Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Long Did It Take To Feel Better?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

Poll: How many weeks to be effective? (124 member(s) have cast votes)

How long were you on Lexapro/Celexa before it STARTED helping?

1. 0-2 weeks (42 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. 2-4 weeks (30 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

3. 4-6 weeks (32 votes [25.40%])

Percentage of vote: 25.40%

4. 6-8 weeks (8 votes [6.35%])

Percentage of vote: 6.35%

5. more than 8 weeks (6 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

6. never did (8 votes [6.35%])

Percentage of vote: 6.35%

How long were you on Lexapro/Celexa before the benefits plateaued?

1. 0-2 weeks (10 votes [7.94%])

Percentage of vote: 7.94%

2. 2-4 weeks (14 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. 4-6 weeks (28 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. 6-8 weeks (28 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

5. more than 8 weeks (46 votes [36.51%])

Percentage of vote: 36.51%

What dose are you on now?

1. 10 mg (40 votes [32.26%])

Percentage of vote: 32.26%

2. 20 mg (59 votes [47.58%])

Percentage of vote: 47.58%

3. 30 mg (7 votes [5.65%])

Percentage of vote: 5.65%

4. 40 mg (15 votes [12.10%])

Percentage of vote: 12.10%

5. more than 40 mg (3 votes [2.42%])

Percentage of vote: 2.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 kstours

kstours

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:02 PM

Hi, all. I've been on Lexapro (this time) for about 11 weeks now, starting out at 10 mg and going up to 20 mg. I found that I started feeling better after about 3 weeks, and the benefits seemed to plateau at about 8 weeks. Everyone new to ADs always wants to know "how long it will take" to feel better, and I know it's different for everyone. Just wondering if there is any experience that is more common than others.
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

"It ain't never no use puttin' up your umbrell' till it rains!"
-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#2 Penguin

Penguin

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 12:24 AM

Kim,

How do you know when it's working?

- Penguin
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 kstours

kstours

• Platinum Member
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 10:20 AM

Good question, Penguin! For me it was waking up and not suddenly getting this sinking feeling in my stomach as my negative mood crashed down on me. Finding that I could think about things OTHER than how badly I felt. A lifting of the pressure I felt in my chest--the feeling of my emotions just being black. An ability to actually DO something, like work, do the dishes. An appreciation of things like the birds singing or the stars. The ability to NOT feel like life was hopeless and would never get better. Renewed hope, I guess, along with a renewed ability to function.
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#4 Penguin

Penguin

• PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

Well then, I am going to say 8 weeks, because I have felt some of those things. The physical intensity of my feelings has eased off this week. The depressing thoughts in my head have stopped dragging me down and making me cry. The thoughts are still there, same as before, but my emotions are subdued. Also, vague hopes have started to appear for the first time in months. And I did hear a bird singing yesterday...

So 8 weeks it is!

:hearts:

(I also recently went from 10 to 20mg like you did.)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 leila24

leila24

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:53 PM

Hi, I jut wanted to say how glad I am to hear that feeling better does eventually happen as Im running out of patience,
I thought I felt alot better after only 12 days of meds, silly me, what I should have realised is that I feel alot better when Im at home where I feel 'safe'.
I went out today to do a bit of shopping and sure enough along came that crushing feeling in my chest like someone was dancing on it, dont know if its because Im expecting it to happen when Im out and about, probably.
I know the Citalopram are working as before I was constantly floaty,like I wasnt in my body, or in a bubble or something, that only happens rarely now. Im looking foward to the anxiety finally going away so it stops bothering me.
Thanks for the optimism.

Leila xx :hearts:
"Stop thinking, start living! Each and every moment of our lives, we have a choice....to be lost in thought, or fully engaged in life"~ John Selby.

"It's just a ride"~ Bill Hicks

#6 mkiii1989

mkiii1989

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

Hi all,
I am new to AD's. I started Lexapro 4 months ago, first 4 weeks on 10 mg then went to 20 mg. Really started to feel better after week 6 and have now plateaued. I have dysthymic depression with destructive/addictive behaviors. I am finally waking up in the morning feeling a whole new sense of self-worth. When I look in the mirror I see someone who I had not seen in years; really feels great. I still have those dark times, but usually I am able to work through them using my CBT methods.
Good luck to everyone who has posted to this topic.
Al

#7 Juan1982

Juan1982

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:28 PM

Hi.

