• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leila24

Dizzy Spells On Citalopram

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

Just a quicky to ask if anyone on Citalopram is getting dizzy spells.

I have been taking them for nearly 6 weeks and it only happens now and again, but when I do get dizzy its reallyyyy dizzy for a few seconds like im almost gonna fall over, its bearable and as I said only happens now and again, just wondered how many other members got this.

Thanks,

Leila xx

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Hi, Leila. The only time I got dizzy spells like you describe when on Lexapro was when I was reducing the dosage (withdrawal symptom). Have you changed your dosage lately, or the time you take the pills? Are you taking any other meds that might be interacting and increasing the effect of Cita for you, like Benadryl or anything? We all react differently to ADs so my suspicion is that it's a start-up side effect that will go away, but you might ask your doctor about it next time you see him/her.

Posted

Thanks Kim,

I havn't changed my dosage and Im not on anything else, but now that I think about it I had a virus all over christmas and blood test a few weeks ago showed it is still in my blood. During this my glands in my throat came up alot and my ears were effected and I was at the time very dizzy, I wonder if this mixed with the meds is causing it to last a little bit longer than the initial start up effects.

Thankyou for the reply :hearts:

Leila xx

Posted

Hi Leila.. Well I'm prob not much help as I've only been on citalopram for 11 days but haven't had any dizziness. Just headache the first 5 days (now gone...yippeeeeeee :hearts: ) and a little tiredness but not bad at all. Anxiety levels have been outrageous though.

Have you checked your blood pressure? We've got a b.p. monitor here at the house and sometimes my pressure drops low and I get dizzy but it's unrelated to citalopram (has happened for years for me). Just a thought.

I'm keeping up with your posts as you're ahead of me by a month I think (on the citalopram) and hoping it gives me some insight to how things might go on this med. I know we're all different in reactions, but reading other's experiences sure helps, huh? Anyway, hoping you feel better soon and am sending warm (((((((((HUGS)))))))))) your way :bump:

Posted

Hi Leila.. Well I'm prob not much help as I've only been on citalopram for 11 days but haven't had any dizziness. Just headache the first 5 days (now gone...yippeeeeeee :hearts: ) and a little tiredness but not bad at all. Anxiety levels have been outrageous though.

Have you checked your blood pressure? We've got a b.p. monitor here at the house and sometimes my pressure drops low and I get dizzy but it's unrelated to citalopram (has happened for years for me). Just a thought.

I'm keeping up with your posts as you're ahead of me by a month I think (on the citalopram) and hoping it gives me some insight to how things might go on this med. I know we're all different in reactions, but reading other's experiences sure helps, huh? Anyway, hoping you feel better soon and am sending warm (((((((((HUGS)))))))))) your way :shocked:

Hiya Cindy, really glad your headaches are subsiding, see that is something I didnt get as a start up effect, as you say we are all different, anxiety goes through to roof for the first week or so dosnt it...a big pain in the bum, but this does go away :bump: , its funny you say about blood pressure, I went into the doctors once before starting meds, she took my blood pressure and asked me if I was anxious at present, I said a little, why? and she proceeded to tell me by bp was low, talked to me and calmed me down, then took it again and it was normal, weird or what.

Reading other peoples experiences I find helps so much, even though we arn't all the same, it helps you to know that anything unpleasant your feeling is nothing but the anxiety and that it will get better soon, it gives you inspiration to carry on and know that you will feel much better if you try and see it through.

Massive warm hugs back at ya :shocked:

Posted

AAAARRRGGGHH! WITH THE DIZZY SPELLS!

So for a while now the dizzyness was a distant memeory, now today out of the blue (not sure if tiredness makes the dizzyness on meds worse as today I was struggling to keep my eyes open,too many late nights)

Drives me nuts, I could be just sat there at work (yes, back at work, can ya believe it :)) minding my own business, sat still and all, then i'l just get major dizzyness for a few seconds, this happened when I first went on the meds, but why now, its been a while.

Leila xx

Posted

Poor Leila! Is your ear infection all cleared up? No missed doses, I assume? I can't explain why you would be getting dizzy spells again after having not had them for a while. I think you should definitely mention it to your doctor as it's possible it's something totally unrelated to the ADs. Wish I could explain it for you!

:hearts:

Posted

Hey leila if this can help you, I've started getting the dizzy spells about 5 months after I started taking Lexapro. But I've been getting them here and there ever since. I try to not worry about them, if not I go crazy. But yeah I'm still on the same dosage, 10 mg a day, never missed a day. So I guess you shouldn't worry about it, it must be just a side effect...a really annoying one!

Posted

Thanks for the replies, your right Izzy, its just more annoying than anything, ahh well, if its here to stay I suppose I'l learn to deal with it, will just mention it to the doc tho, see if he can suggest anything that might help it.

Lay xx

Posted

I can relate with the annoyance of the dizzy spells. I've been taking Lexapro for about 6 weeks now and it seems to come and go with no real warning.

Hopefully your doc will have some good advice!

Posted

I

Posted

Hi,

Yes - I have experienced the dizzy spells as well. It lists that as a side effect so I try not to worry about it :)... but know you are not alone!

Posted

Oh i'm glad i found this, i'm getting mega dizzy spells, i have to hang on to hubby when i'm out, i wasn't sure if it was the anxiety though :hearts:

Torch xxx

Posted

UGH I am so tired of the dizzyness! I have been on antidepressants most of my life. I started taking Celexa about a year ago. and Weaned myself off about a month ago! And the one thing i noticed more than anything is the dizzyness! How annoying is that?! Esp. when you are trying to work. the dizzyness then causes headaches. I ask the doctor and all they can tell me is that.. hopefully it won't las tmuch longer! This is so frustrating. I just want to feel normal again!