Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Mirtazapine And Weight Gain

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 undertheblackclouds

undertheblackclouds

ID: 9412

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:39 PM

Hi there I have been on Mirtazapine for 11 days now and it has dramatically improved my mood. However before I had this period of depression, I was successfully doing Weight Watchers and had lost 7 lbs. Since I have been on Mirtazapine, I have put on the 7 lbs I lost. Now I have eaten a small amount of junk food, however not enough to justify such a dramatic weight gain and I was wonderin if this is going to stop as it will only bring back my depression. However I am scared to change it incase my depression takes over again? Any ideas or experiences?
No house is a home without a rabbit!

#2 Autumn

Autumn

ID: 1841

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:21 AM

Hi Undertheblackclouds,

Weight gain is a common side effect of Remeron. When I was on it, I only gained a small amount of weight (about 10lbs - but I had lost a lot of weight and needed the extra pounds - so I guess it's all relative). Then my weight was pretty stable.
I'm glad you experience an huge improvement in your mood! This med really seems to be working for you. I can understand though that the weight gain is hard on you since you did your very best to lose those pounds.
I'd say, try to eat as healthy as possible and get some exercise if you can. I hope this helps you to keep your weight balanced. If it keeps on causing you concern, discuss it with your doc.
Good luck to you! Keep us posted!

(what dosage are you on?)

Take care,
Autumn

#3 undertheblackclouds

undertheblackclouds

ID: 9412

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:44 AM

Hi Autumn, thanks for the reply. I was on 15mg for the first week and was then told to up it to 30mg. I am following Weight Watchers again now and I was wondering if the people who had gained weight on it had given into the extra hunger pangs and filled the feeling with food junk food? I don't know what to do. :hearts:
No house is a home without a rabbit!

#4 nell1965

nell1965

ID: 14192

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:51 AM

Hi Autumn, thanks for the reply. I was on 15mg for the first week and was then told to up it to 30mg. I am following Weight Watchers again now and I was wondering if the people who had gained weight on it had given into the extra hunger pangs and filled the feeling with food junk food? I don't know what to do. :hearts:

Hi
I have been on zispin for 13 months now and i have just began to reduce my dose. In all honesty i gained weight on it whether i ate the junk food or not. I went for a short break with my mother and aunts and we all ate the same food in fact i probably ate slightly less and when we all went back that week to weight watchers they all had put on between 1 and 2 pounds..... not me i had put on 5. In total i have gained around 30 odd pounds since starting it and my weight was normal back then. That said however , i do not for one moment regret having taken it as it did save my life and i have now been fully recovered for over 8 months now. There is no price on your mental health,i think its better to get well then to deal with the weight issues. Good luck
Nell

#5 MissLew

MissLew

ID: 9270

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 01:32 PM

Hi there

I too was on Mirtazaphine for 6 weeks in those 6 weeks i gained a total of 30 pounds i went up two dress sizes and my appetite was no different
Thankfully I am now off them after the doctor realised they were not working for me and i am taking sertraline - and the weight has dropped off me 6 pound in two weeks.

God luck
Dont just accept what you are given - fight for what you want.

#6 rubyice

rubyice

ID: 14488

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 04:46 PM

This is the one thing that is scaring me starting this, weight gain, I need to lose not gain!

#7 thestickman

thestickman

ID: 14705

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:18 AM

This is the one thing that is scaring me starting this, weight gain, I need to lose not gain!

Same here

#8 tomac00

tomac00

ID: 13148

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:57 AM

Same here

I have experienced weight gain over the last several months (30mg dose) but the benefit of the Remeron has far out weighed ( sorry; no pun intended) the weight gain. I don't like it but w/ some lifestyle changes and more exercise I should be able to deal with the weight issues.

The Remeron has brought my anxiety/depression (adjustment disorder) to a manageable level to allow me back to a fairly normal routine. Any anxiety / depression peaks, while still painful and scary, don't last very long and I can get them under control (which I couldn't do before).
"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work"
Mark Twain 1835-1910

"Strength - never give up; reach within yourself"Posted Image

"The only weakness you have is your self esteem. I wish you could see yourself as the rest of the world sees you "

#9 thestickman

thestickman

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

I have experienced weight gain over the last several months (30mg dose) but the benefit of the Remeron has far out weighed ( sorry; no pun intended) the weight gain. I don't like it but w/ some lifestyle changes and more exercise I should be able to deal with the weight issues.

