Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Multiple Sclerosis (MS)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Admin Team

• Super Administrators
  • 14,460 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 11:07 AM

About MS  

MS and the Nervous System

Multiple Sclerosis is a chronic disease of the central nervous system, or CNS, which is comprised of the brain and spinal cord. The CNS sends and receives signals through a network of nerves insulated by a protective protein coating called myelin. In MS, myelin is broken down, causing a disruption in these signals. Demyelination is a hallmark of this disease, a process researchers believe may begin before symptoms appear. This furthers the case for early intervention upon diagnosis of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. Mild symptoms often include vision or dexterity problems, numbness or tingling sensations. In some patients, more severe symptoms may eventually include a partial or complete loss of vision or mobility.

In relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, the presumed path of MS is as follows:  

1. Normally functioning nerves are insulated by a protective protein coating called myelin.

2. In multiple sclerosis, myelin is broken down, causing disruptions in the signals sent to and from the brain.

3. Natural immune cells, or T cells, are believed to bind with lost myelin proteins and become proinflammatory.

4. These harmful T cells are thought to cross the protective blood-brain barrier into the central nervous system (CNS).    

5. Inside the CNS, the T cells bind with myelin proteins and release inflammatory substances (cytokines) believed to contribute to myelin breakdown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ask your doctor about the different kinds of drug therapies now available that are thought to modify this process. For more information about multiple sclerosis, visit MS University®, or visit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society at www.nmss.org.
  • Skeeterette likes this

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

"One person can make a difference through their seemingly small actions" ~Unknown
"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived". ~ Bessie Stanley

Depression Forums are PG rated and we comply with Health on the Net's HONcode
goldenvelope1jr.gifplatinumstar.jpg

Hotlines

#2 mishymoocow

mishymoocow

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:01 AM

Hi all,

I am a 39yo woman from Melbourne Australia. I am in the process of being diagnosed with MS. I have 1 lesion on my MRI and I'm recovering from an attack of weakness and sensation loss. As I've had other neurological episodes in the past, my doctor thinks it probably is MS and the MRI just caught it very early.

In the past year I was also diagnosed with PMDD. Like many women, I would be a bit grump and/or teary on the day before my period, but then all of a sudden I was suicidal and almost non-responsive. Took myself to my very good gp, who took a history - he's known me for 20 years - and prescribed Zoloft. I think it's great, the madness went away.

(Over the years I have known a couple of people to suicide/attempt suicide, so I have a strong prejudice AGAINST it. To find myself thinking, "hey maybe I'll throw myself under a tram. Yeah it's a long term solution to a short term problem, but if it will stop my pain in the next five minutes..." was surprising, to say the least.)

Now I am wondering if I don't have PMDD at all, but this is another example of my MS. (Don't worry, I won't stop taking the meds, which are often prescribed for MS depression and fatigue anyway.)

My lesion is in the right frontal lobe, which is an area that is involved with emotional regulation. I have read that depression in MS is partly situational (no-one wants this disease, no matter how mild their symptoms) and partly does seem to be caused by physical changes in the brain.

I am wondering if any of you forum members have experienced either situation?

#3 angied22269

angied22269

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:26 PM

Sorry to hear about your one lesion. I can tell you this, as a nurse, and someone with MS, with well over 9 lesions on my brain and 7 on my spinal chord, (and I have only been diagnosed for a year) no doctor should diagnose you with only one lesion. That spot showing on your MRI could be almost anything. I believe they should keep an eye on you, treat your depression, run MRI's on you annually to make sure, but not give you the nasty drugs with their nasty side effects that might not be needed. Treatment for MS is basically treating the symptoms, anyway, at this point, except for the nasty drugs, which really make you feel worse than the disease does. The injections that you take for MS cause migrains, upset stomaches,fatigue, injection site problems, including death of the tissue, and for me, has even caused hair thinning. I hope your doctor is wrong in his diagnoses, and it proves to be nothing more than a smudge on the film. Best of luck to you.
Angie

Hi all,

I am a 39yo woman from Melbourne Australia. I am in the process of being diagnosed with MS. I have 1 lesion on my MRI and I'm recovering from an attack of weakness and sensation loss. As I've had other neurological episodes in the past, my doctor thinks it probably is MS and the MRI just caught it very early.

In the past year I was also diagnosed with PMDD. Like many women, I would be a bit grump and/or teary on the day before my period, but then all of a sudden I was suicidal and almost non-responsive. Took myself to my very good gp, who took a history - he's known me for 20 years - and prescribed Zoloft. I think it's great, the madness went away.

(Over the years I have known a couple of people to suicide/attempt suicide, so I have a strong prejudice AGAINST it. To find myself thinking, "hey maybe I'll throw myself under a tram. Yeah it's a long term solution to a short term problem, but if it will stop my pain in the next five minutes..." was surprising, to say the least.)

