Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Zoloft And Nausea

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 syyoon1004

syyoon1004

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:09 PM

anyone experience nausea (feeling like vomiting) when taking zoloft? I've only been on this for 3 days and I feel like i want to vomit. Share ur experiences. thanks.

#2 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:11 PM

I have not taken Zoloft, but I did take Lexapro. Some tummy troubles are a fairly typical start-up side effect of SSRIs and should calm down as your body adjusts to the medication.

Hope this passes quickly for you as I know it's no fun at all.

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

#3 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:04 AM

i did have the nausea. it didnt last that long. mayb a week or 2. i sipped alot of water and nibbled on stuff like crackers and toast.

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#4 Belle29

Belle29

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:37 PM

Hi there,

I've been on 50mgs zoloft for maybe 10wks and yes during the start up I did experience quite a bit of nausea. Mine has gotten a lot better now, hopefully yours will too. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Take care, Belle xx

#5 amyjamie

amyjamie

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:09 PM

I'm on Day 4 of Zoloft and I have a little nausea--enough to make me have the dry heaves, but I never throw up. It's no fun--I got a bout while in the car the other day LOL My poor fiance was driving while listening to me gag into a plastic bag. Yay Zoloft. LOL But it comes and goes.

#6 rainbowdash

rainbowdash

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 10:11 PM

I'm on Day 4 of Zoloft and I have a little nausea--enough to make me have the dry heaves, but I never throw up. It's no fun--I got a bout while in the car the other day LOL My poor fiance was driving while listening to me gag into a plastic bag. Yay Zoloft. LOL But it comes and goes.

What dosage are you on? Do you take it with food? I ask because I've been prescribed zoloft but I have a phobia of getting sick..so I haven't started zoloft yet. My dr told me to take 1/2 the dose on a full stomach, right before I go to bed, and with a dose of xanax which should take care of all the side effects. I guess I'm just trying to get my nerve up to do it, but don't want to be heaving!

#7 amyjamie

amyjamie

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:08 PM

What dosage are you on? Do you take it with food? I ask because I've been prescribed zoloft but I have a phobia of getting sick..so I haven't started zoloft yet. My dr told me to take 1/2 the dose on a full stomach, right before I go to bed, and with a dose of xanax which should take care of all the side effects. I guess I'm just trying to get my nerve up to do it, but don't want to be heaving!

I'm on 50mg, and I didn't do any half dose stuff. I take it at night, and I take it with a cup of pineapple chunks (I have trouble swallowing pills, but I find pineapple is really good to chew and then put the pill in my mouth and swallow it down with the food--weird, I know, but it works for me!) Other than that, I don't make a point of really eating it near a mealtime. But from what I understand, every one is different. I'm doing okay now, so life is good...LOL

#8 Torontoguy

Torontoguy

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:30 PM

i just bumped to 100mg 9 days ago and i always feel the need to dryheave but never actually vomit. Its the worst side effect for me...I cant wait till it subsides.
  • Tamer likes this

#9 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:21 AM

On the incresed dose i have some of the se's from b4. I have the upped anxiety,nausea, and Im tired. But for the most part its no too bad. I know it will end soon just gotta hang on.

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#10 SadSunDevil

SadSunDevil

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

I am on day 3 of 50mg, and took 25mg for a few doses to build my tolerance. I took one 25mg pill every other night for 3 nights and experienced similar side-effects (the dry-heaving sucked.). My every other day idea seemed to work well though as the 50mg dose did not increase my side-effects- in fact they aren't as bad. Perhaps its just me though.

I wish everyone luck!

#11 8373seth

8373seth

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:29 AM

Ive been on 50mgs for about 6 weeks. I didnt have any nausea at first. About 5 days ago I starting having nausea and still have it. I am not sure if this is common or not. I usually feel worse when I move a lot. If am sitting or still I am usually ok. Has anyone else experienced this after several weeks on the drug?

Thanks,

Seth

#12 Joanna

Joanna

• 7,272 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

Ive been on 50mgs for about 6 weeks. I didnt have any nausea at first. About 5 days ago I starting having nausea and still have it. I am not sure if this is common or not. I usually feel worse when I move a lot. If am sitting or still I am usually ok. Has anyone else experienced this after several weeks on the drug?

Thanks,

Seth

Hi Seth,

Welcome to DF and to the Zoloft room. I'm sorry you have started to feel nauseous after having been on Zoloft for 6 weeks. I would say that it is definitely more typical to experience side effects like this earlier on, but I'm sure it's not unheard of to get them later. To be on the safe side, I would recommend that you mention this to your doctor. It could be something unrelated to the Zoloft. Best to get it checked out.

Wishing you all the very best, Seth! Please keep us posted.

Joanna
Posted ImagePosted Image Joanna

#13 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

Welcome Seth!