The Remeron has brought my anxiety/depression (adjustment disorder) to a manageable level to allow me back to a fairly normal routine. Any anxiety / depression peaks, while still painful and scary, don't last very long and I can get them under control (which I couldn't do before).

Glad its working for you. I am sleeping better (reason I started taking it) thankfully. Hard to shake off the drowsiness during the day. Prozac makes me sleepy also so between the 2 it's a hard thing to stay awake all day. Been so angry/grouchy last 2 days staying awake has been easier but not a lot of fun.

#10 thestickman

thestickman

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:34 AM

Happy to report weight is down to *** from 2 days ago when it was ***. I didn't do anything fancy, just no more ceral after dinner. I am hungrier now than before the meds, but I was 25lbs overweight when I started taking the meds. While I dang sure didn't bring on a depressive episode so I could lose some weight (would rather play in dirty cat litter) losing weight now is a side benefit to all this, I suppose.

Feeling a bit better today. Had to take an ativan earlier to calm down as I had an anxious/agry spell. Just looking forward to being well again.

Edited by Autumn, 22 March 2007 - 05:07 PM.
edited weights to not trigger members with weight related issues

#11 ok-noggen

ok-noggen

ID: 16502

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:23 AM

Remeron was just one of the many ADs I've tried in 18 months. I started it in July '06 and within 4 months had packed on 20 pounds despite working out regularly and eating wholesome foods. Not only that, but it made me as lethargic as hell. I quit taking it in November and that very nearly killed me. Or perhaps less dramatic, it was the closest I've ever come to seriously committing suicide.
Hope this helps anyone, someone.
:hearts:

#12 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

ID: 16232

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:19 AM

To all above, esp. undertheblackclouds...

Me too, started with the weight gain (25 lbs in 5 weeks!), then it leveled out for about three weeks, and then the past two weeks I've lost 10 pounds. I did increase the distance that I walk and swim but I was going to do that anyways. I now swim 30 minutes in the morning and walk 30 minutes about a half hour after I eat dinner. I still have to eat something before I go to bed though, the hunger doesn't let me get to sleep. This is my 'terminal velocity', I think.

I also have friends that gained weight and lost it after a time, without changing their activities. And I have friends like some of the above, they were too skinny due to their depression/anxiety, that the weight gain was welcome. I, too, have friends (as above) that the affect on their MH issues (positive) far outweighed their concerns about their weight (figured the trade off was more than worth it.)

So time will only tell for you, but give it a chance, sounds like the mirt. is working for you, and ain't that a relief, it sure was for me.

BE Peace and BE Love..... wayne

Dear ok-noggen, Post #11...."Remeron was just one of the many ADs I've tried in 18 months. I started it in July '06 and within 4 months had packed on 20 pounds despite working out regularly and eating wholesome foods. Not only that, but it made me as lethargic as hell. I quit taking it in November and that very nearly killed me. Or perhaps less dramatic, it was the closest I've ever come to seriously committing suicide.
Hope this helps anyone, someone."

Isn't it important to taper slowly? I'll say. Most of the pDoc I have talked to suggest that you taper at 1-2 times the amount of time that it takes to load. The funny thing is most Dox use half-lifes t determine in their minds how fast you can taper, if at all. But the reality is, the blood-brain barrier inhibits the passage of chemicals into and out of the CSF (cerebral spinal fluid)/blood interface. So even when the chemical is out of your blood stream, the concentration in your brain is still much higher. That is why they take a while to work, as opposed to something like lorazapam or alcohol (which pass freely in either direction), and also why they need to be tapered. That, plus the fact that the neurotransmitters they effect don't do their jobs as affectively, and without their helpers, they dysfunction badly.

This is the same process that opiate addicts face with withdrawal. When one takes opiates, the body stops making our natural opioid compounds, like endorphins, and so when the body stops getting its exogenous opioid, it hurts. And it hurt until the body starts making an adequate amount of endorphins.... yours, w.

Edited by lambvet, 29 May 2007 - 04:36 AM.

