Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Long Did It Take For Cipralex/lexapro (escitalopram) To Start Working?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
69 replies to this topic

#1 cruz1287

cruz1287

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:51 PM

How long did it take for you guys to notice the positive effects of Cipralex/Lexapro (escitalopram)?

#2 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:09 PM

Tommorrow will be 3 weeks for me. I cant really put an exact number of days, but I will say I feel better than I did 3 weeks ago. All side effects are gone except for the insomnia(GRRR!). I hope it keeps getting better.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Brian

#3 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:14 PM

For me there was a noticeable improvement within about 10 days. It probably was about a month or so before I had the full effect of the medication, but I was very encouraged at the early improvement. I had felt so bad for so long before starting Lexapro that I was quite relieved that the Lexapro worked.

I didn't have insomnia issues with the Lexapro. For the first few weeks I wanted to sleep any time I didn't have to be anywhere, like my job. It passed after that and my sleep was normal.

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#4 kkuylen

kkuylen

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

When you guys are talking about how long it took to start working, are you speaking of the time on one particular dose, or the total time on it. i have weaned up slowly, but am at 10mg now for about 11 days. (It has been about 5 weeks in total.) I would think it should be working by now. I am still having my initial anxiety symptoms and its REALLY getting me down. Im just wondering how much longer i should give it. my dr doesnt seem to care one way or another. any suggestions? thansk alot, maria

#5 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:57 AM

When you guys are talking about how long it took to start working, are you speaking of the time on one particular dose, or the total time on it. i have weaned up slowly, but am at 10mg now for about 11 days. (It has been about 5 weeks in total.) I would think it should be working by now. I am still having my initial anxiety symptoms and its REALLY getting me down. Im just wondering how much longer i should give it. my dr doesnt seem to care one way or another. any suggestions? thansk alot, maria

10mg is considered to be the minimum therapeutic dose, so I would start counting from when you hit that dose. I started at the 10mg and was taking it for depression. (About to go back on it for both depression and anxiety.) Since it takes 7 days to hit a steady state, meaning the 10mg is at that level in your system all the time, you've really only been on the full dose for about 4 days.

Lexapro does seem to work well for anxiety, but it seems that people take a bit longer to feel real benefits for anxiety than they do for depression.

Good luck. I know how frustrating it is to wait for a med to work, but I wouldn't give up on the Lexapro just yet. Hopefully you will dtart to see some benefits in the next week or two.

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#6 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:23 AM

I started on 5mg for a day and said the heck with it and went to 10mg from the second day on. I'm not really sure when I can say it started working. It's been subtle improvements since day one, but I DEFINITELY feel better than I did 3 weeks ago. If I can just get this dang insomnia licked I would be golden. I agree with KA, the 5mg is not really a theraputic dose for most people. Give it a little longer at 10 mg.

Edited by maintainin, 03 April 2007 - 09:24 AM.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Brian

#7 Chester Cheetoh

Chester Cheetoh

Silver Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:09 PM

week 5

#8 cruz1287

cruz1287

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:24 PM

i will bear that in mind, i'm currently on my week 5 of taking the meds!!! Hopefully it will work now - fingers crossed!!! But all people are different arent they i guess??

cruz x

#9 cindyann

cindyann

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:16 PM

I'm actually on citalopram but I noticed a difference with the anxiety within 10 days. The depression is still somewhat of a prob (after 4 weeks) but doc is going to up my dosage so maybe that will help. It really is different with everyone and, of course, depending upon your own unique problems.
CindyAnn

"I love the light because it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars."
- Og Mandino

“Sometimes one has simply to endure a period of depression for what it may hold of illumination, if one can live through it ... attentive to what it exposes or demands.”
- May Sarton

#10 Chester Cheetoh

Chester Cheetoh

Silver Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:54 PM

i will bear that in mind, i'm currently on my week 5 of taking the meds!!! Hopefully it will work now - fingers crossed!!! But all people are different arent they i guess??

cruz x

for me, I noticed some slow, minor changes in weeks 2-4. In week 5 a lightswitch was thrown and the meds kicked in. According to my Doc, this is a typical response.

Also, 4-6 weeks is what they say you should expect change.

