Trichotillomania

128 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

I've had trichotillomania for decades.

Rainahblue likes this

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I was sitting here pulling a little on my hair when I posted it.

Posted

Hi there,

I just read your post and wanted to reply.  I am a hypnotherapist in San diego, and have worked with a number of folks with trichotillomania who found success.  As you may know, pulling the hair is a habit, usually brought about to deal with a disturbing emotion, just like a smoker who lights up when stressed.  The reason that hypnosis has been so successful is that it targets working with the subconscious mind, where most patterns and habits are stored.   I would consider looking up a hypnotist in your area and discuss your options.  Also, here is a web site that may be of interest - http://www.trichotillomania.co.uk/

Best of luck!

Posted

I know this is kindof an old thread, but i figured i'd post a reply.  i, too have trichotillomania.  I pluck everything below my scalp really badly, and i pluck my scalp some.  The only thing thats REALLY safe are my eyebrows, for some reason, but the two worst areas for me are my eyelashes and my pubic hair...ive learned that if i keep everything below my armpits shaved, i have less instinct to pull it.  I guess its the old "if its not there, you cant hurt it" thing.  I also have several other impulse control issues, so i guess its all related..

Good luck!

Tankie :santagrin:

Posted

:hearts: Tankie!  Just join in where ever you feel comfrotable.  There's lots of support throughout DF, whether in recent threads or historical ones.  

:wave:

Posted

I have had "trich" most of my life.  I am a 46 year old male.  I looked like I had male pattern baldness.  I would tie knots in my hair and play with the knots for hours, then pull out the hair trying to get the knot out.  I finally resorted to shaving my head.  You can imagine the looks and comments I get.

Posted

Posted

I didn't think that trichotiloimania was an OCD thing. I've always pulled and twisted by hair. I keep it long otherwise I'd go crazy not being able to sit and twirl and pull at it. I also pull out my hair, search endlessly for split ends and snap the ends of my hair. My floor at home is usually covered in loose hair.

I have 3 sessions of group therapy a week and I'm sure there's piles of hair around my chair.

In fact I twist and pull at the hair so much that my arm and shoulder hurts.

Rainahblue likes this

Posted

I used to suck the ends of my hair: when I wasn't looking for split ends. Now it is short I can't so the habit has gone away. I scratch my scalp a lot when reading though :hearts:

Posted

I have been pulling my hair for four years now. It started out as just pubic hair than it went to pulling at the hair on my head, the pubic hair pulling became worse and caused sores. I haven't been able to tell anyone, I feel too ashamed about it and I keep thinking I will be able to stop it, but I can't. I will pull when I am upset and thats when I pull the hardest and I will go into a kind of trance and just keep pulling at my hair. Now I have started to run my fingernails along my hair to cause split ends and pull endlessly at all the split ends. I also bit my nails and pick at my skin is that connected to the hair pulling?

Posted

I think its all caused by the same problem, maybe anxiety.

I too do the pubic hair bit, but its been ok for a while now.

Eileen

Posted

Hi there <WAVE>

"I feel too ashamed about it ...... " you are what you are: for many reasons. Anxiety comes out in many different ways. I make a list when my compulsions get too obvious - and try to do something else!

What stressors you most?

Posted

Lately I have been picking at my spilt end to stop myself from pulling my hair out. That helped a little but I am still pulling. I avoided getting my hair cut because I didn't want anyone to see the back of my head, it has a ton of short hairs from where I pulled my hair it kinda feels like it was shaved when I touch it. I'm getting my hair done for prom and I am even more nervous about that because it is a friend from church doing it and I don't want her to notice. I explained the short hairs to my hair dresser as being from picking at some spilt ends that I got once my hair got too long, but I don't know if she will believe this story or not.

Posted

A qualified hairdresser will be familiar with the traits of obsessives ;-)

She may even have coping strategies to suggest!

I have lots of little annoying habits which I suppose are OCD in nature or maybe compulsions rather. Like picking my nails, pulling my hair ...... it's what makes me ME! How are you today? What are you wearing for the Prom? [which is short for ......... <scratches head . ;-) ]

Posted

I wore a royal blue dress to prom, it was really fun and my hairdresser didn't question me about my hair. I was doing great earlier today. I did pull at my hair a little today because I got worried that one of my friends might have upset someone and I was feeling a little out of place at the meeting I was at because most of the people were older than me. Tonight became really bad when I found out my best friend's brother was in a really bad accident. He was in a comma and only had a five percent chance to live, but I just found out he is doing better and now has a 30% chance to live, but he is still in a comma. It's hard because my friend lives on the other side of the state so I can't be with her, but I resisted pulling my hair again after I found out.