I was put on Celexa about 3 weeks ago. Started with 10mg, then was increased to 20mg a week later. Yesterday I was told to increase my dosage to 40mg, and today is the first time I've tried it at 40.
I'm 25, and I was diagnosed with GAD, Depression, and ADHD. I notice I feel good in the mornings, mostly cause of the ritalin, I think. I take my Celexa in the morning, with my ritalin and Lorazepam. I've been feeling great and better than I have in a long time. Hopefully when the Celexa kicks in, it'll be even greater.

#8 kstours

kstours

• Platinum Member
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:45 PM

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you who are new to Lexapro/Celexa. I still think it's a miracle how they work! :hearts:
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#9 Juan1982

Juan1982

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:40 PM

Today is my first day taking the 40mg, and I feel kind of weird. Like foggy...like when you're dreaming. Feel slow and sluggish, mentally. Hopefully, I don't feel like this tomorrow. I have an important business orientation. Has anyone had this side affect?

#10 leila24

leila24

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:24 PM

Today is my first day taking the 40mg, and I feel kind of weird. Like foggy...like when you're dreaming. Feel slow and sluggish, mentally. Hopefully, I don't feel like this tomorrow. I have an important business orientation. Has anyone had this side affect?

Hiya Juan, sorry to hear your feeling like this and I hope your feeling better for your orientation tomorrow, Im new to Citalopram which I think is the same thing, im not sure if I felt the same thing from the meds as I got a lot of de-personalisation anyway with the anxiety, feeling very floaty like I wasnt really in the room if you know what I mean, if anything this seems to be getting better, only on 20 though, sorry I couldnt be much help but I wanted to say hello and hope you feel better.

Leila
"Stop thinking, start living! Each and every moment of our lives, we have a choice....to be lost in thought, or fully engaged in life"~ John Selby.

#11 kstours

kstours

• Platinum Member
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

Hi, Juan. Yes, I had some "fog" when I first started Lexapro and when I went up to 20 mg, and caffeine became my best friend when I had to be at my best. Try to get some extra hours of sleep tonight, and splash some cold water on your face and maybe do a few toe touches before your presentation. You'll do fine. Are you taking it in the morning or evening? In a pinch if you're really worried, you might take half the dose in the morning and the other half at noon so you don't get the full whammy all at once. Best wishes to you, Juan!
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#12 cindyann

cindyann

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 11:45 AM

I'm so grateful for these boards and all the info that's here. I'll be starting celexa, 10 mg, on March 5th as my doc is weaning me of wellbutrin right now and wants me to wait until i'm off that (hope I don't go nuts in the meantime). The wellbutrin I was on for nearly 4 years and the anxiety from it was getting overwhelming, and my depression was also back. I'll see my doc again on March 26 (after taking celexa for 3 weeks). Not sure if that's enough time for me to be able to tell if it's working or not, but time will tell. All of your posts are so helpful :hearts:
CindyAnn

"I love the light because it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars."
- Og Mandino

“Sometimes one has simply to endure a period of depression for what it may hold of illumination, if one can live through it ... attentive to what it exposes or demands.”
- May Sarton

#13 mfzb

mfzb

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 06:31 PM

does anyone experience over heating? like feeling really hot all throughtout your body, like a fever?
ive been getting it every couple days ?

#14 Juan1982

Juan1982

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 08:25 PM

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I didn't feel any of the affects the next day. So everything went smoothley. :hearts:
Now I'm off for 6 weeks for leadership training. It sucks cause I'll be away from my wife during that time. If it wasn't for the Celexa and Lorazepam, I'd be an anxious mess right now. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments, but its not as bad as it could be. Hopefully soon I'll start feeling more of the positive effects from the celexa, other than just the side effects. I'll be on week 4, and my first complete week taking the 40mg.

Thanks for all the kind words. You guys are great.

