Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Adrenaline Surges

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 03:37 AM

I now recognise the warmth flowing through my veins when I'm in high levels of anxiety. My muscles down my arms, across my chest, back of my neck, thighs all get warm in waves, fortunatley not all at the same time.

What do you feel when anxious? I feel queasy, tired; lack motivation ......... if I don't feel sick I can take on the World, one churn just below my belly button and I'm no help to anyone :-(((((. Fear creeps in: what if these feelings don't go away. I can't eat even though I know my body will feel less faint when I do. I wake in the night with surges of fear. My head feels numb. I can't drive the car in case I faint or fall asleep. I can't concentrate enough to go shopping for anything. I can't follow a story line on TV or read a book. I often just sit although this morning I'm doing chores in order to kick in endorphins etc. to get me going.

What do you feel? Does your brain race ? Mine doesn't as much as years ago.

How many of you feel physically affected when anxious? I know it's the flight/fight response but it doesn't help me get over it. I know that it does go away but can never remember how or why I begin to feel better.

Mornings are worse ............ 'what if' ......... by evening I've usually improved. So why can't my stomach allow me to have good feelings in the mornings too!

On a rate of 1-5 I feel 3-ish .................. but fear it will get worse ...........
Lizzy
Any change is scary even when we want it Posted Image

#2 Neatoboy

Neatoboy

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

I feel anxiety mostly in my stomach, sort of like butterflies and queezy combined... it's a horrible feeling and I experience it nearly all day everyday. When my anxiety is really bad I feel it in my chest like someone is pushing against it which then affects my breathing and sometimes affects my head... my thoughts are usually racing at this point. I get tired easily due to my excess anxiety and worrying.

With counselling and medications my anxiety levels are lower but unfortunately still there. I wish I knew how to break this habit and have some relief!
If you feel like letting go, (hold on)
When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on
- REM

Homer: "I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." Posted Image

#3 kylady

kylady

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:26 PM

I feel anxiety mostly in my stomach, sort of like butterflies and queezy combined... it's a horrible feeling and I experience it nearly all day everyday. When my anxiety is really bad I feel it in my chest like someone is pushing against it which then affects my breathing and sometimes affects my head... my thoughts are usually racing at this point. I get tired easily due to my excess anxiety and worrying.

With counselling and medications my anxiety levels are lower but unfortunately still there. I wish I knew how to break this habit and have some relief!

oh neat boy and lizzy i feel so sorry for you too. I myself sufferd just like you too and i am here to tell you that there is hope and you can get better. i got to the point where i wouldn't even leave my bedroom and house for almost 2 yrs and now i am very productive drive and go anywhere i want and do anything i want to do... i still have some of these surges of anxiety and still get the faint felling but i know i am not going to faint actually you can't faint because your heart speeds up. i was agoraphobic. but i am better. if there is anything that your guys need to talk to me about please send me a message. that is why i came back to the forum because there was tons of people here that helped me though my time and i guesss i am here just paying it foward. but rember i am here if u want to talk.. love and god bless you all and rember u can beat this.. tonya

#4 chamzilla

chamzilla

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:28 PM

When I get my attacks I start to either feel dizzy or hot. Then comes the tingling and it feels like hot lava running through my veins, my hands and fingers go numb. My anxiety is different every day. Today is a bad day. I had the stomach flu on the weekend and that makes me feel a lot worse. I actually almost passed out yesterday while in the car with my bf. I was so scared then opened the window and that helped calm me down a bit.

My legs get week sometimes. I feel faint, dizzy. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to get sick. If I'm at the table having dinner I have to leave the table and stop eating because I really feel like I'm going to be sick. My heart races, I get pain in my head, my pupils dialate and my mouth gets really dry.

I really wish I could just make it all go away. I hate it. Even though I try and talk myself out of having an attack or letting it run my life it is a hard thing to do. I've tried to be off medication and that hasn't worked for me just yet. One thing that should be free in all places is Councelling. Even being in Canada it is too expensive to pay for.

Wishing everyone the best in coping with our strange experiences with panic and anxiety.
If my friends jumped off a bridge, I wouldn't do it. I'd be at the bottom catching them.

