Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Does Depression Worsen With Age?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sadsoul

sadsoul

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:15 PM

has it gotten worse the older you get? Mine seems to be worsening. I am not going through menopause or even close but my depression is worse now than ever. Even meds aren't working properly. I am getting out of the house less and less, I am afraid to work because of rejection, and don't want to do anything pleasurable. I feel like I am dying inside.

Today is the start of a very bad 2 months. My 19 year old son left today for Texas. He is going to military medical training. He will be gone 7 or so months. In 17 days, my husband leaves for Kuwait. Again military. I know he is going to be safe. No fighting in Kuwait. But he is my best friend. He is my only friend. We have been together for 6 years (married 2 years) and we hate being apart. We always need to touch. We both feel energy just from hugging.

I have no one here. No friends, family is not too close emotionally. My oldest son and I get along but he only lives 20 minutes away and if I don't invite them up every Sunday, I don't get to see him or talk to him. He is 24 and has his own life. I live out in the country, hate going outside anymore, leave my home 2-3 times a month and have severe depression that won't go away with meds. I will be totally alone except for my animals. I do nothing but cry every day. My husband and I took my son to the airport this morning and I cried all the way home. The only thing that is keeping my thoughts somewhat in check is Adderall. But when it wears off, the thoughts, anxiety, nervousness, and crying comes back. I take one in the morning and one in the afternoon. By night, my mind starts thinking of death, sadness, loneliness, etc. I take sleeping pills just to go to sleep otherwise I have constant insomnia and it is not due to the Adderall. I had it long before I started taking the Adderall.

I feel frozen in time, nothing moves, just darkness.

#2 Guest_SarahN_*

Guest_SarahN_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:04 AM

(((((((((Sadsoul))))))))))

I am sorry to hear you will be on your own for a while, please know we are open 24/7 so come here whenever you want, we will be here to listen :bump:
I hope that makes it a bit easier, take care and keep us posted,

SN :hearts:

#3 sadsoul

sadsoul

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 01:59 PM

(((((((((Sadsoul))))))))))

I am sorry to hear you will be on your own for a while, please know we are open 24/7 so come here whenever you want, we will be here to listen :bump:
I hope that makes it a bit easier, take care and keep us posted,

SN :hearts:

Thank you SarahN.

I will be here and I will keep you posted. Today is 16 days before he leaves. I made an appointment today with the Rhode Island CBT Center. I see them tomorrow. I thin called my pdoc and asked if he recommended the place or the therapy itself. He said yes to both. Said they had a good reputation. I don't know how it is going to work since my meds don't. I just don't see how they can make me think positive. That seems almost impossible.

#4 rattman

rattman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:51 PM

I've been dealing with depression for 26 years -- I would say it doesn't get worse emotionally -- but physically it does. I'm guessing the reason it doesn't seem as bad emotionally is that when you deal wtih it for years you get a little desensitized or used to the emotional part of it. But then again, I am more withdrawn from society than I was when I was younger.

#5 sadsoul

sadsoul

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:57 PM

I've been dealing with depression for 26 years -- I would say it doesn't get worse emotionally -- but physically it does. I'm guessing the reason it doesn't seem as bad emotionally is that when you deal wtih it for years you get a little desensitized or used to the emotional part of it. But then again, I am more withdrawn from society than I was when I was younger.

I just checked your profile. You were born 5 days after me! Mine seems to be getting worse both emotionally and physically. I used to do things. Not tons of things but some. Now I don't do much at all. It seems to be getting worse the older I get.

#6 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:17 AM

I didn't have depression until my mid-20s. My depression is organic and cyclic so unless I take medication daily I am OK; followed by a deep spiral until I am unable to move ....... I do get clinically depressed at times about things I am unable to alter. If this continues for too long I up my doseage for short periods.

Little steps. Making lists helped me so that I could see what I had actually achieved each day.

As we age we have more physical problems to endure. So making sure we are well hydrated, that we eat sensibly, exercise regularly will keep those aging processes under control. I had bad periods throughout my life with intense PMT - now in the 5th year of menopause [HOORAY] I feel liberated as I haven't suffered only very mild hot/cold spells in the night, nothing more.

Read up on the subjects that bother you most. Get informed advice. That way you are more able to make decisions as and when necessary. Don't get into that 'panic' situation when things will get you down. Forewarned is forearmed ;-)

As for your home situation, no wonder you feel down and weepy. My hubby went to Uni whilst we were courting in the 1970s, I waited 3 years before he told me he would marry me and another 2 to get to the day! Tears++ .......... {{{{{Sadsoul}}}}
Lizzy
Any change is scary even when we want it Posted Image

#7 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,848 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 08:43 AM

I know my depression has worsened in the past 10 years or so. I'm terribly unmotivated to do much of anything. I live out in the country, too. If it weren't for my animals needing care, I would probably sit in the house all day. I do get out several times a week; however, there are days that I would rather stay home. I made commitments that cannot be broken so I guess it's a good thing I made them. Also, as we age energy levels have a tendency to drop below a level we were used to in younger days. My brain likes to think at a younger level, but my aging body tells me I'm no longer in my 20s. lol

You may also be experiencing an "empty nest" syndrome with your boys away from home and now your hub leaving. I find being alone and isolated to be my worse enemies. It leaves too much time to think.

Hopefully, Zoloft will kick in soon and you will get relief from most of your depression. Unfortunately, these drugs take a long time to become effective and the wait is unbearable when all you want is relief.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#8 mworks

mworks

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 05:58 PM

Its been atleast 18 years now that I have had depression and in some ways I want to say its gotten better.
I don't think the depression itself is any better , but I do think that my understanding of it and how to cope with it is what has changed.

When it all began I was lost , confused, had no idea what these "meds" would do to me.
I had images in my head of all the movies I saw of "crazy" people and felt like an outcast.
Now I still struggle with depression but I think I cope better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users