Posted

I too pull out my hair..and its so stupid beause one of my things is a care so much about others will think of me in particular my hair, but when I am particularly anxious I just start pulling it out and can't stop. Then I worry about what I have done which makes it worse. Its a never ending cycle. I don't know how I got started I have just done it for years. Whats worse I can't even control doing it when my friends are around, so they shout at me and tell me to stop, which makes me even more anxious. Argh why can't I stop

Posted

Welcome new peeps <wave>

My friends used to tell me when I was chewing my nails and fingers but it hasn't made much difference :-). Each time I hurt myself I think I should stop but I continue. Same with searching for chin hairs ;-) or fiddling with my wedding ring. Old habits die hard :-)))

You are not alone. Our habits are what makes us US!

Posted

kinda had a bad night last night, pulled out my hair to the point where my arm was in agony.at least I'm no longer living at home and my mum won't find hair everywhere and shout at me for it. but i still feel really guilty and ashamed afterwards

Posted

I find that just sitting there I pull worse. Like watching TV, being on the computer, driving the car...that sort of thing. Perhaps you could get out and start walking if you find yourself pulling? Anything to give your body something else to do. Hmm...something with your hands maybe...a craft? Like knitting, or crossstitch or something. If you find yourself pulling then you could start working on it. You may always pull when you're stressed, but learning to stop it when you catch yourself doing it is key. A little bit isn't a problem, but when it's a lot it really affects how you feel about yourself. :hearts:

Try not to worry about last night...just focus on things you can do to make tonight a better one! :shocked:

Killi :bump:

Posted

Got my hair cut yesterday in an effort to stop me pulling so much. Hope the hairdresser didn't notice too much. But she didn't say anything even if she did notice. Hopefully my short hair will allow me to calm down a bit.

Posted

Wow woefulshygal83 you sound just like me. I know what you mean about feeling guilty about pulling and then pulling even more because of it. I do the exact same thing and I cut my hair short hoping that would help and worrying if the hairdresser would notice. For me writing in this forum helped a lot because this is one place that you aren't trying to keep this huge secret and you don't feel guilty about talking about when you pulled because there are lots of people just like you who pull as well. My friends don't know about my hair pulling, but I think they suspect, so at least I don't have people yelling at me to stop because your right that wouldn't help at all. If it was me I would just pull even more later when I'm alone because of the guilt. Keep writing in the forum it really does help.

Posted

Yeah exactly thats what usually happens. I have been doing ok. Haven't pulled my hair for a couple of days. Though me being a pessimist I believe its only a matter of time before I start pulling. Its good to know that there are people out there like me struggling with similar situations. Although its different with each person I am glad you can identify with me and I with you. Thanks for your support

Posted

I've been pulling out my eyelashes for a few years now. I went to my Dr about it and he just looked at me like I was weird. :hearts:

Posted

Some people just don't understand it I guess, or he just didn't know what to do or say. I just realized today that I get the urge to pull when there is tension, or people are getting mad/upset and when I feel out of place, I know there are other things that trigger it but I haven't pin pointed those yet. Like the times where I start pulling and kinda go into a trance as I heard it described I guess thats what I do sometimes I stop thinking I don't really see whats infront of me I just start pulling for a long time and once I stop pulling I'm shocked how much time had passed. Does anyone else do the trance thing, I'm not always like that when I pull but sometimes I am. Congrats wuefulshygal83 on not pulling for a couple days, I can't say I've done as well I pulled today I think because of all the tension with my sisters boyfriend being around :hearts: yeah can you tell I don't care for him too much.

Posted

he just looked at me like I was weird ...... "'

all the world is strange - except you and me: and even you're a little bit ........ ;-)))

we can't alter yesterday but we can enjoy parts of today. Don't be ashamed! Drop that ...... it's done, it's over, try not to dwell.

Try to deal with what makes you 'pull'. For me it's habit, it's comforting to pull out the chin hairs or pluck my eyebrows - but I do it with tweezers; consistently checking for more :-)

Each to his/her own. 'I am what I am .......... '