So give it another week and if still nothing talk to your Doc.

Good luck!

#11 cruz1287

cruz1287

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:57 PM

Thanks chester cheetoh!!! You still give me hope....i will keep waiting!! :hearts:

cruz xoxo

#12 Chester Cheetoh

Chester Cheetoh

Silver Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:04 PM

Thanks chester cheetoh!!! You still give me hope....i will keep waiting!! :hearts:

cruz xoxo

I hope it works for you. It worked for me. I love this stuff! I have my life back now.

#13 poppyann1

poppyann1

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 08:49 PM

How long did it take for you guys to notice the positive effects of Cipralex/Lexapro (escitalopram)?

Hi all i am new ! im from England and just hitting my 6 week mark on escitalopram 20mg : i have been through alot of side effects but after reading some replys on here i think the doc started me on a high dose to quickly .I had dizziness, i stopped in bed for at least 4 wks , couldnt get enough sleep!! packed my job in , got no interest in house work or my family i just basically wanted to be on my own but i must say last week i came through the dark side and escitalopram has kicked in i got out of my bed got a new job and i feel im 50% better not quiet there yet. The only side effects i have now is i carnt sleep , hence i am sitting here writing this at 2:45 am and when will these hot sweats at night stop ? i would also be grateful to know if anyone has had any bruising as my torso and legs keep on bruising for no reason ; i dont drink so i know its not through falling over drunk lol and if it is normal to be put on 2omg straight away by the doctor. Thanks to you all

#14 lowen1982

lowen1982

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:25 AM

It only took about 2 weeks for me to notice a difference in my mood while taking Lexapro. The only side effect that I really had was not sleeping well.

#15 SilvrAngl

SilvrAngl

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:33 PM

Hi Everyone,

From what I've read...it's been great info for me. Just started on Lex today 5mg for a week and then 10mg after that. I assuming the low dosage is because I was on SE 50mg for a week and the past 4 days have been getting these terrible migraines. This is my first time taking ADs since being diagnosed with severe depression last month. Hopefully Lex will help me get back to normal, as I haven't been doing any of the physical activities (running and working out) that I once enjoyed in over two months due to lack of energy amongst other things. But this isn't the right forum to complain in....

Silvrangl :hearts:

#16 fed_up

fed_up

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:44 PM

I hope it goes well for you SilvrAngl and you get the energy back to exercise.

It's my fifth day taking Citalopram and it's been a good one. I don't want to speak too soon, but today at work i've felt much better than i have been recently. I do have good days and bad days anyway, but after a really low period, today has been a bit like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. My mood has been better at work and so i've communicated more and felt all round brighter than i have been. I'm just going to go with the flow from here.

I'm on 20mg and i've been making sure i get my omega 3's and B Vitamins as well. The only side affect is the yawning.

Edited by fed_up, 16 October 2007 - 03:49 PM.

#17 TimoSupremo

TimoSupremo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

On Monday, I will have been on Lexapro for 6 full weeks, and 5 full weeks at my current dosage of 20 mg. I would say I've experienced modest improvement of symptoms like irrational guilt, difficulty concentrating, and irritation, but I still suffer from severe generalized social anxiety, flattened and inappropriate affect (lack of expression and experience of emotion), lack of motivation and libido, and alogia (basically means I respond to questions with brief responses or speak very concisely with little elaboration). These latter symptoms are consistent with negative symptomology as seen in schizophrenic disorders. Does anyone have any advice on meds for those? I doubt Lexapro was meant to treat them.

#18 MichaelBlue

MichaelBlue

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:45 AM

Sure would appreciate hearing from more Lexapro users about when the effects of the medicine started kicking in strongly. I started taking 10mg/day two weeks ago for severe depression/anxiety. I'm finding it almost impossible to concentrate on my work, or much of anything at all. I tend to go on long walks, during which I zone out and think of nothing. Or spend hour after hour combing depression forums. Thanks.

