Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Day 6 On Wellbutrin Xl 150mg/daily Seems Too Much

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Can anyone tell me if I can skip a dose or take every other day so that I can feel somewhat normal for one day?? I feel like the 150mg is too much for me eventhough it is a low dose.

Perhaps I can ask the Pdoc to prescribe 75mg of the SR and take only once a day? Does anyone know if that will work?

Day 6 on Wellbutrin and this is how I feel:

1.) like I drank 10 pots of coffee!! This feeling is awful!!!! I want to pace and pace, it is driving me crazy.

2.) cannot concentrate on my work, so afraid that I will loose my business.

3.) i don't feel any emotion. don't know if this is good or bad. I was crying a lot before going on Wellbutrin (kind of miss crying).

4.) No appetite - already lost too much weight

5.) Insomnia

6.) Shoulder and muscle aches.

Don't worry, I will be talking to my Pdoc tomorrow, but need to hear some advice from members.

lov :hearts:

Edited by lov4k9s, 08 May 2007 - 06:58 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

If I can't be a shining example, then I shall serve as a terrible warning.

#2 Lucinda

Lucinda

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:34 PM

Sounds like you're getting the worst of the side effects of Wellbutrin. Watch the amount of coffee because it doesn't mix with the drug well. It sounds like the medication may not be for you. Or, your doc may prescribe something to off set the anxiety to go along with it. If you're on day 6 and you've already noticed a significant weight loss, I don't know lov4k9s, it doesn't sound good. I take 450mg of the XL a day. The medication has worked wonders for me. No side effects and I'm just about dealing with things on a normal level, although I do get some bad days at times and all. Everyone is different. Have you tried any other antidepressants? Any of the SSRI's? Is this your first med?
Best of luck to ya and I hope you get to your doctor soon.
Lucinda

:hearts:
Tell whoso hath sorrow
Grief never shall last:
E'en as joy hath no morrow
So woe shall go past."
--Scheherazade

#3 rattman

rattman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:56 PM

Like Lucinda mentioned, if you have anything with caffeine, you should limit or eliminate caffeine from your diet -- I quit caffeine before I started Wellbutrin but 1 day when McD's messed up and I got caffeine I felt like the tasmania devil! :bump: (not quite as ugly but you get the picture......... )

The side effects you're having overall sound pretty normal - except for the lack of emotion -- I haven't heard that before but I'm sure it's on the list.

You might ask your doctor if you can start with Wellbutrin SR 100 once a day and try to work up from there (at least if you started there and took it in the morning you may at least be able to sleep at night) -- the 75mg dose of Wellbutrin isn't extended or sustained release so if you started on the regular 75 mg Wellbutrin you'd likely have HUGE mood swings -- I tried Wellbutrin about 13 years ago and couldn't take it because at that time they didn't have SR or XL and the medication doesn't stay in your system long so if you don't take it on the mark every 6-8 hours you have mood fluctuations.

Anyway.......... 150mg XL is a a low starting dose so if you continue to have problems on that dose, you may be too sensitive for Wellbutrin. Or -- if your doctor can start you at 100g SR once a day and see how that goes for a week it might be worth it -- because although Wellbutrin takes a lot of people up to 8 weeks to feel better (took a little over 7 weeks for me) - at least for me it makes me feel more normal than the SSRI's alone.

Let us know what your Pdoc says, ok?

Good luck :hearts:

John

Edited by rattman, 08 May 2007 - 09:59 PM.

#4 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,873 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:48 AM

I can't give you any advice as far as a dosing schedule goes. I do know that you had some bad SEs with Prozac and it appears you are having some with WB as well. Maybe you could ask your pdoc to lower the dose and put you on a slow step-up program. That may work better for you as you appear to have sensitivity to meds. I do know that WB is known to have weight loss properties and I think that goes along with the "caffiene" buzz you are experiencing. The buzz may also be affecting your concentration as well as sleeping. Muscle aches and pains can also be a SE.

You have multiple issues with WB and it is a good idea that you discuss them with your pdoc. I'm sorry that you are having to go through the drug merry-go-round in order to find something that will work for you. I know the ritual well and can comiserate with you.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#5 KarenMac

KarenMac

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:17 AM

Can anyone tell me if I can skip a dose or take every other day so that I can feel somewhat normal for one day?? I feel like the 150mg is too much for me eventhough it is a low dose.