#15 kstours

kstours

• Platinum Member
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:02 PM

Yay, Juan!!! Glad things went well. Hope you have a fantastic trip, and keeping my fingers crossed your meds kick into high gear soon.

mfzb--I notice I seem to be a little warmer in the evenings and I did have a bit of a temp when I saw the doc not too long after starting back on lexapro. Not really sure if there's a connection. I've been feeling fine--not sick at all.

Hang in there, cindyann--hope the Celexa works for you!
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#16 Chester Cheetoh

Chester Cheetoh

Silver Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:56 AM

does anyone experience over heating? like feeling really hot all throughtout your body, like a fever?

does the overheating feel like it could be an anxiety attack?

I've had that. Felt hotter than the hottest fever I've ever had.

#17 mfzb

mfzb

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 06:21 PM

yes. like so hot that i had to go on my balcony in just my boxers and tshirt in a -25 degree snow storm. ice packs on my head and under my armpits.. now i dont get that bad, but still pretty hot flashes off and on.

#18 kkuylen

kkuylen

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:24 PM

yes. like so hot that i had to go on my balcony in just my boxers and tshirt in a -25 degree snow storm. ice packs on my head and under my armpits.. now i dont get that bad, but still pretty hot flashes off and on.

I get this hot flushlike feeling in my face all the time for no reason at all and it lasts a few hours or so- so it cant be a "hot flash"- i think flashes are supposed to be only a few minutes. Have you had any relief in taking anything to relieve them. I started lexapro 2 weeks ago and was hoping it would help my nausea and hot flashes. Anyone get help with these symptoms? thanks

#19 cruz1287

cruz1287

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with depression about 2 and a half weeks ago but have been suffering from it for almost 3 months now, it feels like a lifetime. I am 20 years old and had to drop out of uni because of it, I could not concentrate in the lectures and was unable to write an essay. Started taking 10 mg of Cipralex and my doc increased my dose to 20mg, I am on my second week of taking the medication, been taking it since 28 Feb 2007. I did see some improvements last week, the 1st week whilst on the meds, I felt so good about myself and all the bad thoughts lifted away from my mind. But that only lasted 3 days or so and gradually faded away. At this present moment, my mood is extremely low and I am withdrawn and snappy towards my family and my boyfriend, as well as feeling emotionally numb, which i absolutely hate because i know this isnt me at all!! I'm scared that the meds won't work for me and i will end up like this forever. :( maybe im judging way too early, again i have only been on the meds for 2 and a half weeks now. i just need some reassurance and hope that my mood will improve so i can explore the world and live my life without suffering from this illness. i thought i was indestructible!! Please HELP :hearts:

#20 downforthecount

downforthecount

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:19 PM

Yes, I do, but I think it's the menopause for me. I am not making fun, I just couldn't pass this up.

#21 kstours

kstours

• Platinum Member
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with depression about 2 and a half weeks ago but have been suffering from it for almost 3 months now, it feels like a lifetime. I am 20 years old and had to drop out of uni because of it, I could not concentrate in the lectures and was unable to write an essay. Started taking 10 mg of Cipralex and my doc increased my dose to 20mg, I am on my second week of taking the medication, been taking it since 28 Feb 2007. I did see some improvements last week, the 1st week whilst on the meds, I felt so good about myself and all the bad thoughts lifted away from my mind. But that only lasted 3 days or so and gradually faded away. At this present moment, my mood is extremely low and I am withdrawn and snappy towards my family and my boyfriend, as well as feeling emotionally numb, which i absolutely hate because i know this isnt me at all!! I'm scared that the meds won't work for me and i will end up like this forever. :( maybe im judging way too early, again i have only been on the meds for 2 and a half weeks now. i just need some reassurance and hope that my mood will improve so i can explore the world and live my life without suffering from this illness. i thought i was indestructible!! Please HELP :hearts:

Ah, cruz, I'm sorry you're feeling so blue. We have many members here who are in uni or have had to drop out because of depression, so you'll find many kindred spirits who share your pain. The fact that you started feeling at least SOME benefit from the pills the first week is a very good sign--it's not unusual for there to be some highs and lows as your body adjusts. I had a few glorious days of mental clarity and good will, then things would go down a notch. I know it doesn't make you feel much better when you're down, but the bumps are to be expected, and hopefully as your body adjusts the good days will get more and more frequent. I really feel for you, especially your comment about thinking you were indestructible which is how many of us have felt at your age. Tugs at my heart to remember that feeling! Hang in there, hun, and if it would help, you're welcome to start your own thread in the Members Needing Extra Support Now area--you can start a thread in that area without having 5 posts. (((((((cruz))))))) (That's a virtual hug, by the way!)
--Kim
Posted ImagePosted Image

-- Alice Caldwell Rice

US Hotlines
UK Hotlines

International Hotlines

#22 monkey_dude

monkey_dude

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:16 PM

It has been 3 weeks of taking Lexapro for me, and I do not feel any different. My Dr. had me take 5mg for the first week, 10mg for the second week, 15mg for the third week, and 20 mg. I just started taking 20 mg today because it has been 3 weeks. I see that it took most people 4-6 weeks for Lexapro to start working, so maybe I just need to wait longer.

#23 Blackrose

Blackrose

• PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:09 PM

yeah i thought I was flashing too early in my years :hearts: but since I've been on lexapro. I've been feeling feverish. I make sure I drink plenty of water, so I do become dehydrated and get headaches.

"On a Clear Day, I can see forever"

#24 monkey_dude

monkey_dude

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:47 AM

Wow, I can't believe I am the only one this medicine didn't work for. I've been on it a little over a month now and don't see improvements. Some days I think my depression is worse. I do see a few side effects like loss of libido. I'm giving this medicine one more week, and if I do not see improvements by then, I am going off. I've been thinking about taking a supplement called sam-e instead. It doesn't have the side effects, but I do not know how well it works. I'll post more information later. I need to go to sleep because I have to wake up soon.

#25 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 07:50 AM

Wow, I can't believe I am the only one this medicine didn't work for. I've been on it a little over a month now and don't see improvements. Some days I think my depression is worse. I do see a few side effects like loss of libido. I'm giving this medicine one more week, and if I do not see improvements by then, I am going off. I've been thinking about taking a supplement called sam-e instead. It doesn't have the side effects, but I do not know how well it works. I'll post more information later. I need to go to sleep because I have to wake up soon.

monkey dude,

Are you on Celexa or Lexapro, and at what dose? If ultimately this turns out not to be the medication for you, talk to your doctor about how to taper off it because stopping these cold turkey can produce some unpleasany side effects for some people.

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#26 cruz1287

cruz1287

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 11:32 AM

I am currently on week 6 of taking cipralex 20mg and the weird thing is, is that this morning when i woke up i realised that the black cloud that had covered me for so many months had totally disappeared - my eyes started sparkling and smiling but then as soon as i started walking around the bad thoughts had returned and i tried to get rid of them and think of all the positives but it virtually seems impossible to do!! i got really disappointed with myself and ended up depressed once again - its the obssessive bad thoughts that do not reflect me as a person that really get me down - these thoughts are very real to me and sometimes they do sum me up as a person!!! :bump:

Anyway, ever since i have been taking the medication i always feel this sensation at the back of my head (is that where the serotonin is stored?), i feel like it flowing at the back of my head!!! It does feel calming at times but there are times when i get really bad migraines and sharp pains at the top of my head or maybe im just being paranoid.

My lack of communication has been completely ruined, it has been like this even before i took medication....i don't really go out anymore other than getting my medication. I am totally housebound and everytime i think about going out i start panicking. I am so bored at home, the only thing i do is eat, sleep, drink, listen to music (this is only way i can escape), surf the net, and watch tv!! I used to love shopping and buying new stuff but it doesnt excite me anymore, im also broke which really doesnt help at all....if i do decide to go shopping then i have to ask my parents for money....