#19 SilvrAngl

SilvrAngl

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:03 PM

Sure would appreciate hearing from more Lexapro users about when the effects of the medicine started kicking in strongly. I started taking 10mg/day two weeks ago for severe depression/anxiety. I'm finding it almost impossible to concentrate on my work, or much of anything at all. I tend to go on long walks, during which I zone out and think of nothing. Or spend hour after hour combing depression forums. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat you are MichealBlue. Been on Cipralex 10mg for 2 weeks for severe depression and I feel pretty much out of it most of the time. Can't concentrate or get motivated, lack energy, am tired alot, yet can't sleep at night. I find zoning out or just vegging out the only thing I do lately. Perhaps the mind needs a mental rest...I don't know. Been trying to figure out how to cope with this. I use to spends hours combing on the forum as well.

The one thing I do notice that kicks in right away is, it calms my uncontrolable crying fits I that use to get for no reason. Beyond that, I still have headaches (more than usual) and feel light headed or dizzy.
Still waiting for the med affects to wear out...hopefully soon.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:hearts:

#20 MichaelBlue

MichaelBlue

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:05 PM

Hi SilvrAngl-
Sorry you're in the same zone, but it's good to connect and hear from a fellow traveler. Quite a lonely experience we're going through, hour by hour, huh? -- trapped inside our heads as we wait for a medicine to hopefully rescue us.
Good point about the crying jags; the medicine totally prevents me from going there, too. I'm not suffering insomnia, but do find myself bolting awake several times in the night.
But it's the hours spent 'zoning out' that are causing me some frustration -- not to mention boredom -- especially if I need to be like this for another 2-3 weeks before the medicine kicks in.
Best regards.

#21 MichaelBlue

MichaelBlue

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:14 PM

BTW, SilvrAngl, I do hope you find a way to start exercising again. A few weeks ago, I started forcing myself to work out (for the first time in years), and have been running on a treadmill 3-4x a week. Also quit a heavy smoking habit 2 weeks ago cold turkey. Oddly enough, not a single craving, which perplexes me. The only thing I can think of is that the depression has so scared me that I won't even allow myself to smoke or even to have a craving for it. Also, no alcohol.
None of these lifestyle changes are making me feel better right now, but at least they are not making me feel worse. And making this investment in the future feels like a positive and necessary move in what is such a dark and bleak period.

#22 fingaz

fingaz

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 12:42 AM

i was on lexapro for 18 months and it didn't "cut the mustard" at all. must be something to do with my body chemistry because my new med's work well.

#23 gucci son

gucci son

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:30 PM

It took me a week and a half to see results with lexapro 10mg hang in thier. It works different in everybody.
Life and depression is like a game of Chess......

#24 Mangoman

Mangoman

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:06 PM

I've been suffering from post heart operation depression and have been taking Escitalopram for almost eight months now wothout any apparent improvement im my bdepression apart from the fact I no longer cry my eyes out so much! I also taking 1 mg Lorazepam which my GP will not increase despite the fact that I was on 3 mg some time ago when I used to cry un****rollably. This 1 mg bucks me up for a few minutes before all the symptoms od depression come flooding back.

I understand that Lorazepam is intended for shock/trauma and is not an AD so why is my GP prescribing it? I feel that I am getting nowhere with either the counselling or medication. Is there an alternative AD that other listers have taken which has been successful for them?

Today has been the worst I've experienced for several months so obviously the Escitalopram isn't working as I still have this awful depression and am lost as to where to turn next.

Mangoman

#25 kstours

kstours

• Platinum Member
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:19 PM

I've been suffering from post heart operation depression and have been taking Escitalopram for almost eight months now wothout any apparent improvement im my bdepression apart from the fact I no longer cry my eyes out so much! I also taking 1 mg Lorazepam which my GP will not increase despite the fact that I was on 3 mg some time ago when I used to cry un****rollably. This 1 mg bucks me up for a few minutes before all the symptoms od depression come flooding back.

I understand that Lorazepam is intended for shock/trauma and is not an AD so why is my GP prescribing it? I feel that I am getting nowhere with either the counselling or medication. Is there an alternative AD that other listers have taken which has been successful for them?

Today has been the worst I've experienced for several months so obviously the Escitalopram isn't working as I still have this awful depression and am lost as to where to turn next.

