Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kstours

How Long Did It Take To Feel Better?

How many weeks to be effective?   124 members have voted

1. 1. How long were you on Lexapro/Celexa before it STARTED helping?

• 0-2 weeks
    • 2-4 weeks
    • 4-6 weeks
    • 6-8 weeks
    • more than 8 weeks
    • never did
  2. 2. How long were you on Lexapro/Celexa before the benefits plateaued?

• 0-2 weeks
    • 2-4 weeks
    • 4-6 weeks
    • 6-8 weeks
    • more than 8 weeks
  3. 3. What dose are you on now?

• 10 mg
    • 20 mg
    • 30 mg
    • 40 mg
    • more than 40 mg

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

142 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

Hi, all. I've been on Lexapro (this time) for about 11 weeks now, starting out at 10 mg and going up to 20 mg. I found that I started feeling better after about 3 weeks, and the benefits seemed to plateau at about 8 weeks. Everyone new to ADs always wants to know "how long it will take" to feel better, and I know it's different for everyone. Just wondering if there is any experience that is more common than others.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Kim,

How do you know when it's working?

- Penguin

Posted

Good question, Penguin! For me it was waking up and not suddenly getting this sinking feeling in my stomach as my negative mood crashed down on me. Finding that I could think about things OTHER than how badly I felt. A lifting of the pressure I felt in my chest--the feeling of my emotions just being black. An ability to actually DO something, like work, do the dishes. An appreciation of things like the birds singing or the stars. The ability to NOT feel like life was hopeless and would never get better. Renewed hope, I guess, along with a renewed ability to function.

Posted

Well then, I am going to say 8 weeks, because I have felt some of those things. The physical intensity of my feelings has eased off this week. The depressing thoughts in my head have stopped dragging me down and making me cry. The thoughts are still there, same as before, but my emotions are subdued. Also, vague hopes have started to appear for the first time in months. And I did hear a bird singing yesterday...

So 8 weeks it is!

:hearts:

(I also recently went from 10 to 20mg like you did.)

Posted

Hi, I jut wanted to say how glad I am to hear that feeling better does eventually happen as Im running out of patience,

I thought I felt alot better after only 12 days of meds, silly me, what I should have realised is that I feel alot better when Im at home where I feel 'safe'.

I went out today to do a bit of shopping and sure enough along came that crushing feeling in my chest like someone was dancing on it, dont know if its because Im expecting it to happen when Im out and about, probably.

I know the Citalopram are working as before I was constantly floaty,like I wasnt in my body, or in a bubble or something, that only happens rarely now. Im looking foward to the anxiety finally going away so it stops bothering me.

Thanks for the optimism.

Leila xx :hearts:

Posted

Hi all,

I am new to AD's. I started Lexapro 4 months ago, first 4 weeks on 10 mg then went to 20 mg. Really started to feel better after week 6 and have now plateaued. I have dysthymic depression with destructive/addictive behaviors. I am finally waking up in the morning feeling a whole new sense of self-worth. When I look in the mirror I see someone who I had not seen in years; really feels great. I still have those dark times, but usually I am able to work through them using my CBT methods.

Good luck to everyone who has posted to this topic.

Al

Posted

Hi.

I was put on Celexa about 3 weeks ago. Started with 10mg, then was increased to 20mg a week later. Yesterday I was told to increase my dosage to 40mg, and today is the first time I've tried it at 40.

I'm 25, and I was diagnosed with GAD, Depression, and ADHD. I notice I feel good in the mornings, mostly cause of the ritalin, I think. I take my Celexa in the morning, with my ritalin and Lorazepam. I've been feeling great and better than I have in a long time. Hopefully when the Celexa kicks in, it'll be even greater.

Posted

Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you who are new to Lexapro/Celexa. I still think it's a miracle how they work! :hearts:

Posted

Today is my first day taking the 40mg, and I feel kind of weird. Like foggy...like when you're dreaming. Feel slow and sluggish, mentally. Hopefully, I don't feel like this tomorrow. I have an important business orientation. Has anyone had this side affect?

