but as long as you go in with that knowledge before hand and are able to be aware of such a change in your mindset should it occur then you should be able to tell yourself its only the drug and it will pass in a relatively short period of time.

with all that aside tho, i have abused the adderall on occasions taking as much as 165mg in a 24 hour period(having a tolerance already tho) and didnt feel anything horrible from it nor the mix of meds. the adderall when taken as directed (preferably 3 days on 2 days off even if prescribed as an everyday thing) truely can be a miracle drug and has for me in many ways, the focus it brings is without comparison. depression is immediately lifted when it starts to kick in, you dont generally feel a cliche speeded up feeling from it like you would from say an over the counter diet pill containing ephedra witch actually did alot worse things to my body than this drug has and in much smaller doses. but you will deffinitely notice that if you were tired beforehand your wide awake once it kicks in. for those who suffer from fibromyalgia it also just about makes any symptoms of that disorder dissapear while its working, you may notice that conversations become easier and more intricate and you may even find yourself studying a subject of interest so in depthly that you wont notice that 4 hours just went by lol.

i know in the beginning of the reply i may have made the medication seem to be very unappealing but dont forget im also on a rather high dose and not eating as healthy as i should be. i know many people who take it regularly without half of the negative side effects i experience. also i was on wellbutrin many years ago and this medication is by far alot easier on my system than that horrible stuff.

should you have any specific questions that i havent covered here please feel free to e-mail me at mindash2001@yahoo.com since i cant say for certain how often i will check back on this post or forum.

you can find quite a bit of more detailed info on this class of medication here btw

"Please PM member if you are interested in this site"

my name once again is george, im soon to be 26 years old in august, im 6'2" tall and weigh roughly 177lbs.
i hope this helps you some and i hope you find a combination of medications that work for you with as little side effects as possible Mary. best of wishes and keep your chin up;)
spiral out

#5 starr

starr

Silver Member

ID: 1886

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:10 PM

Hi,

I have a prescription for xanax that I use just for really bad times like severe anxiety
or deep depression. I know it is addicting so I try not to use it too often but when I
need it, nothing works as good as it does. It has been a lifesaver for me.

best wishes,
starr

#6 NYCujo79

NYCujo79

ID: 23488

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

Hi,

I have a prescription for xanax that I use just for really bad times like severe anxiety
or deep depression. I know it is addicting so I try not to use it too often but when I
need it, nothing works as good as it does. It has been a lifesaver for me.

best wishes,
starr

Likewise starr,

I have a veritable hoard of unopened Xanax bottles and only use them in dire emergencies.
My doc prescribed the .5 mg tabs and taking 2 of those at the onset of a panic attack 99% of the time kills it fast.

#7 Great_Chicken

Great_Chicken

ID: 22872

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:20 AM

I'm on Dexamphetamine which I believe is similar to Adderall..... I was prescribed this due to a head injury thats resulted in a depression as one of the ongoing effects aswell as fatigue, poor concentration etc (symptoms are common between the two and from what i can gather hard to pinpoint which is now causing them).

I've tried an MAOI and now an SSRI but neither have done a heck of a lot. The amphetamine though has made a marked improvement, it's improved my memory, cognitive ability, concentration etc etc and therefore my mood. It even surprisingly made me calmer. Combined seems to have an even better effect.

I might be an unusual case (jeez that'd be a first :bump: ) and it may not be best practice but it's working for me.

BUT it is easily abused. And I do have negative side effects, eg hair loss which I'm currently having a crisis trying to reconcile which is more important - self esteem from physical appearance or mental health or chicken or egg.

Not sure if this helped, but it kinda helped me to write it down........ :hearts:

ps - if anyone has any suggestions for the hair loss i'd love to hair (sic)....

Edited by Great_Chicken, 11 March 2008 - 02:22 AM.

#8 alkalineashes

alkalineashes

ID: 21379

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:01 PM

i tried to get provigil, but doubted my insurance would cover it, so I tried to ask my pdoc for a low dosage of adderall for chronic sleepiness but he said he only prescribed it for ADD. I dont see what the harm of giving me a low dose to try is. Dang ADD people gettin all the fun meds, lol
"Don't let it control you" Prof X, my philosophy on many things, substances, negative thoughts etc..

Dx- Dysthymia possible Social Phobia
Rx= Celexa, Wellbutrin, Klonopin as needed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users