Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Night Time Depression?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 squishy41288

squishy41288

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:12 AM

Im not sure if this goes here or even if its depression but Ill try anyway...

What is it about night that makes me get so depressed? For the past 7ish months it seems like once night comes I begain to feel sad, start crying, thinking about all the bad things in the world, think nothing is worth it, my life is going no where and start to think about all the bad things that have happened in my life. Sometimes I dont even do that I just cry or feel depressed for no reason at all. I mean theres nothing bad going on in my life, its not a great but better then some peoples. Also I had a wonderful childhood with loving and caring parents and was never abused in anyway so this has nothing to do with that. There are some things Ive done in the pass that I do regret and those are the things I tend to think about when Im depressed. But why does this happen only at night? During the day, espically in the morning Im almost normal. Im less moody and easier to get along with. But at night m a totally different person. Is anyone else this way? How did you get out of this phase? I wasnt always like this like I mentioned before. In fact I use to be like any other young person and love the night life. I noticed this change about a year after I became anorexic. I havent had any kind of help for the anorexica and still restrict my food intake most days. Ive been dealing with that for nearly two years now. Could anorexic have something to do with the deprssion at night?

#2 EvinLejonhjarta

EvinLejonhjarta

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:12 AM

What is it about night that makes me get so depressed? For the past 7ish months it seems like once night comes I begain to feel sad, start crying, thinking about all the bad things in the world, think nothing is worth it, my life is going no where and start to think about all the bad things that have happened in my life. Sometimes I dont even do that I just cry or feel depressed for no reason at all. I mean theres nothing bad going on in my life, its not a great but better then some peoples. Also I had a wonderful childhood with loving and caring parents and was never abused in anyway so this has nothing to do with that. There are some things Ive done in the pass that I do regret and those are the things I tend to think about when Im depressed. But why does this happen only at night? During the day, espically in the morning Im almost normal. Im less moody and easier to get along with. But at night m a totally different person. Is anyone else this way? How did you get out of this phase? I wasnt always like this like I mentioned before. In fact I use to be like any other young person and love the night life. I noticed this change about a year after I became anorexic. I havent had any kind of help for the anorexica and still restrict my food intake most days. Ive been dealing with that for nearly two years now. Could anorexic have something to do with the deprssion at night?

I think this is because at night we have more time to think and also slow down, we dont do as much as during the day, when there are things to get done, people around and lots of noise which can sometimes drown the sounds of our own thoughts.
Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.
--- Kahlil Gibran

You have to be strong. Strength of heart will carry you through the hardest of trials.

#3 mike23bris

mike23bris

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:28 AM

Yes this one of the worst times for my depression to hit before I started on meds, I would think about regrets, people I miss, bad things I said to people, money I owe etc etc etc could go on forever.
I really hope you start feeling better (((hugs))), I was given sleeping pills when I saw my doc, but they are only a band-aid - I tried to use these night time feelings in a positive way, to tell me what I need to change in my life, but in the day I felt fine so never did anything to try change but now since I started on ADs I never feel like this at night anymore.
I'm not crazy i'm just a little unwell, I know right now you cant tell
but stay a while and maybe then you'll see, a different side of me :)

No one ever asked for things to be like this - Depression sucks :(
All my love is going to those like me who are going through a difficult
time, Depression can really change you, Im looking forward to the
day this all passes over.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 Guest_SarahN_*

Guest_SarahN_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:23 AM

Hi squishy,

I am sorry you are not doing better by now *sigh*
I agree with what the others have said..........night time gives us more time to think and be less distracted...........so more time to worry :bump:

I know we have talked about this before in the ED room...............please consider getting professional help for your ED, you need it and so deserve to be happy and healthy again.
Please consider talking to someone about your ED, okay?

Take good care of you and keep us posted,

SN :hearts:

#5 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 08:35 AM

It's a well known fact that symptoms of depression usually are worse at night with the thoughts being more negative and our surroundings bothering us more. I know that I'm more sensitive to noise and lights at night and worry more about what I need to do that I don't seem to have motivation or energy to accomplish. Meds would help you with reducing symptoms that are more bothersome at night, believe me!!