#5 kylady

kylady

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 09:55 PM

When I get my attacks I start to either feel dizzy or hot. Then comes the tingling and it feels like hot lava running through my veins, my hands and fingers go numb. My anxiety is different every day. Today is a bad day. I had the stomach flu on the weekend and that makes me feel a lot worse. I actually almost passed out yesterday while in the car with my bf. I was so scared then opened the window and that helped calm me down a bit.

My legs get week sometimes. I feel faint, dizzy. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to get sick. If I'm at the table having dinner I have to leave the table and stop eating because I really feel like I'm going to be sick. My heart races, I get pain in my head, my pupils dialate and my mouth gets really dry.

I really wish I could just make it all go away. I hate it. Even though I try and talk myself out of having an attack or letting it run my life it is a hard thing to do. I've tried to be off medication and that hasn't worked for me just yet. One thing that should be free in all places is Councelling. Even being in Canada it is too expensive to pay for.

Wishing everyone the best in coping with our strange experiences with panic and anxiety.

cham i know you want understand this right now but stop fighting the panic attacks float through them . it is hard and takes alot of practice but once u get to the point of knowing its not going to make u pass out and it isn't going to **** you then they will start going away. claire weeks wrote a good book on panic attacks. i rember i used to start feeling them things start coming on. and i would tense up and say oh god here it comes again then sure enough it would run through my body. and i would start fighting. them bam./ when u start feeling one start . start singing or counting do something to switch your mind from that panic attack. i promise with practice it will work. meds are good also. xanax worked great when u feel one start the u could put one under your toungue and it would stop it. then later after u find out they work good u can just carry then with you alot and that becomes your safty net. hope this helps some sweetie.. love and god bless tonya

#6 wildfire3323

wildfire3323

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:48 AM

I have similar feelings like Lizzy, though the attacks I've had lately are waking me from sleep. I get the waves of hot in my arms and legs, but its a bit electric like. My heart is racing, muscle tense up. Yucky dry mouth with odd taste. Limp jellowy legs. Very hard to just float with it with a bunch of things going on.. :(. For a few days here I'm my co-hab it out of town and I just dread waking up to one of these things. I don't know what to do if it happens and there's no one to support me.

#7 chamzilla

chamzilla

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

Thanks kylady,

I have tried doing that before, but I must try doing it again. I just let things in life bug me to much. I'm tired of losing people I love to sickness or old age. Just seems to be a never ending cycle of life. But I hate it.

I went to my dr today and I have been booked for some brain wave exam thing. EEG I think he said it was. Just to check electrical impuls's in your head. Never had one before. So kinda werided out by it. I was told I'm supposed to double up my paxil. As the attacks are coming back again this week. I was sick on the weekend and it gave me a lot of time to sit around thinking. So this week just seems up and down. I only take 12.5mg and he wants me to take 25mg now. I have some adivan/lorazapam for if I really need it. But the dr said it can get addictive and can cause memory loss. It doesn't help you deal with the problem he says it just helps you forget it.

I'm going to see a pshych to see if I can find free councelling in Ontario, Canada. Mental illness here takes a far back seat to everything else. Thanks for the advice I will try it out :)
If my friends jumped off a bridge, I wouldn't do it. I'd be at the bottom catching them.

#8 Izzy85

Izzy85

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:21 AM

When I have anxiety I feel like my whole body is tense, like one big tensed nerve! Also if I'm anxious about one thing it can be on my mind for days, I just can't get it out of my mind, it's totally taking control. It's weird I can have a conversation with someone or go out and do stuff and occupy myself, but still, in the back of my head I'll still think about it. I'll be watching TV and I'll be thinking "see your head still feels funny, you're dizzy, your body is tensed, why is it this way, is it ever going to stop?" Etc...and then I just try my best to ignore it and to focus on something else and eventually, after a few days, sometimes weeks, it goes away. Haha, and something new happens, a new symptom that I never had before and it's all over again...ARG!

#9 Cat80

Cat80

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:34 AM

I feel sick all the time, my stomach aches and it always feels like I'm on the verge of getting a bug or something even though I know it's my anxiety. I can't seem to control it though, everyday I tell myself it is all in my head but because my main fear is vomiting my anxiety just gets worse and I feel sick all the time. I'm tired, don't want to leave the house and don't feel like eating (could be because of the new meds). I'm just hoping to Citalopram stop all these symptoms and I feel better soon because at the moment I don't seem to have much of a life, I just exist from day to day (does that make sense).