Perhaps I can ask the Pdoc to prescribe 75mg of the SR and take only once a day? Does anyone know if that will work?

1.) like I drank 10 pots of coffee!! This feeling is awful!!!! I want to pace and pace, it is driving me crazy.

3.) i don't feel any emotion. don't know if this is good or bad. I was crying a lot before going on Wellbutrin (kind of miss crying).

5.) Insomnia

Don't worry, I will be talking to my Pdoc tomorrow, but need to hear some advice from members.

Hi K9, (I have 3 cavalier king charles spaniels, LOVE them!)

You seem to be having lots of trouble with WB. How did your doctor's visit go?

First of all, you probably should have started out on a much lower dose. I started on 37.5mg! My pdoc knows how med-sensitive I am. I then went to 75mg, then 100mg. SR, now 150mg. SR and on my 3rd week. I never felt extremely anxious as you describe, but I also take a small amount of xanax (have for years) which I think offsets the anxiety somewhat.

My appetite never decreased yet on WB, in fact at first I was *more* hungry.

I have been told that it can get worse before it gets better, so I am sticking with it for at least a couple months, but you seem to be having an excess of side effects. A/D's can cause "emotional numbness", I have heard doctors say so. Maybe it is not the right med. for you. It can be so frustrating to find the right med or combo.

I am thinking of asking my pdoc to add in a small dose of effexor xr to the WB, as I have heard it can help alot especially with aches and pains. I have noticed some increase in body aches and wondered if it was due to the WB.

So, let us know what your pdoc says. I really think (in my unprofessional opinion) that he/she should have started you on a lower dosage and worked up.

Best wishes,
KarenMac

#6 chinkes

chinkes

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:36 PM

Hi all,
This is my first post in the WEllbutrin arena. I was reading KarenMac's post and was glad to hear of someone else who is starting at 37.5mg and working up. My doc prescribed Wellbutrin XL 150 which I will work up to. Meanwhile I have 75mg tablets IR which I'm going to split in half and take once a day. When I don't feel any SEs, I'll move up, just like KarenMac's did. I had to do that with Lexapro because the SEs freaked me out and scared me too much. I hear some people saying this low of a dosage on IR may cause mood swings, but that's how I gotta do it if I'm not going to experience palpitations, high b.p., anxiety & panic attacks. I already take a beta blocker for tachycardia, so I don't want to trigger that if at all possible.

Has anybody else had success with this method of titration?
Thanks, Cheryl

#7 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

Chinkes:

:hearts: to the WB room.

I know your doc has told you to split the tablets. Just be aware that splitting breaks the coating of the pill, causing one's body to absorb it differently. You may want to speak to your pharmacist to see if this will be a problem with WB>

:bump:

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#8 tbeav

tbeav

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:02 PM

I'm on day 2 of WB SR 100 (1/day to start out). I'm feeling awful: very sore shoulders and neck, extremely tired, hard to concentrate, had to skip work today.

I'm combining WB with Lexapro 20mg, Dr's Rx.

It's odd because I was on WB a few years ago and I don't recall these side effects. Maybe it's just this bad this time because I've been in an absolute pit of depression and feeling sore and tired even before I started the WB. I'm going to give it some time, see how it works.

#9 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:34 AM

tbeav:

If your depression is worse than the last time you took WB, that could very well explain why you're feeling so sore and tired. Depression has a way of running one's body into the ground.

Today is, what? Day 5 of WB? How are you feeling? Still taking Lex too?

Keep us posted. Absolutely.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#10 chinkes

chinkes

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:47 PM

I'm on day 2 of WB SR 100 (1/day to start out). I'm feeling awful: very sore shoulders and neck, extremely tired, hard to concentrate, had to skip work today.

I'm combining WB with Lexapro 20mg, Dr's Rx.

It's odd because I was on WB a few years ago and I don't recall these side effects. Maybe it's just this bad this time because I've been in an absolute pit of depression and feeling sore and tired even before I started the WB. I'm going to give it some time, see how it works.

Hi tbeav!
I'm on day 3 of only 3/4 of a 75mg IR WB. I posted elsewhere that I have neck shoulder pain flare up too. I had chronic pain in this area for years until I got on Lex. 10mg. It miraculously disappeared! I was thrilled not to have that daily pain. But now its back. Let's hope it's a temp start-up SE. You're on a lot higher dose than I am. My target is 150 XL once daily. It's probably going to take me weeks to get there, because I'm ramping up at a turtle's pace to avoid panic and anxiety. I take Remeron as well which is an excellent sleep aid.
Take care! Good luck.
Cheryl

#11 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:07 PM

I posted elsewhere that I have neck shoulder pain flare up too. I had chronic pain in this area for years until I got on Lex. 10mg. It miraculously disappeared!