Now I am wondering if I don't have PMDD at all, but this is another example of my MS. (Don't worry, I won't stop taking the meds, which are often prescribed for MS depression and fatigue anyway.)

My lesion is in the right frontal lobe, which is an area that is involved with emotional regulation. I have read that depression in MS is partly situational (no-one wants this disease, no matter how mild their symptoms) and partly does seem to be caused by physical changes in the brain.

I am wondering if any of you forum members have experienced either situation?

#4 NightWisp6

NightWisp6

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

I'm 26 now. I was diagnosed with MS after a particularly nasty episode in which I blacked out and fell down some stairs at school. since then I've developed spasms, memory outages (it comes back most of the time, but it's embarrassing to be my age and unable to remember my address or phone number), numbness, severe mood swings, and a constant headache that often reaches migraine level. I was on Neurontin until I tried to overdose on sleeping medication in the hopes that I'd just go to sleep and never wake up. Disappointing for me, I did and it scared me that I was disappointed about such a thing. The docs took me off the Neurontin and put me on Effexor. It regulates my mood, but that's usually when the situational aspects creep up on me. I live with my mother and her horrid husband with little chance of getting out any time soon. The fatigue limits what I can do for employment near my home. My eyesight is doubled and doesn't allow me to drive, so often I am trapped in my house. When I do go out, I am afraid to meet people. I don't date very often. Who would sign up to watch someone go through this?

I guess what I am saying is that if you do end up having MS, the situational depression can be just as tiresome and life-hindering as something physical. Your support network is key. Try to build a good one now, before you need them more seriously.

#5 Skeeterette

Skeeterette

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:40 AM

Hello!

I was diagnosed with MS in 1995.  My first symptom was severe pain on the top of my head, nausea, vomiting, pain at my right temple, pain behind my right eye and pain at the base of my skull.  I called my Dr. who gave me some anti-nausea meds and made an appointment for a CT scan.  When I returned home, from the CT scan, I was told to return immediately to the imaging center for an MRI.  Not knowing what was going on, I was scared to death!  Of course, they won't tell you anything.  A day later, I was in a consult with my Primary Care Physician who told me that I had MS.   At that time, it was Relapsing/Remitting, but now, since I have had it for so long, My Neuro considers me Secondary Progressive.  I am now starting to have weakness (and fatigue) in my legs when it's too hot.  It seems as they my legs are weighted down, so I just applied (to my Dr.), for a Disabled Parking Permit, so that I don't have to walk so far to a cooler interior. 

I am not taking any MS therapies, right now, but may consider one of the newer oral meds.  There has been some marvelous breakthroughs in therapy for all the Neurological diseases not just MS. 

#6 Midnight_Moon

Midnight_Moon

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

my mother has MS, though i think shes been coping with it very well, when she got it, she lost her job at a fitness place, but a few years later, she got a job at Friends of MS in reno, i was sad that she had to move away, but i was happy that she got a job, and she has kept it for about 3-4 years now.

#7 Pinga

Pinga

• Admin Team-Moderator
  • 865 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

My mother has MS as well. This time of year when the weather gets really hot and humid it triggers the weakness in her left side. 

Posted Image

#8 jmg

jmg

Community Assistant

• DF Support
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

My grandad had severe MS.  Got it when he was in his late 50s. -jmg

#9 Lonely depressed

Lonely depressed

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

I was diagnosed with ms at the age of 21. I had vertigo symptoms and vomiting, I didn't leave my bed for 2 days. Now at 25 I thought I was coping with the disease relatively good but for the past two or three years my family and I have been fighting badly. No matter what the fight is about its ALWAYS my fault, it could be abut something my 20 year old sister did and still I would be blamed for it. I really don't know how much more of this I can take..I am so sick of getting treated like crap while they treat my sister like gold. They tell me I am jealous of my sister and that I need help and that I'm crazy and need to talk to someone but yet they don't help me find someone to talk to. All I do is cry myself to sleep and I've even thought about taking my own life to make things easier for my family since I am such a burden to them. No doubt that I am depressed, it's even taken a tole on my friendships. I'm not sure if I'm pushing everyone around me away, or if I am toxic like my parents make me feel that I am. I don't like going out to meet new people because I think I am developing social anxiety from my depression. I don't see a point to living like this anymore, I feel like everyone that is around me hates me cause as my mother says she feels like she has to 'walk on egg shells around me'..I don't know what else to do to make this better, I feel like I am in this funk that I can't get out of

#10 Bring Me To Life

Bring Me To Life

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 12:41 AM

Hi everyone...I have MS and I relate to some of what you all have said. I'm looking for someone to talk to about MS and the horrible depression and isolation it causes...I know for me, I've hit a horrible depression that no one seems to understand...it got so so bad when I was on Rebif...I hope I can find someone to talk to...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users