Mangoman

Hmmm... if you've been on the med for 8 months with only minimal improvement, I don't really understand why your doc hasn't tried you on a different med. There are many different ADs and many different mechanisms by which they work, so your best bet would probably be to consult with a psychiatrist who specializes in pharmacology (a psychopharmacologist). Lorazepam and other barbituates are not good to take long-term as you can build up a tolerance/reliance on them and they don't do anything to adjust the chemistry that can be causing the depression--they just temporarily numb you. For me, a switch to Wellbutrin worked wonders, but that's not the answer for everyone as it can cause an increase in anxiety (and even in depression) for some people. Can you get a second opinion on your meds?
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

"It ain't never no use puttin' up your umbrell' till it rains!"
-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#26 KLC

KLC

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:38 AM

Hi i'm new to this forum and i've been taking 5mg of escitalopram for 5 weeks now and my anxiety levels have increased. i feel like i'm going crazy and don't know my own mind. it's like i can't think straight. i am only on 5mg becaus ei got sooooo anxious on 10 mg. I had this stomach bug last week so gp said meds wouldn't have worked properly and i started getting withdrawal symptoms which made me worse so have been taking 2mg of diazepam to help me sleep. Now i feel really weird the next day. Gp is getting fed up of me but i need reassurance that i'm not crazy and it's just the meds. When will i feel better and does any of this ring any bells with you guys.

Thanks

k

#27 flowergal

flowergal

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

Hi i'm new to this forum and i've been taking 5mg of escitalopram for 5 weeks now and my anxiety levels have increased. i feel like i'm going crazy and don't know my own mind. it's like i can't think straight. i am only on 5mg becaus ei got sooooo anxious on 10 mg. I had this stomach bug last week so gp said meds wouldn't have worked properly and i started getting withdrawal symptoms which made me worse so have been taking 2mg of diazepam to help me sleep. Now i feel really weird the next day. Gp is getting fed up of me but i need reassurance that i'm not crazy and it's just the meds. When will i feel better and does any of this ring any bells with you guys.

Thanks

k

Hi there...it took 8 weeks for my med to START working. It's been 13 weeks, and I feel alot better, but still have lingering anxiety (which got worse after the med). To PP, the feelings you are having are normal (feeling crazy and can't think straight), I had them too early on. They are because of the increased anxiety (side effects of the meds). They WILL go away. Believe me. I found it hard reading other people's responses saying they were feeling better after 1 week, 1 month, etc, when there I was at 6 weeks, still feeling crazy and depressed. Give it more time, it'll get better.

#28 MichaelBlue

MichaelBlue

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

KLC:

As you say your GP is getting fed up with you, perhaps it's time to see a psychiatrist who knows more about antidepressant pharmacology. I think that's what I would do.

I'm not a doctor, and the moderators here know far more than me. But my strong impression -- from all that I've read at this forum and scrolling through clinical studies -- is that 5mg of escitalopram may not be an effective dose for most people for treatment of depression OR anxiety. Also that clonapin at bedtime MAY have a gentler effect on your mornings than diazepam.

If I am wrong, I hope others weigh in here, please!

Hang in there! It WILL get better.

Edited by MichaelBlue, 15 January 2008 - 04:13 PM.

#29 Violet_Stars

Violet_Stars

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:26 AM

KLC:

As you say your GP is getting fed up with you, perhaps it's time to see a psychiatrist who knows more about antidepressant pharmacology. I think that's what I would do.

I'm not a doctor, and the moderators here know far more than me. But my strong impression -- from all that I've read at this forum and scrolling through clinical studies -- is that 5mg of escitalopram may not be an effective dose for most people for treatment of depression OR anxiety. Also that clonapin at bedtime MAY have a gentler effect on your mornings than diazepam.

If I am wrong, I hope others weigh in here, please!

Hang in there! It WILL get better.

mmmmz i second that. 10mg really hits the spot. It actually shocks me that a GP can give out psychopharmoseuticals. Where I'm from they would never allow that. Anyway, seriously mate if its not working go see a shrink!

#30 Nole

Nole

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:55 AM

Felt better at week two. If I am sick or have my period some of the anxiousness and thoughts come back but not nearly as bad, I would consider it is what normal people feel, its only been 6 1/2 weeks so I expect continued improvement as time goes on. So far I feel it has worked well, I am less anxious and calmer.

