Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Test Distinguishes Between Bipolar & Depression

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 jsdwellsnme

jsdwellsnme

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:36 PM

From my experience it affects how I work. Euphoria and depression episodes can make you very ineffective...also emotional breakdowns on the job are not seen very well, makes you seem unprofessional. In the banking world for example, you must keep your composure in tact.

How can it be a career destroyer? Explain?

I can really relate to the emotional breakdowns. My workplace knows that i am capable of doing things wery well but because I have so many emotional breakdowns they dont take me seriously. They don't believe me when I say I can't help it. Once the tears begin its really hard to get me back in composure.I work retail, so breaking down in front of customers isnt seen as very good. I dont breakdown because of the customers though . ITs the managment that I have the breakdowns with. They cant trust that I wont breakdown like that in a customer situation. i have been put on a medical leave of absence for now. Ive tried to go back but I just can't cope. I went to y pdoc and fell apart in his office at the thought of ever going back to work. He was beside himself. He didnt know what to say to me. He told not to even think about work right now and that I was in crisis. He just keeps giving me one edication after another to try to get the right combination. the proble with that is I cant afford to go to the office as uch as he wants me to because its 35 dollars each time. Has anybody ever heard of sombody having to rehabilitate into a different career field because they cant cope with their bipolar in a certain evironment or will I have this problem wherever I go?
  • haggi likes this
Darla

#42 makemesmile

makemesmile

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:37 PM

I'm diagosed with severe depressiona and GAD. Doctors and therapist both agree that there is a huge probablity of having BPD (borderline personality disorder) or BPII. Why does it take so long to get the diagnosis? Whatever it is it's here to stay, so tell me for gosh sakes! The NOT knowing makes me more anxious than the disease itself. I am in DBT Therepy and from what I've read, and spoken to with the therapist, it is for people with BPD. I do not go to groups, only personal one-on-one sessions (my husband comes too). Well, if I'm doing all that why not just call it that? Or BPII? Has anyone else had problems getting a straight answer quickly as to what the heck you have?

Yes! I still don't know the answer. I presume I've been diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety (although now it's severe anxiety, mild depression, since medication) but I'm still sure I'm bi-polar as all the symptoms seem to fit! Anyway I'm on lithium now and amitriptaline, but I know lithium is meant to help bi-polar people and it seems to be helping so far! Don't think I'll ever know which 1 I've got! If anyone knows a clear diagnosis please let me know.

#43 missclaudia123

missclaudia123

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

yeah, exactly. The symptoms you are experiencing should be treated if they are hindering your life. I suffer more from depression than "hypomania". I was once diagnosed with this bipolar II from an SSRI reaction. I didn't buy it and thought it was a hasty diagnosis, particularly because it can be a career destroyer. If the rare times in my life that I felt euphoric (not from self medication) were hypomania, I'll take it anyday over this chronic depression...
Lucinda.

I'm not sure if this is what he/she was referring to. But sometimes it can make it harder on someone with the diagnosis to cope at work and such,.
Sometimes the pain's too strong to bare...and life gets so hard you just don't care. You feel so alone you just sit and cry...every second you wish you could die. Then you start thinking who would care...if one day they woke up-and you weren't there.

#44 TardisGrl

TardisGrl

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:49 AM

My original diagnosis was depression, but my psychiatrist is now considering the possibility that I may be bipolar. What happens when someone who is bipolar takes antidepressants? Is it really a problem?

AD's can send Bipolar patients into dangerous mania, like me.
Dx: Major Depressive Disorder w/ Bipolar Tendencies
Rx: Lamictal (200MG), Zoloft (25MG), & Ativan (0.5MG)
Past Dx: Clinical Depression & Panic Disorder
Past Rx: Prozac (40MG),
Paxil (40MG), & Abilify (15MG)

#45 blooghost

blooghost

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

This thread is pure gold! I was diagnosed as having BP II over a year ago. Not exactly sure if it was spot on,though. If possible,I'll leave a list of symptoms/scenarios that would support my diagnosis,and a seperate list of symptoms/scenarios that wouldn't
Pro:
I've always been moody.
I've punched/kicked/broken many an inanimate object.
I've had few-and-far-between hallucinations(while sober)
I can be pretty easily irked.
I got a credit card at the height of my obsession with Magic:The Gathering and guitar related stuffs. Quickly maxed that out,in spite of having a mortgage.
I've said some hurtful,awful things to people I cared about,then felt like crap about it afterwards.
Cons:
Seems as though my moods cycle very slowly. Almost like months,to a year.
Depakote made me an absolute monster to be around.
I generally feel more apathetic,sullen,down in the abyss.
- ok,that's all I got. Definitely bipolar,lol!
Yet still,this thread's title spoke to me. An ex once told me that she thought it was a misdiagnosis,and had researched Borderline Personality Disorder. She said the description of that particular condition fit me to a t. But I think the doc maybe made the right call after all.