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#13 Autumn

Autumn

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 08:15 AM

Isn't it important to taper slowly? I'll say. Most of the pDoc I have talked to suggest that you taper at 1-2 times the amount of time that it takes to load. The funny thing is most Dox use half-lifes t determine in their minds how fast you can taper, if at all. But the reality is, the blood-brain barrier inhibits the passage of chemicals into and out of the CSF (cerebral spinal fluid)/blood interface. So even when the chemical is out of your blood stream, the concentration in your brain is still much higher. That is why they take a while to work, as opposed to something like lorazapam or alcohol (which pass freely in either direction), and also why they need to be tapered. That, plus the fact that the neurotransmitters they effect don't do their jobs as affectively, and without their helpers, they dysfunction badly.

This is the same process that opiate addicts face with withdrawal. When one takes opiates, the body stops making our natural opioid compounds, like endorphins, and so when the body stops getting its exogenous opioid, it hurts. And it hurt until the body starts making an adequate amount of endorphins.... yours, w.

That was interesting. Thanks for sharing Lambvet.

Autumn

#14 betsie

betsie

ID: 16673

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:04 PM

I'm yet another of the "gained weight on mirtazapine" crew. Within a week of starting it, my appetite went through the roof, I'm pretty much constantly hungry, and in total I've gained about 30lbs. I wouldn't mind (well, I do really), but it hasn't helped at all with my mood, so I'm now moving on to Escitalopram. Hopefully the weight will at least partially disappear with the medication...

#15 Autumn

Autumn

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 05:02 AM

Betsie,

I hope the other med helps you more moodwise!

:hearts: to Depression Forums!

Take care,
Autumn

#16 betsie

betsie

ID: 16673

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Autumn

#17 Waft

Waft

ID: 17073

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:39 PM

During the first few weeks on Mirtazapine I was constantly hungry and tired, and, resultantly, put on a fair amount of weight. This was quite distressing, as I have always been very slim, however, as the dose increased these effects have subsided enormously and the weight has fallen off again rather quickly.

Please understand, I never had a secret chart
to get me to the heart of this
or any other matter

#18 Autumn

Autumn

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:02 AM

During the first few weeks on Mirtazapine I was constantly hungry and tired, and, resultantly, put on a fair amount of weight. This was quite distressing, as I have always been very slim, however, as the dose increased these effects have subsided enormously and the weight has fallen off again rather quickly.

Waft,

It seems like some people experience fewer side-effects on a higher dosage, indeed. I felt more tired during the day when I was on 15mg than when I was on 30mg. I'm glad your tiredness and hunger have subsided!

Take care,
Autumn

#19 Autumn

Autumn

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:08 AM

I think you only gain weight if you decide to, I've been on mirtazapine for four months and gained no weight, maybe even lost some. If you have a better appetite this is a good thing, just eat healthily and exercise three times a week, perhaps swimming, and you'll be fine!

I guess it's different for everyone. I only gained a small amount of weight while on Remeron. Because of the better appetite. No problem since I was starting to get a little underweight anyway.
But it seems like some people do gain a lot of weight despite healthy diets and regular exercise.

Autumn

#20 hello_world

hello_world

ID: 17317

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

Oh boy, I definitely gained weight despite the fact that I exercise A LOT. Swimming at least 6 hours a week...I exercised my normal amount as usual, yet gained 15 pounds. My appetite has always been huge, so it's not like I ate too much more than the normal amount I eat. It's definitely the Remeron.

#21 s1lm

s1lm

ID: 17292

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

Oh boy, I definitely gained weight despite the fact that I exercise A LOT. Swimming at least 6 hours a week...I exercised my normal amount as usual, yet gained 15 pounds. My appetite has always been huge, so it's not like I ate too much more than the normal amount I eat. It's definitely the Remeron.

It's not a problem for me. Why not just go AD-free and try something like St. John's Wort?

#22 hello_world

hello_world

ID: 17317

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:11 PM

It's not a problem for me. Why not just go AD-free and try something like St. John's Wort?

hmm well I am actually going to be stopping Remeron soon! I hope the weight will come off quickly after that, but I'm not so sure.
Does anyone have any info about losing weight after going off Remeron?