My brain never seems to switch off and is always thinking of something or another and everyday I'm thinking this is the day I'm really going to lose it or something is going to happen to someone I know

Edited by Cat80, 21 April 2007 - 05:36 AM.

#10 lynndyloo

lynndyloo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 05:49 AM

my heart races,i go dizzy,my vision blurs then i get this high pitched noise in my ears!!

and that nervous feeling that something bads about to happen never goes,however these days as ive been in hospital 3 times with panice attacks i recognise the symptoms and can talk myself around,its still horrible though!!

#11 Darkmind

Darkmind

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 11:28 PM

Once in awhile my heart will race, though not all that often. Usauly I start to sweat, but I get really cold and shiver a lot. I grow restless and unable to sit still, and sometimes I feel like I am going to loss it and run out of the room. My chest burns and my body will tingle a lot. Sometimes my body will start aching, I have back pains as it is, but they get worse when I have Anxiety. I get really tense, witch gets pretty painful at times. My head feels cloudy and cluttered with a hundred thoughts at once, and I can't think clearly.

I guess thats it...

#12 GinaNYC

GinaNYC

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

When I have anxiety I feel like my whole body is tense, like one big tensed nerve! Also if I'm anxious about one thing it can be on my mind for days, I just can't get it out of my mind, it's totally taking control. It's weird I can have a conversation with someone or go out and do stuff and occupy myself, but still, in the back of my head I'll still think about it. I'll be watching TV and I'll be thinking "see your head still feels funny, you're dizzy, your body is tensed, why is it this way, is it ever going to stop?" Etc...and then I just try my best to ignore it and to focus on something else and eventually, after a few days, sometimes weeks, it goes away. Haha, and something new happens, a new symptom that I never had before and it's all over again...ARG!

This is my first time replying on this Forum, hope I'm doing it right. I read your post above and totally related. My first panic attack was a little over a year ago. I thought I was having a heart attacked, yada yada.. Well, last weekend I got another panic attack. And it was totally different from the last one. I got the hot surges or adrenaline surges. Which brought on the panic. Last night was pretty bad I kept dozing off and waking up with adrenaline surges. This is all a new sensation for me with the whole panic/anxiety thing. So I really relate to your commment about new symptoms. I kind of like that you are finding the humor in it though, when you said "Haha" above. Maybe that's a good approach, I bet there's a comedian out there somewhere with a routine on panic disorder. I try to find TV shows that will make me laugh. This helps a bit. America's Funniest Home Videos is pretty good. Well, I wish I had some answers, all I know is, after my first panic attack over a year ago...eventually I went over a year without another one. I think it was mostly just trying to ignore it and staying busy, escpecially physically busy. And also I asked some friends who are Christians to pray for me. I'm not a Christian but I really think their prayers helped. I asked my friend to pray for me this morning. And now that I think about it, that's probably why I'm starting to feel better. Don't ask me how or why it works. But it does, it's a proven medical fact too that prayer helps. I recently read that drinking 1 or 2 glasses of water when a panic attack comes on helps too. Which I think is largely true. Although it might be healthier for your stomache to digest food if you drink this much water 30 minutes before eating or 2 hours after eating. But water seems to help a lot. Right now I've been taking Alprazolam (aka Xanax?) since last Monday. My doctor prescribed Lexapro since I also have depression. I still haven't filled the prescription, I will repost back on here if/when I start taking it to let everyone know if it's helped. Althought as most of us on this forum probably already know, different medications work differently for everyone. Well, I think I'm going to try some Natural Calm Magnesium supplement as well, when I hear back from the company, I emailed them this morning to ask them if it is safe to take their product while on Xanax. I'm trying to be very careful about mixing herbs/vitamins while on Xanax. I hope this is helpful to someone out there. All these posts on this forum are so helpful to me.

#13 Scattered13

Scattered13

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

Welcome Gina.

Adrenaline surges are normal for panic attacks. I think it helps to be able to identify what your body is doing because then you don't freak out even more over not knowing what a new feeling means. Sometimes I just get adrenaline surges rather than a fullfledged panic attack: I don't know if that's because they're under control, or I'm just more sensitive to the beginnings of one, lol!