Edited by lindahurt, 29 June 2011 - 11:07 PM.
Triggering

#46 Bipolarbunny

Bipolarbunny

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

I did not see a proper psychiatrist until April 2010 after my family doc having put me on the highest available dose of Effexor for 4 years. Finally listened to me when I said my medication was not helping me. I had jumped through all the hoops, available to me like seeing and attending psychiatric out patient groups offered at the hospital. No until Dr Bushy Brows sat me in the chair and started listening to me. Did all the prep work, and medical tests. Did he say Bunny you are Bi polar 2 and have been for most of your life. It was a relief to finally have an answer. Mental Illness did run in my gene pool my nana being undiagnosed all her 93 years. Now I take three different medicines but I am much more stable and balanced. I am thankful I got the help, understanding and some of my self esteem back. I actually look forward to seeing Dr. Bushy Brows every month. While I do have severe down days I know how to cope with them in a positive manner.. blessed be

#47 whyme2011

whyme2011

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:58 AM

New to the sight i was said to have chronic depression...i have terrible mood swings one minute I'm punching holes in walls slammin doors the next I'm cryin and feeling alone. I not hyper at all I rather lay in my room and do nothing..i confined myself off from the world. I can't stand to be around people i feel as though they are judgin or plottin against me...i feel worthless i never want to go out don't talk to anyone unless i have too. I pick fights with family and friends so they don't want to be around me. My sleeping habits are crazy i sleep 2 days and be up 2 days...and on days that I'm not sleep i lie and say that i am so i can be alone...i feel alone even with family around daily. And i find it funny that i feel alone because i don't want anyone around...when i have to endure people glue on a fake smile..I'm always sad and i cry for no reason..i was molested from the ages of 5-8 by my uncle and raped at 17 by my boyfriend at the time.. i have lost 2 kids at birth and was told because of pcos i might not be able to carry full term or get pregnant again...which is very horrible news to hear..i feel less than a woman and less of a human being..i don't know what to do...i sought out help but its like they are ignoring my issues in order to get me in and out...i comtemplated suicide and have tried several times..i also tried cutting myself or finding other ways to bruise or hurt myself to give me a sense of satification...didn't help...I'm still here suffering..i need my hell to end either ending myself or a doctor helping me and finding the right combination of drugs to help stablize me....

Thanks for reading and responding...

#48 sebastian30000

sebastian30000

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hey, i'm new to forum because I have a question concerning cyclothymia.

I'm 16 and was diagnosed with dysthymia a few months ago, but recently I've been experience hypomanic (I think) moods. Yesterday for example I was leaving school then for no reason just started to feel amazing and euphoric. I began to crave mental stimulus and found it hard to concentrate on things unless they were exciting and I couldn't stop smiling and I also kept complementing people saying how amazing they were an I couldn't stop talking. I felt like nothing could bring me down. Anyway, this lasted for just 2 hours but after the 2 hours, I felt horrible, really depressed, worse than what I usually feel with my dysthymia. I just lay in bed doing nothing for like an hour, but after the hour I went back to feeling 'normal'.

This happens to me about once a month so it's insignificant but i'm worries that it could be the illness starting to develop or something

​Any advice much appreciated! :sigh:

Edited by sebastian30000, 27 January 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#49 ValWard

ValWard

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

From my experience it affects how I work. Euphoria and depression episodes can make you very ineffective...also emotional breakdowns on the job are not seen very well, makes you seem unprofessional. In the banking world for example, you must keep your composure in tact.

I can really relate to the emotional breakdowns. My workplace knows that i am capable of doing things wery well but because I have so many emotional breakdowns they dont take me seriously. They don't believe me when I say I can't help it. Once the tears begin its really hard to get me back in composure.I work retail, so breaking down in front of customers isnt seen as very good. I dont breakdown because of the customers though . ITs the managment that I have the breakdowns with. They cant trust that I wont breakdown like that in a customer situation. i have been put on a medical leave of absence for now. Ive tried to go back but I just can't cope. I went to y pdoc and fell apart in his office at the thought of ever going back to work. He was beside himself. He didnt know what to say to me. He told not to even think about work right now and that I was in crisis. He just keeps giving me one edication after another to try to get the right combination. the proble with that is I cant afford to go to the office as uch as he wants me to because its 35 dollars each time. Has anybody ever heard of sombody having to rehabilitate into a different career field because they cant cope with their bipolar in a certain evironment or will I have this problem wherever I go?