Cheryl:

A similar thing happened to me. I have Endometriosis and would be in the most terrible pain during my monthly cycle. Once I started taking all my meds (6 in all), the Endo pain has vanished and my cycles have regulated themselves.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#12 chinkes

chinkes

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

I posted elsewhere that I have neck shoulder pain flare up too. I had chronic pain in this area for years until I got on Lex. 10mg. It miraculously disappeared!

Cheryl:

A similar thing happened to me. I have Endometriosis and would be in the most terrible pain during my monthly cycle. Once I started taking all my meds (6 in all), the Endo pain has vanished and my cycles have regulated themselves.

-Bean

Bean: Cool! Sometimes there is some benefit to being a human chemistry lab. Your pain didn't return even temporarily when you added WB?
Cheryl

#13 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:20 AM

Cheryl:

Nope. No pain since I started all meds, WB included, 7 or so years ago. My monthly cycle used to aggravate the endometriosis and cause me pain that was nearly debilitating. Since I've started taking my cocktail of 6 meds, no pain at all. I now the endo hasn't disappeared; it's the meds that got rid of the pain.

Here's hoping your neck and shoulder pain disappears again. And soon!

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#14 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:28 AM

Hi Cheryl,

I just wanted to jump in here and say that Wellbutrin gave me sore muscles and stiff joints when I first started, and when I increased the dose. The soreness was mainly in my neck and shoulders, and the stiffness was mainly in my knees and hips. It's gone now.

Wellbutrin may be exacerbating the pain you already have, but your body should adjust soon. Some people even take Wellbutrin to ease pain or restless leg syndrome, so you might even feel better in a few weeks than you did originally.

I hope Wellbutrin works out for you. It's been a miracle for me.
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#15 chinkes

chinkes

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

Thanks Bean & Suburgatory for your comments. I'm glad to know that these aches & pains are start-up SEs and will disappear. If that was the only side effect I had to worry about I would be a happy camper. :hearts: I'm up to 75mg today and my BP is up some too. Need to quit the coffee at this point. Yesterday I did my regular workout (~60 minutes walking/running on treadmill) and felt yucky afterwards. BP & pulse up and didn't go immediately back to normal. I can tell when my BP is up without even taking a reading. I'm very sensitive and aware of it. I'm already on a beta blocker for tachycardia and it also usually controls my BP, so I gotta watch it. Hopefully, once I adjust to the 75mgs it will return to normal. I've read that other people's BP raises on WB and they need to medicate for it. I'm wondering if that's just during the start-up months or permanently? Any idea? Cheryl

#16 sstip

sstip

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:34 PM

5.) Insomnia

Uggg....I went through all of that, too.150 made me crawl out of my skin. I felt like I was high on something. I felt awful. I went down to 100 and feel better, but not great. Are you taking something along with it?? You Dr. should be able to help you figure out what is best for you.
It is my understanding that once the side effects are gone, WB can be a great AD but you may have to tolerate some negative side effects 1st. Maybe you can go up in very small increments. My Dr. didn't seem to think twice about changing my dose , and I reacted totally negative to it. I have friends that started feeling great right away with no side effects. It really is an individual thing.
Anyhow...I know what you went through. I am just now starting to feel like myself again.
Take care and let us know how you're doing!!
Stephanie

#17 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

Hi Cheryl,

My blood pressure rose considerably when I was adjusting to Wellbutrin (like 165 or something!), but now it's back to normal (around 120 over 75). And yes, caffeine made it worse, so I quit for a while. I think it's the increase in norepinephrine. Anyway, after a couple of months my BP returned to normal. Keep an eye on it, and try to avoid things that raise BP, like caffeine, alcohol, sodium, and stress.

BTW, your avatar cracks me up! What's that poor kitty's name...Chinkes?
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#18 chinkes

chinkes

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

Hi Cheryl,

My blood pressure rose considerably when I was adjusting to Wellbutrin (like 165 or something!), but now it's back to normal (around 120 over 75). And yes, caffeine made it worse, so I quit for a while. I think it's the increase in norepinephrine. Anyway, after a couple of months my BP returned to normal. Keep an eye on it, and try to avoid things that raise BP, like caffeine, alcohol, sodium, and stress.

