Advertisement

Registration/Login Issues

If you are experiencing any problems regarding registration or logging-in to your account subsequent to our recent upgrades, then please contact dfadmin@depressionforums.org. Thank you, and happy holidays!

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Long Did Lexapro Take To Work For You Guys?...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 kkuylen

kkuylen

ID: 14657

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

Hi guys,

I was wondering (since I have nothing better to do nowadays) how long it took for Lexapro to work for you guys. I have been on it a month today, although started very low at 2.5, then 5 then 7.5 and 10 tomorrow. It has done NOTHING for me so far and Im pretty disappointed, b/c so many have had success. And most say Lexapro works faster than the others. I am giving it 2 1/2 more weeks, but my doctor wanted me to stop today and try something else. I had to talk her into it, and said to her "maybe its just not enough" (like Im a doctor or something. lol).

Please someone give me hope that it worked for them later rather than sooner- or maybe that it only worked on 10mg or more. Please, even if you lie to me- just tell me (lol). Its been 6 months and Im just about ready to lose my mind with these symptoms every day- its so hard to function. But Im trying to be strong.

Plus my dog was one of those hit with the kidney failure from the tainted food and is in the hospital on IV now. If she doesnt make it- Im going to be devastated. Thanks for all of your support. Maria

#2 kstours

kstours

ID: 11374

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:55 PM

Hi, kk. I've been on Lexapro twice, and the first time it probably started working in a couple of weeks. The second time I got impatient at week 3 and the doc doubled the dose--that dose seemed to make the difference. (Went from 10 to 20 mg, so my doses were much higher than yours.) Sometimes and change in dose can really make a difference. There's a poll thread here you might want to take a look at:

How long did it take?
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

"It ain't never no use puttin' up your umbrell' till it rains!"
-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#3 Deet

Deet

Gold Member

ID: 1051

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:10 AM

I saw some improvement at six weeks. Eight weeks is really common, so don't ditch Lex yet. Everyone seems to think it works faster, but it doesn't.

That said, you ARE on a low dose. I started at 10mg and jumped to 20mg, but that's me.

Eventually I added Wellbutrin, and that did the trick. Hang in there. Sorry to hear about your dog, btw. Hope she gets better quick, and you.

-Dan
MOM!!! Phineas and Ferb are making a title sequence!!!

DX: Major depression/general anxiety
Rx's: Effexor, Lexapro, Lex/Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin, Buspar/Wellbutrin, Zoloft/Wellbutrin, Stablon, Cymbalta, Remeron, Nuvigil, and amoxapine in various combinations. Oh, and Xanax and trazodone from time to time.

#4 Penguin

Penguin

ID: 12841

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:10 PM

Hi Maria!

:hearts:

I did not notice any effect at all until 8 weeks. And that was after going from 10mg to 20mg at week 6. So hang in there, don't give up hope, it may work for you yet!

Sorry your depression is so bad and it's so hard to function. Also, I sure hope your dog is okay.

:bump:

- Penguin
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 kkuylen

kkuylen

ID: 14657

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for your input guys. Im going to keep taking it and hope the 10 mg works eventually. And thanks for asking about my doggie. We had to put her down on Fri b/c she did not respond to the flushing of her kidneys and the antibiotics and she started to really suffer. It was the hardest thing I had to do. And she was such a great dog that even on her last breath when she was too weak to stand, she sat up and looked at me and my husband and wagged her tail for a second. It was so sad and Ill never forget her. Thanks for all of your kind words. And to those of you with pets, they dont think it was the dry food I gave her b/c I have another dog who is much smaller who was eating the same food and we did blood work on him and he's fine. It was just a bad coincidence. Thanks all. Maria

#6 Penguin

Penguin

ID: 12841

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:35 PM

(((((Maria)))))

So sorry...

- Penguin
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Aarondawg

Aarondawg

ID: 13871

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:17 AM

Hi Maria!

I did not notice any effect at all until 8 weeks. And that was after going from 10mg to 20mg at week 6. So hang in there, don't give up hope, it may work for you yet!

Sorry your depression is so bad and it's so hard to function. Also, I sure hope your dog is okay.

:bump:

- Penguin

Penguin, I have been on 10mg for 6 weeks and while I am seeing some benefits, I am still not there. I am thinking that I need to have my dose upped to 20mg. I have two friends who felt better after their dosage was upped from 10 to 20mg.