#23 blueskies01

blueskies01

ID: 17005

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:32 AM

I was so thinking the same thing!! I would rather be depressed then ever gain anymore weight! :hearts:

Isn't there some kind of an alternative
"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure"

#24 Autumn

Autumn

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:33 AM

I would rather be depressed then ever gain anymore weight! :bump:

Weight gain really seems to be a problem for you. Some don't mind if they really do feel better. But the benefits don't seem to outweigh the side-effects you're experiencing.
Did you discuss this with your doctor? Perhpas he/she can help you find a suitable alternative?

Keep us posted!

Autumn :hearts:

#25 blueskies01

blueskies01

ID: 17005

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:22 AM

I would rather be depressed then ever gain anymore weight! :bump:

Weight gain really seems to be a problem for you. Some don't mind if they really do feel better. But the benefits don't seem to outweigh the side-effects you're experiencing.
Did you discuss this with your doctor? Perhpas he/she can help you find a suitable alternative?

Keep us posted!

I haven't started on any meds yet, but my doc had mentioned to me last week that he was going to prescribe me some. I see him again on Tuesday, so let's what medication it will be. I'm already dealing with a weight issue, I'm afraid now after reading up on all these side effects.. I dont want to gain anymore weight. :shocked:
"I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure"

#26 Autumn

Autumn

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

Blueskies01,

I understand your concerns...
Although it is a common side-effect, starting on Remeron doesn't necessarily mean you'll gain weight though. Finding a right AD is pretty much a trial and error process, unfortunately.
You could give it a try and see where it takes you?
Do share your worries with your doctor so he/she can give you enough information or look into an alternative if necessary.

Let us know how you get on!

Take care,

#27 oozle

oozle

ID: 17483

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:39 AM

This may sound a bit harsch... But...

Gaining weight isn't really space research. Yes, Remeron might put some pounds water in your body, but this will come off as soon as you stop it. And yes, there are reports that Remeron does lower your metabolism a little bit, most likely because you feel calmer, and sleep better. It all makes sense.

But, other than that, what controls the weight that you have is the amount of calories you consume, minus the amount of calories you use up during the day, working, excercise, whatever it is you are doing. It's just simple and logic mathematics. A car doesn't go anywhere without fuel, and the amount of fuel you put in is also the amount of miles you can go with the car. Same goes with weight gain, there is NO way what-so-ever a person can gain weight without consuming more calories than they use up. I wouldnt worry too much about gaining weight with remeron, as weight gain will be as easy to control with or without using Remeron, your appetite might be harder to control as some experience higher appetite - But, if you know you can control your appetite without Remeron, there is no need to worry about gaining weight with remeron, the same formula will work, control you appetite, and if your amount of consumed calories per day, minus the amount of used calories per day equals zero, you will not gain any weight.

/O

#28 CrazyPlace

CrazyPlace

Just Registered

ID: 17952

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

This may sound a bit harsch... But...

Gaining weight isn't really space research. Yes, Remeron might put some pounds water in your body, but this will come off as soon as you stop it. And yes, there are reports that Remeron does lower your metabolism a little bit, most likely because you feel calmer, and sleep better. It all makes sense.

But, other than that, what controls the weight that you have is the amount of calories you consume, minus the amount of calories you use up during the day, working, excercise, whatever it is you are doing. It's just simple and logic mathematics. A car doesn't go anywhere without fuel, and the amount of fuel you put in is also the amount of miles you can go with the car. Same goes with weight gain, there is NO way what-so-ever a person can gain weight without consuming more calories than they use up. I wouldnt worry too much about gaining weight with remeron, as weight gain will be as easy to control with or without using Remeron, your appetite might be harder to control as some experience higher appetite - But, if you know you can control your appetite without Remeron, there is no need to worry about gaining weight with remeron, the same formula will work, control you appetite, and if your amount of consumed calories per day, minus the amount of used calories per day equals zero, you will not gain any weight.