Untreated depression can do lots of damage to us with negative thinking. It's not the way to go. Please get to a doc and get some help so you can begin to get out of this funk!

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#6 Guest_tomedcollins_*

Guest_tomedcollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:58 PM

I tend to find things tougher at night as well, so much so that my occupational health department at work recommended I be taken off of late shifts. I'd probably have left had they not done that. I also tend to not go out at night very much, as I often get heavily depressed when in pubs and clubs and end up either sticking the evening out, despite feeling really down and uncomfortable, so as not to offend anyone, or I abruptly go home early and in doing so look rude to other people.

#7 Belle29

Belle29

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:00 PM

I'm the same way, about feeling worse at night. I wake up in the morning and for several hours feel pretty positive about things, almost normal :) but late in the afternoon my mood starts to change and by night time I am severely depressed, lay around dwelling about things etc. For me I think it's because when I get tired like at the end of the day, I'm not doing as many things so it's easier for me to sit around and all the negative thoughts start creeping in. Like you, I tend to think about things in the past. Meds (antiD's) seemed to help me a little bit with this, maybe it would be helpful for you too, to see a doc and give something like that a try. Best wishes for you, Belle xx

#8 Guest_john_v_r_*

Guest_john_v_r_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2007 - 06:20 PM

I think it's simply the darkness of night. When I'm depressed it falls like a great heavy curtain around me. Light and sound and hope are all shut out.

#9 StareDecisis

StareDecisis

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:20 PM

I dont know much about anorexia or its toll it could take on night time depression. I get depressed generally my mornings and nights. I think its cuz i should be sleeping and all i seem to do is think think think about everything in my d*** life that is bad!

#10 yazeffect

yazeffect

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 09:47 PM

(dont know if this has already been said)
I read psychologies magazine, and i read an article about how we may become more prone to thinking worrying thoughts etc at night. as far as i can remember its to do with our autonomic nervious system shutting down late when we sleep... i may chack that and edit this post if incorrect tho...just need to find the article.

#11 coldestheart

coldestheart

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 11:27 AM

Hi Squishy,

I know exactly what you are saying. I have been dealing with untreated depression for two years until last week when i finally went to a councelor at my college.

At night i always cry and think of the things that are wrong with m y life and the things that i wnat more than anything and convince myself that i will never get them.

What helps me (and it might not work for you) i make sure everything in my house and room is put away and neat. My bed is always made before i get into it, my books are put away, the dishes done, everything is perfect. Then i climb into bed and put on some soothing classical music. Nothing with words or songs about love that will make me even more depressed just the instruments. :hearts:

I relax all the muscels in my body each one at a time, i can almost feel the stress leaving me.

Somehting else that might help is not drinking soda or coffee late at night or even eating after a certain time.

- :bump: Heart :shocked: -
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the judgment that something else is more important than fear. -Ambrose Redmoon-

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box -no idea-

If one dream should fall and break into a thousand pieces, never be afraid to pick one of those pieces up and begin again. -flavia Weedn-

#12 OCCDAVE

OCCDAVE

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:57 AM

I think it's simply the darkness of night. When I'm depressed it falls like a great heavy curtain around me. Light and sound and hope are all shut out.

I'm the same way my depression is worse at night then during the day

#13 wanderer122

wanderer122

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:33 PM

I'm going through much of the same thing. For me, a lack of control and a feeling of emptiness set in at night. There are things that I want but don't have, everything from the end of a string of routine errands to the start of a good relationship. At nighttime I finally have the quiet time to think about all this, but since I'm low on energy and it's late in the day, there's little or nothing that I can do about it. I find it extremely hard to accept that I'll go to bed tonight feeling controlled, empty, and lonely, and that I'll have to try again another day. But I think it's important to explicitly accept that change usually doesn't happen this late in the day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users