Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Celexa Dosage Increase To 20mg

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cindyann

cindyann

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

Hey all... *waving*
Just wondering about something......my doc is thinking of increasing my citalopram dose from 10 mg to 20 mg. I assume it will be like when I first started and I'll have some SE's??? Anyone else make a smooth transition to a higher dose with bother of SE's? Guess I'm just nervous about it, yet I prob do need a higher dose since my depression is still kicking in frequently even after 4 weeks. Thanks for input dear friends.
:rose:
CindyAnn

"I love the light because it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars."
- Og Mandino

“Sometimes one has simply to endure a period of depression for what it may hold of illumination, if one can live through it ... attentive to what it exposes or demands.”
- May Sarton

#2 surgeon2006

surgeon2006

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:09 AM

Hey Cindyann,

I was first put on 30mg's and then was increaed to 60mgs within a short time frame. And i have to say i did notice some side effects but after some time the did decrease.

Because its only a 10mg increase you shouldnt notice anything too significant, with some luck you wont have any side effects.
Life is too short to wake up with regrets,
So love the people who treat you right.
Forget about the ones who don't.
Believe everything happens for a reason.
If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.
If it changes your life, let it.
Nobody said life would be easy....
they just promised itd be worth it.

#3 kstours

kstours

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:28 PM

Hi, cindyann. I had the same experience as Surgeon when I went from 10 mg to 20 mg of Lexapro, but the worst of the "new round" of side effects passed in about 3 days for me. I never had the headache problem I think you said you experienced, but I get migraines so I can understand if that's the side effect you're worried about--hopefully your body has adjusted enough to the meds now that you wouldn't re-experience that. For me, increasing the dosage was more about wanting to sleep all the time at first. If it helps any, the increase from 10 to 20 mg was the "magic bullet" I needed to really start feeling better. Hopefully the new dose will be right for you, too!
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

"It ain't never no use puttin' up your umbrell' till it rains!"
-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#4 Guest_john_v_r_*

Guest_john_v_r_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2007 - 02:44 PM

I increased from 10mg eventually to 40mg. At each step the side effects appeared, but they were MUCH less trouble than in the beginning and passed more quickly.

#5 leila24

leila24

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:40 PM

Hi Cindyann,
How did the side effects go? Hope they wern't too bad for you, I cant really comment on moving up to 20mg as I went straight onto 20 in the first place, side effects wern't nice then, but that was the initial start up and soon petered out.

Good luck and take care hun

Leila xx :hearts:
"Stop thinking, start living! Each and every moment of our lives, we have a choice....to be lost in thought, or fully engaged in life"~ John Selby.

"It's just a ride"~ Bill Hicks

#6 cindyann

cindyann

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 05:08 PM

Hi Cindyann,
How did the side effects go? Hope they wern't too bad for you, I cant really comment on moving up to 20mg as I went straight onto 20 in the first place, side effects wern't nice then, but that was the initial start up and soon petered out.
Leila xx :bump:

Thks Leila.. I just today moved up to the 20 mg. Shoulda called my doc last week but didn't get around to it until this morning (hectic week). Took the 20mg today and don't feel any different so far so hoping it goes well w/side effects. I do have to say this is a hugh improvement for me over the wellbutrin. That was starting to make me really nutty with anxiety and the citalopram is much more calming for me. Sooooooooo glad for that. Thanks for caring and hugs to all.
:hearts:
CindyAnn

"I love the light because it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars."
- Og Mandino

“Sometimes one has simply to endure a period of depression for what it may hold of illumination, if one can live through it ... attentive to what it exposes or demands.”
- May Sarton

#7 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:09 AM

Hi Cindyann,
Leila xx :flowers:

Thks Leila.. I just today moved up to the 20 mg. Shoulda called my doc last week but didn't get around to it until this morning (hectic week). Took the 20mg today and don't feel any different so far so hoping it goes well w/side effects. I do have to say this is a hugh improvement for me over the wellbutrin. That was starting to make me really nutty with anxiety and the citalopram is much more calming for me. Sooooooooo glad for that. Thanks for caring and hugs to all.
:hearts:

Hi: I realize how old this post is but hopefully you will see it. I've been on 20mgs and feel I should up my dosage at least 5mg. Are you still taking Celexa and if so is your dosage still 20mg or have you changed that? Thanks.