BTW, your avatar cracks me up! What's that poor kitty's name...Chinkes?

Oh, that's good to know. I know how yucky 165 BP feels! But now that I know it doesn't stay up permanently, I'm not going to freak. I have been at 120/80 or less for a long time. I'll immediately start avoiding the things you mention, although I probably won't give up my glass of alcohol in the evening. I'll have to wean myself off coffee. I should have done that already, dang it! Did you continue to do your regular exercise or whatever when your BP was really high? Thanks, Cheryl

#19 chinkes

chinkes

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:56 PM

Oh, about my Avatar. I'd like to say he's mine, but I stole him. :hearts: I have two Bombays; one of which is also a rocket-head like this guy. But I so liked this pic that I now claim him as my own. Cheryl

#20 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:39 PM

Did you continue to do your regular exercise or whatever when your BP was really high? Thanks, Cheryl

I did, because exercise helps bring BP down, plus I get a little nuts if I go without exercise! But I noticed that I got tired and winded very easily, which is a sign of high BP, so I had to take a lot of breaks during my workout. Exercise temporarily raises BP, but lowers it overall. Just go easy on yourself while it's high, especially when you feel your heart pounding! :brokenheart:

#21 BetteBoop

BetteBoop

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 05:23 PM

Hi Cheryl,

I just wanted to jump in here and say that Wellbutrin gave me sore muscles and stiff joints when I first started, and when I increased the dose. The soreness was mainly in my neck and shoulders, and the stiffness was mainly in my knees and hips. It's gone now.

Wellbutrin may be exacerbating the pain you already have, but your body should adjust soon. Some people even take Wellbutrin to ease pain or restless leg syndrome, so you might even feel better in a few weeks than you did originally.

I hope Wellbutrin works out for you. It's been a miracle for me.

suburgatory......... Can you discribe the hip pain you get? I am the one that is on the same combo you are if you remember. WB 150XL and Celexa 20mg. I do have sciatica problems, but usually can work the pain away with walking. But lately its almost crippling. I feel as if I need a hip replacement. I have only been on the combo for a short while. Could this be part of the SE till my body gets use to it? The last thing I want is to take another medication.

Thanks,

Bette :)

Edited by BetteBoop, 19 August 2007 - 05:24 PM.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

#22 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:00 PM

Hi Bette,

Sorry about the pain you're feeling. I take 300mg WB XL and 20mg Celexa. I only had those symptoms for a week or two when I started at 150mg, and again when I doubled the dose. I wouldn't even call it pain, it was just soreness and stiffness in the joints. I don't think what you're feeling is a side effect of WB, but you should talk to a doctor about that. I've heard that the natural supplement combination of MSM//Chondroitin/Glucosamine helps.

#23 LA_Woman

LA_Woman

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

This is interesting. I had pretty intense pain in my upper back after starting WB and then again after increasing the dose. Luckily, it only last a day or two both times. I was thinking it may have been all in my head but I guess others have similar reactions.

#24 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

Bette: Short-lived muscle soreness could be the result of starting or increasing WB. You should consult a doc for any long lasting or severe pain.
Please talk to your doc. Don't forget to keep us posted.

LA Woman: Are you pain-free now?
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#25 BetteBoop

BetteBoop

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

Hello all and Thank You for the replies.

I talked to my Doc and he said that its probably all the weight I am lifting daily. Bales of Hay, 50lb bags of Dog Food etc. I am not even 5 feet so its half my weight I am lifting.. But someone has to do it :)

When I see him next, he is going to lecture me to stop overloading myself.

Mystery solved.

Thanks,
Bette

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

#26 MoeDuddly

MoeDuddly

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:29 PM

As an ex drug abuser I have taken everything! WB is great for helping you quit smoking, and depression but its a very powerful stimulate, quit the coffee! you are making things worse! You feel muscle pain because of the changes your body will be going through, like with any drug, especially an stimulate like WB. If the pain does not go away see your MD. No caffeine at all. I was on it for 6 weeks. I thought I was going to loose my mind, because it just over stimulated me. I quit and went on Effexor. That was the ticket for me. Talk to your Doc. Maybe they will find something better if it is giving you problems. Remember, everything works different for everybody, thats why their are so many different kinds of meds out there.

Edited by Beanchop99, 29 August 2007 - 09:15 PM.
content violates TOS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users