Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Wellbutrin Sr V. Wellbutrin Xl

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lov4k9s

lov4k9s

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

Can anyone tell me why Wellbutrin SR would be prescribed over Wellbutrin XL (and vice versa)?

I asked my Pdoc about the difference and she muttered that XL presents less side effects. Not sure if her statement is true or if she knew that it would shut me up because I had just sufferred through eight weeks of vile side effects from generic prozac (I had been asking her A LOT of questions about side effects lol).

I guess the main reason I would like to know the differences between SR and XL is that I have to pay full price for XL. I've read some posts discussing generic versus brand names and it appears that many members are enjoying success from certain generic brands of SR. If both SR and XL generate the same benefits, then perhaps it is worth switching from XL to SR for the cost savings sometime in the future (assuming this drug works for me).

Thanks!

lov :hearts:
Posted ImagePosted Image

If I can't be a shining example, then I shall serve as a terrible warning.

#2 rattman

rattman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

Maybe your doctor gets kickbacks for prescribing Wellbutrin XL?

As far as I know, the only real advantage of Wellbutrin XL over Wellbutrin SR is that you only have to take XL once a day -- SR you have to take twice a day.

Starting up on Wellbutrin, I imagine it could be true that Wellbutrin XL has less side effects than Wellbutrin SR -- but once you are on Wellbutrin at the maintanence dose of 300mg, it should make no difference whether you take XL or SR.

I take Wellbutrin SR and have had no issues with it -- in fact I prefer the SR because it gives me more control over my dosing (am/pm).

My prescription plan will pay for the generic XL by TEVA but that generic as many here will tell you, doesn't work worth SH## .

It does sound like your doctor is an ***** or is kind of like my doctor where they don't think you really NEED to know. :hearts:

Edited by rattman, 04 May 2007 - 01:43 PM.

#3 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,847 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

From my understanding, the SR is a shorter reacting med, and you may have to take it more often. I was on 300mg and was taking it 3 times a day. When I was put on XL, I took it twice a day as the pdoc said it would last about 12 hours between doses. I had SEs for only a few days on the SR and none on the XL. My insurance< at the time, paid for both meds at both the name brand and the generic. If you have no insurance, the generic is less expensive (for me it worked as well as the name brad). If you cannot afford your meds, there is a program offered that you can get your meds for free or at a much reduced cost. The information is in the "cost for drugs" section further down in this section of the topic menu here.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#4 rattman

rattman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hi Sheepwoman --

I was curious -- when you were taking 100mg 3 times a day -- wasn't that just the original Wellbutrin formula? From what I understand the base Wellbutrin is taken 3 or 4 times a day -- , the SR twice a day, and the XL once a day. And I think you're never supposed to take more 150mg at a time of the 3 time a day Wellbutrin, no more than 200mg at a time of the twice a day, and no more than 400 of the once a day XL.

Wellbutrin certainly has a lot of variety in choice of dosing, doesn't it? Zoloft is so much easier -- once a day -- period.

BTW -- I'm on my 3rd day of Zoloft (in addition to Wellbutrin) and feeling fine so far! After 12 years and stopping Zoloft 2 years ago, maybe it just needed the extra kick of something else like Wellbutrin -- I sure hope so :)

J

#5 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,847 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

I was on SR 3 times a day. The XL in 12 hour divided doses. I didn't know much about all the new drugs on the market, so I was just following orders.

I wish all meds only needed to be taken once a day. It would alleviate having to remember when and what has to be taken when. lol
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#6 Lucinda

Lucinda

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:28 AM

I started on the SR because the XL wasn't on the military formulary a few years ago. The XL is now available and my doctor put me on it. I was on the max dose on the SR; but, I had to take it in divided doses (450mg total per 24 hours). Even with this dose amount on the SR, symtoms were still coming through, also, the potential for seizures increase if you take more than 150mg of SR at one time. With the XL, I can take the full dose first thing in the morning and not have to worry about taking more later in the day.
Yes, the XL is more expensive; but, the effect is definitely more consistent throughout the day for me. I have no side effects from it at all and am relieved to have finally found something that works for me the majority of the time. Hope this helps!
Lucinda
Tell whoso hath sorrow
Grief never shall last:
E'en as joy hath no morrow
So woe shall go past."
--Scheherazade

#7 rattman

rattman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:49 PM

Gotcha.......... if I remember you were on 450mg a day so you were probably 150 3x a day? I remember now that at 450 mg there is no dosing where you can take twice a day on SR.

I still toy with the idea of going on name brand XL -- just want to make sure I am regulated before I do that between the ZOloft and Wellbutrin.

I was on SR 3 times a day. The XL in 12 hour divided doses. I didn't know much about all the new drugs on the market, so I was just following orders.

I wish all meds only needed to be taken once a day. It would alleviate having to remember when and what has to be taken when. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users