Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

If You Are On Disability For Depression Can You......?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Depress

Depress

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

If you feel that you are suffering from massive clinical depression, and you take a leave from work/ file for disability to get treated can you continue to have a life outside of the house. ie exersice, go watch a baseball game, go out to dinner. I know that people out for physical injuries are watched carefully by insurance companies/S.security to ensure that they are in fact injured and not out chopping wood and working around the house.

I feel that i can't continue to work but I am nervous to sign away any option to live life, if I do file. With that being said I don't have the energy to leave the house or even get off the couch now. I have to sit down to shave/shower/brush right now, and do not leave the house (aside than for work) due to massive....massive....unbelieveably crippling fatigue. I can't even cry because im so tired. any way thanks in advance for the input.

Edited by Depress, 27 April 2007 - 04:12 PM.

#2 samblank

samblank

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:00 PM

I am on disability and my Tdoc encourages me to get out of the house. It is part of my therapy to overcome social anxiety. He filled out the the initial forms that SS sent him so I can assume he would not want me doing anything to jeopardize his reputation. I just need to report to SS when I find employment. I am a little paranoid but, I have not been aware of anyone keeping an eye on me. I live in a small town and a detective would be easy to spot. If you are still unsure you may want to ask your Tdoc about any actives you plan to do.
Sam

"I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward." Thomas Edison

Chief: Are you thinking what I'm thinking ?
Maxwell Smart: No Chief, I'm thinking what I'm thinking.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,909 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

I'm on permanent disability for my mental illnes. You can file with SS for temporary disability if you want. The waiting period can take 3-6 months to get a reply. If you have a disability program with your employer file for it with a note from your tdoc or medical doctor. Treatment may consist of you seeing a pdoc for medication along with your therapy.

Your tdoc is right about you getting out of the house and doing things. That is part of the recovery process. I found that no one was probably watching me to see if anything out of the ordinary was occurring with my disability. I will have to go for a reassessment with SS in a few years to see if I am still disabled. The fun part is that I will be close to the retirement age per SS, so I maybe able to just retire.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#4 mworks

mworks

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:15 PM

I am on disability for depression.
I was admitted to the hospital so many times and it has gone on so long that the doctors final decisions are that its never going away for me.
I'm only 35 , so they were reluctant to issue it to me, but when you have spent the last 18 years of your life in hospitals, meds, therapy,etc I guess they see it as a lost cause.

Still I don't think they can do anything about you going out , excercising or laughing in public . It would be like someone with a heart condition running out in front of car and pulling someone in the way to safety. Just because they had that brief moment where they exerted themselves and didn't have a heart attack , doesn't mean they are cured and can now run a marathon.

Still I do wish at times I could work. Those are my good days. I've had quite a few of those lately. But I always fear a relapse is coming.

#5 LostWomon

LostWomon

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

Hi Depress,

Even if someone is on disability, they can still earn a certain amount of money each month and keep the disability, from what I have heard. I think here in Ohio you can earn over $800.00 a month and still receive disability checks. I have known someone who is on disability for Bi-polar, and he has worked in a lot of restaurants waiting tables, sometimes for 30 hours a week, and he still received his disability check. That was several years ago.

#6 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:46 AM

do check that out as states may differ.
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#7 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,909 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:10 AM

You can work on SSD providing you do not earn more than $800 per month. This is parttime work only as, even at minimum wage, you will exceed this amount quickly. Check with SS before you locate employment as the rules do change and sometimes without notice.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users