Karen

#8 Dooga16

Dooga16

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

I started on 20. I got side effects increasing to 30 and increasing to 40. I ended up going back to 20 for a short period. When I was on 40, my mood was better overall. The side effects, for me, were mood swings that resulted in severe suicidal episodes. Obviously, I can't take a risk on my health like that.

To help deal with my thoughts, I was prescribed a low does of Seroquel. That removed all the side effects from me, and I don't have maniac episodes at all on a low dose of 25 mg. I'm back up to 40 mg of Celexa. My depression isn't gone, exactly, but it's a lot better.

According to my Psychiatrist, Celexa also has a "side effect" adjustment period that usually goes away. Good luck!

#9 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

I started on 20. I got side effects increasing to 30 and increasing to 40. I ended up going back to 20 for a short period. When I was on 40, my mood was better overall. The side effects, for me, were mood swings that resulted in severe suicidal episodes. Obviously, I can't take a risk on my health like that.

To help deal with my thoughts, I was prescribed a low does of Seroquel. That removed all the side effects from me, and I don't have maniac episodes at all on a low dose of 25 mg. I'm back up to 40 mg of Celexa. My depression isn't gone, exactly, but it's a lot better.

According to my Psychiatrist, Celexa also has a "side effect" adjustment period that usually goes away. Good luck!

So you're presently taking 40mg Celexa daily with 25mg Seroquel? Did you start on 25mg Seroquel or did you start at a lower dose?

#10 Meggie2345

Meggie2345

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

WOW, you guys have me REALLY freaked! I had a baby a year ago, and have been dealing with some postpartum, and some chemical depression. Took FOREVER to get to a doctor, cause of not having insurance, and finally did. She started me on 20mgs, and it has only been a week, but I feel like I feel WORSE!!!! The doctor picked this one cause she said it was supposed to be not that bad about side effects, and she never mentioned it would make me sleepy! Dumb women, knows I have a baby, she couldn't have picked one that wouldn't emake me pass out while I'm with my baby! It was 60$ last time we went, and we don't have the money for me to go back yet, I am thinking of increasing my own dose. I know most people would freak about this, but desperate times call for desperate measures. I don't wanna lose my family! Luckily, none of it is really directed at my daughter other than just feeling so bad that I can't play with her a lot, but it is ALL directed at her father, who I am DESPERATELY in love with, and he is having a hard time(even though he loves me) understanding that it's not "me". I have never been a person that yells or throws things, but I yell at him almost DAILY! We have been together for 4 years, and I have NEVER doubted his loyalty, and all the sudden if feels like my intuition is SCREAMING at me that he's messing around with this women at work. One thing I have learned in my life is to trust my intuition, but now I'm not sure if it's just my hormones or something. This isn't a man that would mess around. He doesn't even really have time, but it is ******* me, and I need to know if anyone else has gone threw this, especially to let him know. Even though it's not always what I'm doing, he is very angry and hurt, cause he feels like he's getting accused all the time. Then my intuition started telling me that he was getting angry cause he had something to be guilty about, but I guess if i hadn't done anything wrong, and was just going to work to take care of my family, it would make me mad to be doubted too. I have completely uprooted and changed my whole life for him, I moved away from my family and all my friends, to live with him, and now everyone here(mostly his family) thinks I'm "The Crazy Biotch", and it doesn't seem fair, cause I don't feel like any of this is my fault! What are some of the side effects you guys are dealing with? When your doctors increase your meds, do they usually do it by 10mgs? I know this is WAY to long, but I don't want my wonderful baby girl to lose being with her daddy every day, and I don't want to lose the other half of myself! Some advice would really help, sometimes it helps to hear others have had similar experiences.
Thanks,
Megan

Spartanburg, SC

Hey all... *waving*
Just wondering about something......my doc is thinking of increasing my citalopram dose from 10 mg to 20 mg. I assume it will be like when I first started and I'll have some SE's??? Anyone else make a smooth transition to a higher dose with bother of SE's? Guess I'm just nervous about it, yet I prob do need a higher dose since my depression is still kicking in frequently even after 4 weeks. Thanks for input dear friends.
:rose:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users