I do keep a mood chart and diary just to keep track of my moods which does help a lot. I live with my parents and 2 younger sisters who i love so so much, i don't know what i would do without them. Only for the last couple of days, my dad has been really down and im afraid that my depression is affecting him too. I have a couple of friends, but ive only told one of them about my illness, even though she doesnt completely understand about it, she still talks to me and i talk to her. But whenever she asks to me go out, i have to try and make up an excuse to not go out because of my anxiety and plus i might not have much to say to her due to lack of communication - she doesnt know this.

A couple of days me and my boyfriend split up after being 3 months together, i told him about my depression and he said the most stupid thing "he understood what i am going through" - no he doesn't, he always says to me to snap out of it and think of the positives but that is so easy for him to say!!! I knew that he was a complete waste of time, i think he ruined me as a person.....thats my view!!! I was the "perfect" person until he came along.....he is my number one enemy - i never saw this coming!!!

My confidence is so low at the moment i really want to get it back to normal!! I am so eager to get back into the outside world and live life again because this is not how i am, i am still waiting for the meds to kick in, maybe it may take a while longer for me - people always react differently!!!

Its good to let that out!!

cruz xxxxxx :hearts:

#27 leila24

leila24

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

Hi Guys
Thought id give you an up to date version on my experience with getting better on Citalopram,
Ive been on it now for 11 weeks or so, still on 20mg and I am now back to work, which was something that at one point I did think was never going to happen.
Meds are still making me a little tired, but its nothing that isnt bearable and it really is the less of 2 evils. It changed my life from staying in and not going anywhere due to being scared, to now going out on my own, still a little nervous though.
I did have a panic attack last week due to a mixture of pineapple juice and coffee on an empty stomach then meds, wouldnt recommend it lol. Hopefully with the therapy I have I can come off the meds in a few months, we'l see.
I hope you all have good results with your meds.
Good luck everyone. :hearts:

Leila xx

#28 monkey_dude

monkey_dude

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 02:12 AM

monkey dude,

Are you on Celexa or Lexapro, and at what dose? If ultimately this turns out not to be the medication for you, talk to your doctor about how to taper off it because stopping these cold turkey can produce some unpleasany side effects for some people.

KA

I am on Lexapro 20 mg. I started off with 5 mg and increased the dose to 5 mg more each week until I was up to 20 mg. During the third week or so, I missed taking my medicine for 2-3 days. I wonder how much that sets back the time for the medicine to work or makes it start all over again. I need to check the calender to see how many weeks I have been on it now. I have also been taking Ativan at night for sleeping 1-1 1/2 mg. My dr said to take it during the day, but when I tried that one morning, I slept a bunch in the library at my school and missed my class. I am already very tired in the morning and it is hard to get out of bed, so taking the Ativan then makes it a whole lot worse. I don't like being all drugged up at school. It makes it difficult to study, and I feel like it's affecting my grades. I don't know if the Lexapro is causing me to not do as well at school too. Has anyone tried sam-e? I read it is prescribed by drs in Europe, but in USA, anyone can buy it at a grocery store. I was surprised that I didn't find anything about it when searching this forum. I wanted to know what other people's experience was with it. It doesn't have the side effects. I don't know how effective it is. I read that it increases seratonin and dopamin, so it is a little similar to SSRIs.

#29 Cat80

Cat80

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:50 AM

Hiya, I've just this morning been diagnosed with GAD and my Dr has prescribed 20mg of Citalopram a day. I took one this morning and for the past 2 hours have felt absolutely exhausted and a little queasy. I feel like I'm typing this through half asleep eyes. How long before the drug gets in my system and stops making me feel so sleepy? I can't feel like this all the time. As of tomorrow I'm going to start taking it about an hour before bed.

I was prescribed it as I always worry about things for no reason, was feeling nauseous all the time, tired, restless, anxious, nervous etc. Just hope I feel better soon especially as I turn 27 in 6 days. Won't be doing anything to celebrate at this rate

#30 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:00 AM

Hiya, I've just this morning been diagnosed with GAD and my Dr has prescribed 20mg of Citalopram a day. I took one this morning and for the past 2 hours have felt absolutely exhausted and a little queasy. I feel like I'm typing this through half asleep eyes. How long before the drug gets in my system and stops making me feel so sleepy? I can't feel like this all the time. As of tomorrow I'm going to start taking it about an hour before bed.