#8 Jkm

Jkm

ID: 28

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:29 AM

I was on Lexapro for Panic Disorder and Depression, years ago. It took 6 weeks for it to work well enough for me to go back to work and that's saying lots, lol! I worked a high stress job and didn't know if I'd ever be able to go back. I started out at 5mg. for a week and went to 10 mg. after that. Maybe give it another two weeks before deciding to go onto something else, as you were on such a low dose in the beginning. I was on this med for 15 mo. before tapering onto another ad that had more benefits for a medical condition...

Sorry to hear about your dog. Pets are such great companions and have tons of love to give. We really benefit from their presence, and I know that this has to be very difficult for you to go through. You're in my prayers.

Love, Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#9 kstours

kstours

ID: 11374

• Platinum Member
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:11 PM

They say that dogs don't stay with us on earth for very long because they're already so close to being angels. I'm so sorry, Maria. I believe she will always be with you.

((((((((Maria))))))))
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

"It ain't never no use puttin' up your umbrell' till it rains!"
-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#10 bunnzy

bunnzy

ID: 9548

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

I started taking lexapro when i was 6 months pregnant but it didnt seem to do anything for me until after the babay was born and my hormones regulated.

I'd rather be a mother than anyone on earth
Bringing up a child or two of unpretentious birth....
I'd rather tuck a little child all safe and sound in bed
Than twine a chain of diamonds about my (carefree) head.
I'd rather wash a smudgy face with round, bright, baby eyes
Than paint the pageantry of fame or walk amoung the wise.
- Meredith Gray, from The Beauty of Motherhood

#11 Lindsay

Lindsay

Forum Super Administrator

ID: 2

• Super Administrators
  • 15,162 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:27 PM

Hi guys,

I was wondering (since I have nothing better to do nowadays) how long it took for Lexapro to work for you guys. I have been on it a month today, although started very low at 2.5, then 5 then 7.5 and 10 tomorrow. It has done NOTHING for me so far and Im pretty disappointed, b/c so many have had success. And most say Lexapro works faster than the others. I am giving it 2 1/2 more weeks, but my doctor wanted me to stop today and try something else. I had to talk her into it, and said to her "maybe its just not enough" (like Im a doctor or something. lol).

Please someone give me hope that it worked for them later rather than sooner- or maybe that it only worked on 10mg or more. Please, even if you lie to me- just tell me (lol). Its been 6 months and Im just about ready to lose my mind with these symptoms every day- its so hard to function. But Im trying to be strong.

Plus my dog was one of those hit with the kidney failure from the tainted food and is in the hospital on IV now. If she doesnt make it- Im going to be devastated. Thanks for all of your support. Maria

(((((((((((( Maria))))))))))))

Your pDoc has you starting out slow which is a good thing. Stick with it darlin' as so many give up on their meds way too early before it has a chance to do it's 'job'.
I am so sorry about your furbaby and you both will be in my thoughts. :hearts:

Be Well....

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

Forum Super Administrator
DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.

My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

#12 fingaz

fingaz

ID: 14801

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:25 AM

i was on lexapro for 18 months, it worked well but then "pooped" out, it did help but now i am on paxil (again), i want to try effexor, but don't know.

#13 rainseed

rainseed

ID: 29661

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

Hi, kk. I've been on Lexapro twice, and the first time it probably started working in a couple of weeks. The second time I got impatient at week 3 and the doc doubled the dose--that dose seemed to make the difference. (Went from 10 to 20 mg, so my doses were much higher than yours.) Sometimes and change in dose can really make a difference. There's a poll thread here you might want to take a look at:

How long did it take?

is this antidepressant make you gain weight?

#14 rainseed

rainseed

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

I saw some improvement at six weeks. Eight weeks is really common, so don't ditch Lex yet. Everyone seems to think it works faster, but it doesn't.

That said, you ARE on a low dose. I started at 10mg and jumped to 20mg, but that's me.

Eventually I added Wellbutrin, and that did the trick. Hang in there. Sorry to hear about your dog, btw. Hope she gets better quick, and you.

-Dan

how long did it take you to titrate up to 20mg?

#15 rainseed

rainseed

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:01 PM

How long did it take?

what side effects are with this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users