Hey, I know you posted this 7 months ago so you probably already have your answer. But I figured I'd share some experience with you in case you still need it (or anyone else that finds it later).

I used to be a really dedicated worker because I was able to "work my problems away". When I was focusing on work, I wasn't thinking about everything else that was going wrong. So I found it easy to make my way into management--I was barely 18 when I was finally promoted. I was at Little Caesars at the time. But dealing with employees that all wanted my job and thought they deserved it more because I was so young was just... excruciating. I quit three months later and found a call center job. The call center would have been fine actually--amazing company, fantastic health insurance, and I loved my bosses so much that it didn't matter that customers yelled at me every day! But since I had the insurance, that's when I started depression meds. I'm pretty sure it was Paxil, which has now been discontinued because it makes people terribly sick like it made me! Calling off two weeks in a row was just something the call center couldn't let slide so I had to quit before they fired me.

Once I got over the resulting depression from that, I went back into management--this time in retail, like you. I thought being promoted over people who had worked there just as long as I had was awful--but being hired from the outside was so much worse! I was constantly being watched and expected to screw up. And THEN my management changed and we got one assistant manager that talked to you like he was the Emperor and you had just scuffed his golden shoes. I couldn't be near him. I couldn't talk to him. When I saw him, my heart sank and I literally had to run and hide. It was horrible. Just weeks after that started, I got what I believed was a stomach ulcer. It wasn't--just extreme nausea from the anxiety of having to work with this monster. I had to quit, and that's where I am now--jobless again! Even while things in retail were going okay, I would still get anxious after I thought I screwed something up, so I'd call off at least a couple times a month... I used to be such a good worker but the anxiety literally made me physically ill.

Anyway, the point of all that is... YES, the environment you work in can have a huge effect! For some people retail is awesome because being around people makes them happy. But when you're constantly living in fear of your managers... it can tear you apart and if you're still there and still struggling, I'd urge you to start looking for a more "professional" job where your managers can't get away with treating you like dirt.

Hope that helps.

#50 ValWard

ValWard

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

I'm wondering the same thing someone else was... are you able to request that your family doctor gives you this test? I know a lot of people advise against family doctors but mine is really great, always has things I should try and discusses how my depression is getting better or worse and makes sure I know to call as soon as it changes. More than that, I've never been to a psychiatrist and without health insurance I don't know if that's even possible for me.

#51 misscriss

misscriss

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hi Everyone,

Well its been awhile since I last wrote on here and I'm having a lot of mixed thoughts on my dx.  I've been depressed on and off since 2010 and in Apr of 2012 I was starting to have symptoms of being hypomanic.  I went to see my old phyc doctor and wrote down the symptoms I was having.  I guess I started to think that I was bi-polar.  I got put on Divalproex for it and I was also on an anti depressant Pristiq. In July of this year I crashed into a depression again and I'm having a hard time with things still.  Since then I havn't had a hypomanic fase or manic fase at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or maybe how to really tell if I am really bipolar?

#52 spiritsage

spiritsage

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

My original diagnosis was depression, but my psychiatrist is now considering the possibility that I may be bipolar. What happens when someone who is bipolar takes antidepressants? Is it really a problem?

AD's can send Bipolar patients into dangerous mania, like me.

I went through some bad personal issues around 2000, my doctor put me on zoloft, and initially it seemed to help. Then I went on a 6 month remote job assignment and started seeing a new psychiatrist. My personal life was still in turmoil and getting worse. So the new dr. put me on a higher dose. And the mania symptoms began, and I drank alcohol to mask them. Over the next 6 months my zoloft dose reached 350mg/day, and I was becoming a full blown alcoholic. There followed a 6 year period of misery...my company went bankrupt, lost job and became homeless. And then I qualified for free mental health and I met a man who changed my life....he was an older psychiatrist who had sold his private practice and was now restricted by a non compete to only work in a public clinic environment. He figured out what was going on in our first two sessions....no more zoloft and a 900mg dose of lithium, which has since been upped to 1200mg after the death of a close friend. So, I still have aberrations, and I'm not always sure what causes them, but between the self knowledge I have developed over 13 years, and the support of a great local clinic, I'm on a good path. Just have to figure out a way to maintain an intimate relationship.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users