Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Dizzy Spells On Citalopram

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 leila24

leila24

ID: 13901

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:47 AM

Hi,
Just a quicky to ask if anyone on Citalopram is getting dizzy spells.
I have been taking them for nearly 6 weeks and it only happens now and again, but when I do get dizzy its reallyyyy dizzy for a few seconds like im almost gonna fall over, its bearable and as I said only happens now and again, just wondered how many other members got this.
Thanks,

Leila xx
"Stop thinking, start living! Each and every moment of our lives, we have a choice....to be lost in thought, or fully engaged in life"~ John Selby.

"It's just a ride"~ Bill Hicks

#2 kstours

kstours

ID: 11374

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 11:14 PM

Hi, Leila. The only time I got dizzy spells like you describe when on Lexapro was when I was reducing the dosage (withdrawal symptom). Have you changed your dosage lately, or the time you take the pills? Are you taking any other meds that might be interacting and increasing the effect of Cita for you, like Benadryl or anything? We all react differently to ADs so my suspicion is that it's a start-up side effect that will go away, but you might ask your doctor about it next time you see him/her.
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

"It ain't never no use puttin' up your umbrell' till it rains!"
-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#3 leila24

leila24

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 06:48 AM

Thanks Kim,
I havn't changed my dosage and Im not on anything else, but now that I think about it I had a virus all over christmas and blood test a few weeks ago showed it is still in my blood. During this my glands in my throat came up alot and my ears were effected and I was at the time very dizzy, I wonder if this mixed with the meds is causing it to last a little bit longer than the initial start up effects.
Thankyou for the reply :hearts:

Leila xx
"Stop thinking, start living! Each and every moment of our lives, we have a choice....to be lost in thought, or fully engaged in life"~ John Selby.

#4 cindyann

cindyann

ID: 13905

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:38 AM

Hi Leila.. Well I'm prob not much help as I've only been on citalopram for 11 days but haven't had any dizziness. Just headache the first 5 days (now gone...yippeeeeeee :hearts: ) and a little tiredness but not bad at all. Anxiety levels have been outrageous though.

Have you checked your blood pressure? We've got a b.p. monitor here at the house and sometimes my pressure drops low and I get dizzy but it's unrelated to citalopram (has happened for years for me). Just a thought.

I'm keeping up with your posts as you're ahead of me by a month I think (on the citalopram) and hoping it gives me some insight to how things might go on this med. I know we're all different in reactions, but reading other's experiences sure helps, huh? Anyway, hoping you feel better soon and am sending warm (((((((((HUGS)))))))))) your way :bump:
CindyAnn

"I love the light because it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars."
- Og Mandino

“Sometimes one has simply to endure a period of depression for what it may hold of illumination, if one can live through it ... attentive to what it exposes or demands.”
- May Sarton

#5 leila24

leila24

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 09:20 AM

Hi Leila.. Well I'm prob not much help as I've only been on citalopram for 11 days but haven't had any dizziness. Just headache the first 5 days (now gone...yippeeeeeee :hearts: ) and a little tiredness but not bad at all. Anxiety levels have been outrageous though.

Have you checked your blood pressure? We've got a b.p. monitor here at the house and sometimes my pressure drops low and I get dizzy but it's unrelated to citalopram (has happened for years for me). Just a thought.

I'm keeping up with your posts as you're ahead of me by a month I think (on the citalopram) and hoping it gives me some insight to how things might go on this med. I know we're all different in reactions, but reading other's experiences sure helps, huh? Anyway, hoping you feel better soon and am sending warm (((((((((HUGS)))))))))) your way :shocked:

Hiya Cindy, really glad your headaches are subsiding, see that is something I didnt get as a start up effect, as you say we are all different, anxiety goes through to roof for the first week or so dosnt it...a big pain in the bum, but this does go away :bump: , its funny you say about blood pressure, I went into the doctors once before starting meds, she took my blood pressure and asked me if I was anxious at present, I said a little, why? and she proceeded to tell me by bp was low, talked to me and calmed me down, then took it again and it was normal, weird or what.
Reading other peoples experiences I find helps so much, even though we arn't all the same, it helps you to know that anything unpleasant your feeling is nothing but the anxiety and that it will get better soon, it gives you inspiration to carry on and know that you will feel much better if you try and see it through.
Massive warm hugs back at ya :shocked:

#6 leila24

leila24

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:13 PM

AAAARRRGGGHH! WITH THE DIZZY SPELLS!
So for a while now the dizzyness was a distant memeory, now today out of the blue (not sure if tiredness makes the dizzyness on meds worse as today I was struggling to keep my eyes open,too many late nights)
Drives me nuts, I could be just sat there at work (yes, back at work, can ya believe it :)) minding my own business, sat still and all, then i'l just get major dizzyness for a few seconds, this happened when I first went on the meds, but why now, its been a while.

Leila xx

#7 kstours

kstours

ID: 11374

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

Poor Leila! Is your ear infection all cleared up? No missed doses, I assume? I can't explain why you would be getting dizzy spells again after having not had them for a while. I think you should definitely mention it to your doctor as it's possible it's something totally unrelated to the ADs. Wish I could explain it for you!
:hearts:
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

"It ain't never no use puttin' up your umbrell' till it rains!"
-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#8 Izzy85

Izzy85

Silver Member

ID: 9658

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

Hey leila if this can help you, I've started getting the dizzy spells about 5 months after I started taking Lexapro. But I've been getting them here and there ever since. I try to not worry about them, if not I go crazy. But yeah I'm still on the same dosage, 10 mg a day, never missed a day. So I guess you shouldn't worry about it, it must be just a side effect...a really annoying one!

#9 leila24

leila24

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the replies, your right Izzy, its just more annoying than anything, ahh well, if its here to stay I suppose I'l learn to deal with it, will just mention it to the doc tho, see if he can suggest anything that might help it.

Lay xx

#10 madscientist

madscientist

ID: 15465

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:00 PM

I can relate with the annoyance of the dizzy spells. I've been taking Lexapro for about 6 weeks now and it seems to come and go with no real warning.

Hopefully your doc will have some good advice!

#11 j1973

j1973

Just Registered

ID: 26093

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

I’ve been on Citalopram for 7 weeks and have been pretty pleased with the results... it has only been within the last few days that I have had much in the way of dizziness but it has been freaking me out! Standing up throughout the day, sitting up first thing in the morning, even just turning my head makes me feel like I'm going to pass out - then I stabilize after a few seconds of significant dizziness.

Like leila24 I have speculated that a lack of sleep makes this worse… as that’s the only thing that has changed for me this week. Dosage and time of pill has been the same. I have also read that alcohol may increase dizziness when on citalopram so I'm avoiding that (at least for now).

#12 rover

rover

ID: 25732

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:41 PM

Hi,

Yes - I have experienced the dizzy spells as well. It lists that as a side effect so I try not to worry about it :)... but know you are not alone!

#13 Torchwood

Torchwood

Silver Member

ID: 13213

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

Oh i'm glad i found this, i'm getting mega dizzy spells, i have to hang on to hubby when i'm out, i wasn't sure if it was the anxiety though :hearts:

Torch xxx
Clare

I dont know whats right or whats real anymore, i dont know how i'm meant to feel anymore - Lily Allen

Insanity Is Hereditary - You Get It From Your Kids!

Current DX Borderline and Avoidant PD'S mixed and Bipolar II
Meds - Seroquel and Escitalopram

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 scampbell

scampbell

Just Registered

ID: 81647

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

UGH I am so tired of the dizzyness! I have been on antidepressants most of my life. I started taking Celexa about a year ago. and Weaned myself off about a month ago! And the one thing i noticed more than anything is the dizzyness! How annoying is that?! Esp. when you are trying to work. the dizzyness then causes headaches. I ask the doctor and all they can tell me is that.. hopefully it won't las tmuch longer! This is so frustrating. I just want to feel normal again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users