Do get that script for lexapro filled. I'm on its sister drug, Celexa, and it has helped my panic disorder greatly. Also, try and learn some breathing techniques to get you through the attacks.
Dx: psychotic depression, panic disorder, rheumatoid arthitis, 'something else going on'
Rx: mirtazapine 45mg,respiridone 1mg, adalimumab 40mg, azathioprine 150mg, hydroxychloroquine 400mg, prednisolone 5mg, diclofenac sodium 150mg, codeine 30mg, zaleplon 10mg, calcium and vit.d

#14 Toby times two

Toby times two

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:10 PM

I get really shaky inside and out - my legs feel wobbly and my heart pounds and races....I often sweat a lot as well.

this is weird though - does anyone else get really red palms? It is freaky!

Thanks,
Toby

#15 whoacrazydani1

whoacrazydani1

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

I now recognise the warmth flowing through my veins when I'm in high levels of anxiety. My muscles down my arms, across my chest, back of my neck, thighs all get warm in waves, fortunatley not all at the same time.

What do you feel when anxious? I feel queasy, tired; lack motivation ......... if I don't feel sick I can take on the World, one churn just below my belly button and I'm no help to anyone :-(((((. Fear creeps in: what if these feelings don't go away. I can't eat even though I know my body will feel less faint when I do. I wake in the night with surges of fear. My head feels numb. I can't drive the car in case I faint or fall asleep. I can't concentrate enough to go shopping for anything. I can't follow a story line on TV or read a book. I often just sit although this morning I'm doing chores in order to kick in endorphins etc. to get me going.

What do you feel? Does your brain race ? Mine doesn't as much as years ago.

How many of you feel physically affected when anxious? I know it's the flight/fight response but it doesn't help me get over it. I know that it does go away but can never remember how or why I begin to feel better.

Mornings are worse ............ 'what if' ......... by evening I've usually improved. So why can't my stomach allow me to have good feelings in the mornings too!

On a rate of 1-5 I feel 3-ish .................. but fear it will get worse ...........

I have a history of anxiety/depression. I was on celexa and neurontin for almost two years and have been off of them for about 9 months now and guess what... I'm going back on the celexa!! It all started with the hot surges... I was at work and all of the sudden my whole body got extremly hot, I was actually next to a pizza oven at the time so I thought it was from that until my head felt like it was going to explode and my heart was racing.... I was like oh lord... don't even tell me this is a panic attack... it went right away though and I was fine, almost confused. But then the next week another one came.... then another... and now I just don't even want to be at work, i'm always anticipating when my next attack is going to come... so now I'm back on the celexa and can't wait for it to start helping me. I thank god for it the last time I was on it, it worked amazing!! I stopped taking due to the fact that I had a new job and no health benefits and I thought I could be fine without it... but apparently, my time has come again.... it's only been day 3 on a half of a 20mg... I still have time, by friday i'll be taking the whole pill and i'll just hope it kicks in soon!!!!

#16 MelancholicGuy

MelancholicGuy

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:21 PM

My heart rate goes up, trouble breathing, I become very nervous, always triggers a migraine, I feel faint and lightheaded, racing thoughts, sense of threaght, and sometimes a bit of paranoia.

#17 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:00 AM

Hi Lizzy,

You may know already, I suffered from these feelings chronically for over two years, until I came off Citalopram. The med was making me more anxious.

My muscles in my arms were weak, my fingers were red hot and sweating, my neck and face felt on fire, I couldn't move my eyes properly, could not raise a smile, my feet felt they were burning.

Anxiety is a horrible thing.

Edited by kirkwuk, 17 February 2009 - 03:01 AM.

Beating depression since 2007

#18 seveppa

seveppa

• PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:50 AM

When anxious I feel "fluttery" in my stomach - nervous butterflies and some nausea - also shaky, especially my hands. My joints sometimes ache, so that I find myself stretching and shifting around trying to get comfortable, can't seem to sit still. Thoughts start to race, I clench my jaw, my breathing tightens up so I feel like I am not getting enough air, my throat will sometimes feel obstructed and I get the feeling that at any second I am either going to scream or just bug out. Also sometimes the light seems overbright and sounds seem too loud. After a few minutes the nausea will usually increase to where I will feel like I am about to throw up and I sometimes get stomach cramps after that, but not always. I think that's about it. Definately there is an adreneline rush and I really do not like it.
"If you are going through Hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

"God is subtle, but he is not malicious." - Albert Einstein

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users