I was prescribed it as I always worry about things for no reason, was feeling nauseous all the time, tired, restless, anxious, nervous etc. Just hope I feel better soon especially as I turn 27 in 6 days. Won't be doing anything to celebrate at this rate

Taking it at night may help you to deal with the sleepiness, which is a common start-up side effect. For most people, these side effects pass after a few weeks.

KA

#31 Cat80

Cat80

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:42 AM

Taking it at night may help you to deal with the sleepiness, which is a common start-up side effect. For most people, these side effects pass after a few weeks.

KA

Thanks for your reply, I really hope taking it night helps. Have just spent the last 2 hours asleep (and here it is now 3.45pm) and my head feels cloudy. Will take my next tablet tomorrow night and fingers crossed I won't feel so bad. The Dr did say for the first 2 weeks I may feel worse but then I should start noticing a difference, roll on 2 weeks

Could I just ask has anyone taken painkillers when taking this medication and what the reaction was? Every month I get terrible pain (women know what I mean) and I usually take co-codomol (I'm allergic to Ibuprofen so can't take that) but the side affect of them is they make me really tired. I don't think they will go to well with the Citalopram so not sure what else to take instead?

Edited by Cat80, 13 April 2007 - 09:43 AM.

#32 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:48 AM

KA

Thanks for your reply, I really hope taking it night helps. Have just spent the last 2 hours asleep (and here it is now 3.45pm) and my head feels cloudy. Will take my next tablet tomorrow night and fingers crossed I won't feel so bad. The Dr did say for the first 2 weeks I may feel worse but then I should start noticing a difference, roll on 2 weeks

Could I just ask has anyone taken painkillers when taking this medication and what the reaction was? Every month I get terrible pain (women know what I mean) and I usually take co-codomol (I'm allergic to Ibuprofen so can't take that) but the side affect of them is they make me really tired. I don't think they will go to well with the Citalopram so not sure what else to take instead?

You should probably speak with your doctor about this combination. Yes, it will probably make you drowsy while you are adjusting to the citalopram. All painkillers taken with SSRIs have the potential to increase your risk of gastric bleeding and for bruising. As with all medications, however, it's a question of risk vs. benefit. Your doctor can help you to figure out the best course.

KA

#33 Cat80

Cat80

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for your reply KA, will ask my Dr or pharamacist if I can't get into see my Dr about what to take. Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated

#34 Lupercus

Lupercus

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:55 PM

Started using citalopram over a year ago at 20mg daily straight from the get-go. Still on 20mg and right on target with desired effect. Effect kicked in almost immediately, but certainly within 3 days, at which time the side-effects also asserted themselves. Things reached plateau at 7 to 8 weeks and have remained stable ever since, with the exception of a missed weekend because on the road without taking meds with me. That was NOT pleasant and made itself felt for over a week afterwards. Zaps, insomnia, anxiety attacks and everything PLUS the kitchen-sink.

Medication prerequisites:
Important was for me to be fully and completely informed about every minute possible detail before agreeing to start medicating with SSRI ADs. My GP did an excellent job at that and have me gobs of webpages with information about meds, and what he thought that I suffered from.

Assessed condition:
Chronic depression.
Early Childhood PTSD due to domestic violence.
War experience PTSD with resulting anxiety-, anger- and attitude-management issues.
Substance abuse due to alcoholic self-medication.

Indication of positive effect:
General better mood.
More self-accepting and actually caring for self.
More mental balance.
More self-control and what is more important less focus on controlling others.
Improved assertiveness.
Improved empathy and active listening.
More focus on positive things.
better logical capacity where it concerns own behavior.
Less impulsive and less anxious.
I feel more attractive and engaging in general interactions.

Behavioral changes;
Taking it more easy to the point of being lazy without feeling guilty or shamefull.
Catch myself easier, when anger escalates.
De-escalate faster and with a lot less effort.
Taking pre-negotiated time-outs when I feel that I get unpleasant.
Participate more with family life, spending more time with kids.
Less aggressive, bombastic, conceited or arrogant.
Improved physical activity >> Better appearance.
Drinking considerably less, if anything alcoholic beverages. (Only red alcohol with food).
Decreased urge to consume tobacco products. (Yeah, I know I should quit too, but I'm fighting my demons one at a time).