#31 Izzy85

Izzy85

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

First time around it took about 2-4 weeks...second time around, it took at least 8 weeks...but I was very depressed and anxious...

#32 barclay

barclay

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:06 AM

Hi everyone. I've been on cipralex for 8 weeks now, 4 at 10mg, 4 at 20mg, and I think it may be starting to help. I still feel pretty numb emotionally, and have problems sleeping, but feel permanently tired. Seeing pdoc next week, hope he can improve things. Thanks for everyones posts - they really do help.
rgds

#33 Agatha

Agatha

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:02 PM

Hello all - I'm new to the group. I've weaned off paxil with Cipralex and had no issues at all! Now I am on Cipralex for three weeks straight and am experiencing panic attacks again...anyone out there experience this?

thanks

#34 HopefulOne

HopefulOne

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:23 PM

Agatha --

Welcome to DF. :hearts:

Great news that you were able to wean off Paxil, but I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing panic starting on Cipralex! It's such a frustrating thing, isn't it? I had my first (and last) panic attack ever while adjusting to Lexapro (Cipralex) -- during the first couple weeks. It's not unheard of that people can experience panic attacks during their build-up phase. Hope they pass soon for you. Did your doc prescribe a benzo (Xanax or Klonopin) to help you with increased anxiety during your adjustment phase? You may find a benzo medication helpful to help get you over the initial side-effect hump...

Best to you,
HopefulOne

#35 zamardii

zamardii

• PipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 12:38 PM

Felt my best 2 months after I started taking 20mg.

#36 flowergal

flowergal

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:01 PM

About 4 months on 30mg.

#37 bluefinger

bluefinger

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:07 AM

i've been taking lexapro 10mg for four weeks now. the only noticeable difference is my confidence with strangers (i no longer go "um.. ehh.. *cough*...) when i'm talking to people. i can't tell if this is due to the lexapro or counseling. other than that i still can't sleep properly and feel down in myself a lot. my doctor told me it would take four to six weeks for me to see the effects of the medication, so i guess i'll give it a while longer.

#38 JJcaine

JJcaine

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:59 PM

I was prescribed Lexapro Yesterday for anxiety and I notcied a huge change within 5 hours. It may have been an alergic response. Today is day two and I am not feeling it like I was yesterday. Yesterday I had feelings of euphoria and somtimes uncontrolled laughter. Can someone tell me whether or not I should tell my doctor?

#39 RSR

RSR

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

I was prescribed Lexapro Yesterday for anxiety and I notcied a huge change within 5 hours. It may have been an alergic response. Today is day two and I am not feeling it like I was yesterday. Yesterday I had feelings of euphoria and somtimes uncontrolled laughter. Can someone tell me whether or not I should tell my doctor?

Hi JJcaine,

I had the same thing happen to me on the first day. For the next week I felt worse than when I started lexapro. It can take up to 4-6 weeks before it can have an effect and sometimes even longer. I am now on week 3 at 10mg and I only just started to feel a little better.

At the moment I'm feeling rather down because I have decreased my caffine intake by a large amount. Fingers crossed, I hope we are both feeling better soon.

Just remember you may feel bad and have side effects for about a week but this will pass, continue taking your precription.

RSR

#40 JJcaine

JJcaine

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:42 AM

Hi JJcaine,

I had the same thing happen to me on the first day. For the next week I felt worse than when I started lexapro. It can take up to 4-6 weeks before it can have an effect and sometimes even longer. I am now on week 3 at 10mg and I only just started to feel a little better.

At the moment I'm feeling rather down because I have decreased my caffine intake by a large amount. Fingers crossed, I hope we are both feeling better soon.

Just remember you may feel bad and have side effects for about a week but this will pass, continue taking your precription.

RSR

Thank You for sharing your experience. I will give it some time and see what happens. In regard to caffeine I used to drink 2 to 3 Rockstars a day. With all that sugar my body fat percentage starting climbing so I stopped. The first couple of days after quitting I felt miserable but then felt better. I am a little anal with keeping fit and have been told I have issues with eating, but that is for another post.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users