/O

Hi! This is my first post (and first real attempt to ask my own questions) I have always been the "guest" reading what others have gone through - and comparing it to me....trying to save myself - I suppose. I am a normal person - I hold a super job - I have been here 10+ years. I have a wonderful family, spouse, children, home, etc....but have been fighting depression - not sure if it has been there all along or if I have masked it by taking pain medication. I suffer from chronic back pain - and went through everything under the sun. Anyhow - I am now off the pain meds and am taking Cymbalta and Remeron. I take 60mg of Cymbalta every mornign and currently only 15mg of Remeron. I also take 50mg 2 times of Lyrica and 200mg twice a day of Celebrex. The Lyrica and Celebrex are to help with the pain.
I guess I could say that the pain caused the depression....but I dont know. My father committed suicide - and he was a good guy who had it all.... a successful business owner, money, home, family, friends...yet one bad moment told him to take his life. Myself - I tried once

Anyhow - upon meeting with the pysch doc at hospital - he added the remeron to my list of meds. My psych only had me on the cymbalta and xanax and ambien. Its only been alittle over a week on the remeron but I have noticed that I eat like crazy. I am relatively thin...always have been. I dont know if I could handle gaining weight. When I see myself eating 4 honey buns in a row - I know something is up! I thought the cymbalta was suppose to help - but I still seem to crave things. And never have a full feeling. I think the p.doc thought it couldnt hurt to gain a few pounds but I really will have to watch my calories like mentioned above. I just hope I can do that.

Thanks for listening - I am looking forward to replys - and the meeting of new people - with similar issues. I can only hope that we can benefit from one another.

CrazyPlace :-)

Edited by SarahN, 31 July 2007 - 01:33 PM.
deleted possible triggers

#29 Autumn

Autumn

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:26 AM

CrazyPlace,

A very warm :hearts: to you! Thanks for joining us in the Remeron room!

I was sorry to read about your struggle with depression and pain. And I'm sorry for your loss. It must be very hard on you to have lost your father :bump:

You mention the food craving now that you're on 15mg of Remeron. As you may have noticed, you're not alone!
I personally didn't have a problem with it while on this med. I think I can only say: try to eat as healthy and regularly as possible and exercise. I think it helps for most people. There's no use in cutting down on your food intake 'cause that's when your body starts to burn less.

Keep us posted! I hope you feel comfortable around here!

See you around,
Take care,
Autumn :shocked:

#30 SexyBack1977

SexyBack1977

ID: 18816

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:02 PM

i went from 145lbs up to 190lbs after 2 years of remeron!

#31 chinkes

chinkes

Advanced Member

ID: 10741

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:24 PM

I also have a love-hate relationship with Remeron. I think it is a great AD, helps with anxiety and panic disorder, depression, insomnia and brightens mood. The downside is the mega appetite. I've always had self-control as to what I put in my mouth, but this med has put me to the ultimate test. I've been on it for 9 mos and have kept my gain to 10 pounds with a LOT of effort and exercise. I complain about the appetite and sometimes can fight it, other times can't. I'm certainly not ready to give up my remeron at this point. It is also a blessing to be sedated at night as I sleep soooo much better than any time in my life that I can remember. Cheryl

#32 psychocandy

psychocandy

ID: 18703

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:03 AM

Remeron was just one of the many ADs I've tried in 18 months. I started it in July '06 and within 4 months had packed on 20 pounds despite working out regularly and eating wholesome foods. Not only that, but it made me as lethargic as hell. I quit taking it in November and that very nearly killed me. Or perhaps less dramatic, it was the closest I've ever come to seriously committing suicide.
Hope this helps anyone, someone.
:hearts:

Just wondered...

Does Remeron make you gain weight because you eat more (increased appetite)?

Or is it something else like affecting your metabolism? (i.e. you gain weight even if you eat the same)
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

#33 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• 8,655 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:30 PM

Just wondered...
Or is it something else like affecting your metabolism? (i.e. you gain weight even if you eat the same)

I think it is two fold as in both. I had a similar reaction when I took trazadone as an AD as opposed to a sleep aid.

So, I when I took mirt. I had a crazy munchies (way worse than illegal drug) until I reached 45 mg. and then the munchies stopped. Exercise helped me lose the weight I had gained. However, I think that there is a certain amount of slowing of the bowel peristalsis allowing the gut to absorb more of the nutrients (read calories, lol) but I think that traz. is better at this since a SE is constipation.

Peace and Love... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

#34 psychocandy

psychocandy

ID: 18703

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:37 AM

Just wondered...

I think it is two fold as in both. I had a similar reaction when I took trazadone as an AD as opposed to a sleep aid.

