Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

The Yes And No's Of Zoloft

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ickle_gengen

ickle_gengen

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:28 AM

hio, im new with the whole AD thing, especially Zoloft, and was just wanting to get advice on things you should and shouldn't do whilst on it. For example, I was reading its bad to take it and have grapefruit juice and alcohol? are there any other substances/foods etc you should avoid whilst on Z? further, anyone have any advice to help boost the positive effects of Z? like...times to take it, have it with/without food etc?

basically, any advice on what you can/cant do, what you should/shouldnt do, and what is/isnt ok to do whilst on Zoloft for a newbie like myself. Thanks :)

#2 rattman

rattman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 01:02 AM

Welcome!

You shouldn't drink alcohol -- if you have before starting Zoloft talk to your doctor -- from my reading here different people's doctors tell them different things -- mine said it was OK and I have never had a bad interaction.

You NEVER should have anything with Grapefruit -- not sure anyone else here has experienced it, but for me I was 5 years into Zoloft and started eating grapefruit and having a grapefruit soda (Squirt) and even a small amount of grapefruit for me made the Zoloft more concentrated in my system and it would either make me VERY agitated or I'd get EXTREMELY nauseated -- so from my experience totally avoid anything with grapefruit in it. I didn't even realize the grapefruit thing until about 6 months after I was getting the bad side effects. I actually figured it out myself because I ran out of grapefruit for a week and felt so much better -- then I read up on it and found it was indeed the grapefruit.

For me, food or no food with Zoloft -- it doesn't upset my stomach.

I used to take it at night -- but now take it in the morning. I think a general rule is start off taking it in the morning. If it makes you tired then try it at night -- but never take 2 doses in 1 day. My doctor told me to just find what worked best for me as far as the morning or evening.

I can't think of anything else you should avoid -- or things that help it work better. It was a pretty easy med to get used to after the first week for me.

Good luck and please throw anymore questions you should have out there!

J :hearts:

#3 xbx

xbx

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 02:18 AM

i read that taking it with food helps it metabolize better and quicker.

reference:(PM member for link) (scroll down to "pharmacokinetics" and read the third paragraph). sorry, i'd just copy and paste, but i can't because it's a pdf file.

i started taking z in the morning... tried switching to taking it at night due to lethargy but that's a no go, as it keeps me up. i've heard similar things from others. there are a few who prefer it at night though, so you'll just have to test it out and see how you feel. talk to your pdoc about it too. :)

#4 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 06:13 AM

The best time to take Zoloft is in the morning as it works better during the daytime. You can take it with or without food. Limit your grapefuit intake to around 4oz/week or don't eat/drink it at all. NEVER drink alcohol while taking this med. It will negate the good effects that Zoloft has and will leave you feeling more depressed.

You can always ask your pharmacist about side effects and other reactions regarding Zoloft. Your pdoc may also have information.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#5 jeffster84

jeffster84

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

i find that it's best not to drink at all on Zoloft.

HOWEVER, last week I got completely hammered while playing music at a depression awareness gig (oh the irony!!) and I was fine. As I was talking to someone else who had suffered severe depression (4 separate hospitalisations but is fine now) the topic of alcohol and antidepressants came up.
You really have to know yourself and predict how you'll feel if you drink alcohol.
I was in flying form on the day in question and had no doubts that I'd feel fine (in fact better than fine) even if I drank. However my friend who had been through severe depression said 'there's a huge difference between having a few drinks with friends while having a good time and being really down and drinking.

What I found in all my experiences of alcohol and Zoloft, is that you have to wait at least 3-4 months before even 1 drink is a good idea. And when you do drink you have got to be really careful. Also if your depression worsens in the days afterwards, don't drink again for a long time.

Also I find exercise/fitness 100% effective for offsetting the side effects (including sexual ones). I was reading a book the other day about the toxins in your body that get kinda stuck when you're on antidepressants and apparently the best thing to do is sweat.
I do 20 minutes a day in a sauna, and along with all the sweating I do exercising, I find my system feels a lot cleaner.

Just some thoughts. :hearts:
If a pencil rolls, is it still stationary?

#6 monkey_dude

monkey_dude

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 01:21 AM

rattman, didn't you say you were on Zoloft for 12 years straight? That's a long time for an AD to keep working and not poop out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users