Posted

Today is my first day taking the 40mg, and I feel kind of weird. Like foggy...like when you're dreaming. Feel slow and sluggish, mentally. Hopefully, I don't feel like this tomorrow. I have an important business orientation. Has anyone had this side affect?

Hiya Juan, sorry to hear your feeling like this and I hope your feeling better for your orientation tomorrow, Im new to Citalopram which I think is the same thing, im not sure if I felt the same thing from the meds as I got a lot of de-personalisation anyway with the anxiety, feeling very floaty like I wasnt really in the room if you know what I mean, if anything this seems to be getting better, only on 20 though, sorry I couldnt be much help but I wanted to say hello and hope you feel better.

Leila

Posted

Hi, Juan. Yes, I had some "fog" when I first started Lexapro and when I went up to 20 mg, and caffeine became my best friend when I had to be at my best. Try to get some extra hours of sleep tonight, and splash some cold water on your face and maybe do a few toe touches before your presentation. You'll do fine. Are you taking it in the morning or evening? In a pinch if you're really worried, you might take half the dose in the morning and the other half at noon so you don't get the full whammy all at once. Best wishes to you, Juan!

Posted

I'm so grateful for these boards and all the info that's here. I'll be starting celexa, 10 mg, on March 5th as my doc is weaning me of wellbutrin right now and wants me to wait until i'm off that (hope I don't go nuts in the meantime). The wellbutrin I was on for nearly 4 years and the anxiety from it was getting overwhelming, and my depression was also back. I'll see my doc again on March 26 (after taking celexa for 3 weeks). Not sure if that's enough time for me to be able to tell if it's working or not, but time will tell. All of your posts are so helpful :hearts:

Posted

does anyone experience over heating? like feeling really hot all throughtout your body, like a fever?

ive been getting it every couple days ?

Posted

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I didn't feel any of the affects the next day. So everything went smoothley. :hearts:

Now I'm off for 6 weeks for leadership training. It sucks cause I'll be away from my wife during that time. If it wasn't for the Celexa and Lorazepam, I'd be an anxious mess right now. Don't get me wrong, I have my moments, but its not as bad as it could be. Hopefully soon I'll start feeling more of the positive effects from the celexa, other than just the side effects. I'll be on week 4, and my first complete week taking the 40mg.

Thanks for all the kind words. You guys are great.

Posted

Yay, Juan!!! Glad things went well. Hope you have a fantastic trip, and keeping my fingers crossed your meds kick into high gear soon.

mfzb--I notice I seem to be a little warmer in the evenings and I did have a bit of a temp when I saw the doc not too long after starting back on lexapro. Not really sure if there's a connection. I've been feeling fine--not sick at all.

Hang in there, cindyann--hope the Celexa works for you!

Posted

does anyone experience over heating? like feeling really hot all throughtout your body, like a fever?

does the overheating feel like it could be an anxiety attack?

I've had that. Felt hotter than the hottest fever I've ever had.

Posted

yes. like so hot that i had to go on my balcony in just my boxers and tshirt in a -25 degree snow storm. ice packs on my head and under my armpits.. now i dont get that bad, but still pretty hot flashes off and on.

Posted

yes. like so hot that i had to go on my balcony in just my boxers and tshirt in a -25 degree snow storm. ice packs on my head and under my armpits.. now i dont get that bad, but still pretty hot flashes off and on.

I get this hot flushlike feeling in my face all the time for no reason at all and it lasts a few hours or so- so it cant be a "hot flash"- i think flashes are supposed to be only a few minutes. Have you had any relief in taking anything to relieve them. I started lexapro 2 weeks ago and was hoping it would help my nausea and hot flashes. Anyone get help with these symptoms? thanks