So, I when I took mirt. I had a crazy munchies (way worse than illegal drug) until I reached 45 mg. and then the munchies stopped. Exercise helped me lose the weight I had gained. However, I think that there is a certain amount of slowing of the bowel peristalsis allowing the gut to absorb more of the nutrients (read calories, lol) but I think that traz. is better at this since a SE is constipation.

Peace and Love... wayne

Wayne,

Another good reason to possibly increase my dose...

BTW. Seeing my doc tomorrow am.
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

#35 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• 8,655 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:38 AM

Just wondered...

Peace and Love... wayne

Wayne,

Another good reason to possibly increase my dose...

BTW. Seeing my doc tomorrow am.

I hope that works out for you as well as it did me, but now you will have to work the rest off.

Peace and Love.... wayne

#36 Gemms

Gemms

Just Registered

ID: 7014

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:41 AM

I was on Zispin for over 3 years and during that time put on over 2 stone (28lbs).

I didnt feel that I was eating any more than normal but the weight just seemed to keep piling on. Have to say that I was getting virtually no exercise so that would not have helped.

Its been 6 weeks now since I took my last soltab and already I have lost 16lbs. Still eating the same as normal but exercising a couple of times a week as well. Still need to loose about 20lbs more but thats a work in progress.

Definately light at the end of the tunnel :hearts:

#37 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• 8,655 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:45 PM

I was on Zispin for over 3 years and during that time put on over 2 stone (28lbs).

I didnt feel that I was eating any more than normal but the weight just seemed to keep piling on. Have to say that I was getting virtually no exercise so that would not have helped.

Its been 6 weeks now since I took my last soltab and already I have lost 16lbs. Still eating the same as normal but exercising a couple of times a week as well. Still need to loose about 20lbs more but thats a work in progress.

Definately light at the end of the tunnel :bump:

Congrats Gemms,

Yep, a bit of exercise even worked for me as I still take it, but I actually stopped gaining when I went up to 45 mg. per day. But good for you and I hope the next 20 go quickly for you. DO NOT OBSESS!!! :hearts:

Peace and Love... wayne

Sabbat Shalom

#38 chinkes

chinkes

Advanced Member

ID: 10741

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

i went from 145lbs up to 190lbs after 2 years of remeron!

Aaaargh! Have you been able to get any of that extra weight off? Or are you okay with it?

Welcome, by the way. :hearts:

I'm increasing my dosage now, currently at 30 and will increase to 45 to see if anxiety is in check and munchies diminish. I'll still take 22.5mgs at night since that is what I use for sleep; the rest I'll take in the a.m. I'm also on WB150 which doesn't have any affect on my appetite. I'm weaning off Lexapro (substituting mirtazapine for the anxiety relief). What dosage of Remeron are you on?

Cheryl

#39 lizziebusy

lizziebusy

Just Registered

ID: 23119

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hi there I have been on Mirtazapine for 11 days now and it has dramatically improved my mood. However before I had this period of depression, I was successfully doing Weight Watchers and had lost 7 lbs. Since I have been on Mirtazapine, I have put on the 7 lbs I lost. Now I have eaten a small amount of junk food, however not enough to justify such a dramatic weight gain and I was wonderin if this is going to stop as it will only bring back my depression. However I am scared to change it incase my depression takes over again? Any ideas or experiences?

Hey, I'm 18 years old, nearly 19 and I have been on the anti depressant Mirtazapine for 10 months and I was diagnosed with severe depression. It was triggered of by my underactve thyroid becoming increasingly too low. I am now fully recovered and have only just started to decrease my dosage. I am on 45mg at the moment and today having it changed to 30mg. I was a healthy 7 and half stone before my illness and now am 9 stone. I want to go back down to 8 and half/ 8 stone. I am a size 8-10 now. I wanted to know if you lose weight once you have come off the medication entirely? thanks for your help

#40 dtm

dtm

Platinum Member

ID: 22765

• Platinum Member
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:18 AM

I lasted on Mirtazapine for just under three weeks. In that time I managed to gain eight pounds. Switched to Effexor this week. Looks more promising on the weight score. Side effects much more unpleasant than Mirtazapine though. There's always some kind of trade off.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users