Side effects:
Vivid, lifelike dreams (a positive, I'd say. I like dreams and most are....ummmm. explicit!! :hearts: ).
Sleepyness/drowsyness during the day and yawning even after solid 9 hours of sleep.
Less mentally impacted by alcohol consumption. Apply extreme caution with that.
Altered sexual experience generic shift from quantity to quality, I'd say.
Increased sweat production and stronger body odor. (Lupercus the Pungent, I like it!)

Externally observed outcomes so far:
People find me easier (a LOT!) company and actually like having me around again.
Last PSTD triggered panic and violent rage episode is more than a year ago.
Recovered some semblance of wit and humor without being (overly) sarcastic or cynical.

That's it, I guess. Still have my ups and downs but the combination of meds and therapy appears to work for me.

Edited by Lupercus, 13 April 2007 - 12:57 PM.

There were never any good old days. They are today. They are tomorrow. It's just a stupid thing to say. Cursing tomorrow with sorrow.

#35 anity

anity

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:21 PM

I've been on 20mgs of citalopram for about a week, I take it before bed, no positive effects yet.

I'm another who has been getting *extreme* hot flashes/breaking out into sweat multiple times a day. Very embarrassing and adds to my agoraphobia and anxiety :hearts:

I also feel really sleepy, uncontrollably yawning sometimes, and foggy headed.

Once or twice a day I get really nauseous.

I'm really hoping these things clear up soon!
~“I may be rancid butter, but I’m on your side of the bread”

#36 Cat80

Cat80

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 04:28 AM

Had a bad night last night, didn't go to sleep until 3am as I felt really sick (actually thought I was going to be) so I started panicking. Then I was awake again at 7am and I still feel queasy now. Just wondering if to take my 2nd tablet? I took it yesterday with my breakfast so not sure why I started feeling sick 13 hours later (maybe it was just a coincidence). Does anyone have advice on controlling the terrible nausea? My main phobia is vomiting and feeling sick so this isn't helping at all.

#37 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:34 AM

Had a bad night last night, didn't go to sleep until 3am as I felt really sick (actually thought I was going to be) so I started panicking. Then I was awake again at 7am and I still feel queasy now. Just wondering if to take my 2nd tablet? I took it yesterday with my breakfast so not sure why I started feeling sick 13 hours later (maybe it was just a coincidence). Does anyone have advice on controlling the terrible nausea? My main phobia is vomiting and feeling sick so this isn't helping at all.

Cat,

You may want to call your doctor. You may need to begin on a lower dose than 20mg in order to control side effects.

KA

#38 gentle sun

gentle sun

• Platinum Member
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:53 AM

KA

When I was at a loss about one med affecting another and wanted a quick answer, I called my pharmacist. They are so knowledgable about that. You might try that if your appt. is a ways off.
Good Luck & Best Wishes! Gentle Sun

goldenvelope1jr.gifbronzestar.jpg
"What do I need to do right now to take good care of myself?" :flowers:

#39 Cat80

Cat80

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for everyones replies. I will check with a pharmacist on Monday (closed till Monday now) about these tablets and cocodomol. My Dr is only in on Thursday mornings and Friday afternoons so it'll be easier to check with the pharamacist (I don't go and see my Dr for another 4 weeks so she can check how I'm doing with the tablets). I think I was feeling worse last night as it is around the time of the month for me and all my symptoms get worse then (including the nausea and anxiety) so I'll perservere with the Citalopram for now and see if I feel less nauseous in the next week or so. Thanks again

#40 Cat80

Cat80

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 11:13 AM

I took my 2nd tablet earlier and just recently I feel a little on edge. Nervy and just not quite right, like somethings wrong but I can't explain what. Is this normal as I don't usually feel like this when not on Citalopram. I seem to be getting so many SE and I'm only on day 2, hope these stop soon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)