Posted

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with depression about 2 and a half weeks ago but have been suffering from it for almost 3 months now, it feels like a lifetime. I am 20 years old and had to drop out of uni because of it, I could not concentrate in the lectures and was unable to write an essay. Started taking 10 mg of Cipralex and my doc increased my dose to 20mg, I am on my second week of taking the medication, been taking it since 28 Feb 2007. I did see some improvements last week, the 1st week whilst on the meds, I felt so good about myself and all the bad thoughts lifted away from my mind. But that only lasted 3 days or so and gradually faded away. At this present moment, my mood is extremely low and I am withdrawn and snappy towards my family and my boyfriend, as well as feeling emotionally numb, which i absolutely hate because i know this isnt me at all!! I'm scared that the meds won't work for me and i will end up like this forever. :( maybe im judging way too early, again i have only been on the meds for 2 and a half weeks now. i just need some reassurance and hope that my mood will improve so i can explore the world and live my life without suffering from this illness. i thought i was indestructible!! Please HELP :hearts:

Posted

Yes, I do, but I think it's the menopause for me. I am not making fun, I just couldn't pass this up.

Posted

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with depression about 2 and a half weeks ago but have been suffering from it for almost 3 months now, it feels like a lifetime. I am 20 years old and had to drop out of uni because of it, I could not concentrate in the lectures and was unable to write an essay. Started taking 10 mg of Cipralex and my doc increased my dose to 20mg, I am on my second week of taking the medication, been taking it since 28 Feb 2007. I did see some improvements last week, the 1st week whilst on the meds, I felt so good about myself and all the bad thoughts lifted away from my mind. But that only lasted 3 days or so and gradually faded away. At this present moment, my mood is extremely low and I am withdrawn and snappy towards my family and my boyfriend, as well as feeling emotionally numb, which i absolutely hate because i know this isnt me at all!! I'm scared that the meds won't work for me and i will end up like this forever. :( maybe im judging way too early, again i have only been on the meds for 2 and a half weeks now. i just need some reassurance and hope that my mood will improve so i can explore the world and live my life without suffering from this illness. i thought i was indestructible!! Please HELP :hearts:

Ah, cruz, I'm sorry you're feeling so blue. We have many members here who are in uni or have had to drop out because of depression, so you'll find many kindred spirits who share your pain. The fact that you started feeling at least SOME benefit from the pills the first week is a very good sign--it's not unusual for there to be some highs and lows as your body adjusts. I had a few glorious days of mental clarity and good will, then things would go down a notch. I know it doesn't make you feel much better when you're down, but the bumps are to be expected, and hopefully as your body adjusts the good days will get more and more frequent. I really feel for you, especially your comment about thinking you were indestructible which is how many of us have felt at your age. Tugs at my heart to remember that feeling! Hang in there, hun, and if it would help, you're welcome to start your own thread in the Members Needing Extra Support Now area--you can start a thread in that area without having 5 posts. (((((((cruz))))))) (That's a virtual hug, by the way!)

Posted

It has been 3 weeks of taking Lexapro for me, and I do not feel any different. My Dr. had me take 5mg for the first week, 10mg for the second week, 15mg for the third week, and 20 mg. I just started taking 20 mg today because it has been 3 weeks. I see that it took most people 4-6 weeks for Lexapro to start working, so maybe I just need to wait longer.

Posted

yeah i thought I was flashing too early in my years :hearts: but since I've been on lexapro. I've been feeling feverish. I make sure I drink plenty of water, so I do become dehydrated and get headaches.

Posted

Wow, I can't believe I am the only one this medicine didn't work for. I've been on it a little over a month now and don't see improvements. Some days I think my depression is worse. I do see a few side effects like loss of libido. I'm giving this medicine one more week, and if I do not see improvements by then, I am going off. I've been thinking about taking a supplement called sam-e instead. It doesn't have the side effects, but I do not know how well it works. I'll post more information later. I need to go to sleep because I have to wake up soon.

Posted

Wow, I can't believe I am the only one this medicine didn't work for. I've been on it a little over a month now and don't see improvements. Some days I think my depression is worse. I do see a few side effects like loss of libido. I'm giving this medicine one more week, and if I do not see improvements by then, I am going off. I've been thinking about taking a supplement called sam-e instead. It doesn't have the side effects, but I do not know how well it works. I'll post more information later. I need to go to sleep because I have to wake up soon.

monkey dude,

Are you on Celexa or Lexapro, and at what dose? If ultimately this turns out not to be the medication for you, talk to your doctor about how to taper off it because stopping these cold turkey can produce some unpleasany side effects for some people.

KA