Yes, nausea is a common side effect, but as Joanna says, it usually seems to hit people early on. I still have a slight twinge of it if my dose is adjusted, too.

For me, the nausea passed after a few days, and I hope that yours will too, if it's caused by the zoloft. Like Joanna said, it could be something going around, so it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out.

Take care,
Dewayne
I'm not a complete *****. Some parts are missing.
Please don't drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
If life is a joke, then I don't get it.
I'm just mentally ill. It's the rest of the world that's crazy.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 wildcat

wildcat

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:28 AM

I took 25 mg for the first week and now doubled to 50 mg for the last 2 days.It has been only 10 days but I have nausea too.I lost 3 kg in a week.I think I can live with that,because I feel relaxed and began feeling better.I also know myself and I am always sensitive to drugs.Most of the time I have nausea.I will have to wait as my doc said to see how it goes.

#15 Joanna

Joanna

• 7,272 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:00 AM

I took 25 mg for the first week and now doubled to 50 mg for the last 2 days.It has been only 10 days but I have nausea too.I lost 3 kg in a week.I think I can live with that,because I feel relaxed and began feeling better.I also know myself and I am always sensitive to drugs.Most of the time I have nausea.I will have to wait as my doc said to see how it goes.

Hi wildcat,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing some nausea, but it's great that the Zoloft is helping you feel better emotionally. I do hope the nausea subsides as your system adjusts to the new medication. And I hope the good feelings get stronger and stronger!

Wishing you all the very best.

Joanna

#16 musedone

musedone

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:09 AM

I, too, always feel like throwing up. I've missed work for three days now. I've been on Zoloft for three days. I can't tell if it's due to the side effects of the Zoloft or because of my anxiety. I am going back into the doctor tomorrow to hopefully get something to curb the anxiety, because I can't continue to miss work like this....or feel sick to my stomach every morning!

#17 Joanna

Joanna

• 7,272 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

I, too, always feel like throwing up. I've missed work for three days now. I've been on Zoloft for three days. I can't tell if it's due to the side effects of the Zoloft or because of my anxiety. I am going back into the doctor tomorrow to hopefully get something to curb the anxiety, because I can't continue to miss work like this....or feel sick to my stomach every morning!

Hi musedone,

I'm really sorry to hear about the nausea you are experiencing. Have you tried taking your Zoloft with food? Or does that not make any difference? I'm glad you are going back to see your doctor tomorrow. Hopefully he will be able to come up with something to help you. Please keep us posted!

Take care.

Joanna

#18 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:36 PM

Hi musedone,

I'm so sorry to hear how you're feeling. A lot of people have trouble on startup with nausea, but it usually improves. I hope yours does soon. It still wouldn't hurt to go ahead and contact your doc, though. And Joanna's suggestion of taking it with food works for some people.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 chevrolet

chevrolet

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:18 PM

Anyone have nausea develop, not at first, but with increasing dosages?

What have you found out re eating something before taking the medicine (what kinds of foods work best)?

Anyone use anything, med or OTC, for nausea?

#20 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

Hi chevrolet,

I have a bit of nausea sometimes when my dose is stepped up, which my doc and I usually do in the fall of the year (Good old holiday depression, and SAD.....) For me, it passes rather quickly. I also usually take mine in two doses, in the morning before work (with just a light snack or something,) and again at lunch. I really can't say that anything in particular seems to work better for me, though, just so long as I eat something around the time I take my meds.

I hope your nausea gets better soon, it's certainly no fun to deal with.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 cagoulet

cagoulet

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:29 AM

Hi chevrolet,

I have a bit of nausea sometimes when my dose is stepped up, which my doc and I usually do in the fall of the year (Good old holiday depression, and SAD.....) For me, it passes rather quickly. I also usually take mine in two doses, in the morning before work (with just a light snack or something,) and again at lunch. I really can't say that anything in particular seems to work better for me, though, just so long as I eat something around the time I take my meds.

I hope your nausea gets better soon, it's certainly no fun to deal with.

Take care,
Dewayne

I know this post is an old one, but I just started with zoloft and am having nausea, too. I take it first thing in the morning and try to drink a big glass of water with it. I've also eaten a piece of bread along with, but I still feel like I'm going to throw up. Today I took .5 mg Xanax along with, since it's making me very anxious. Has anyone had any success with taking this with anything carbonated, like Coke? And for those of you who take it at night, do you wake up feeling nauseated? Does it make you tired?

Thanks,

Candy

#22 AngelOfTheMoor

AngelOfTheMoor

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

I've had feelings of nausea with taking Zoloft, both when I initially began and when I started taking a higher dose. I find that the longer I take the same dose, though, the less nauseated I begin to feel.

I used to take Zoloft in the morning, but when my dose increased, I felt ill when I took it in the morning. I felt so nauseated (and light-headed) that I found it hard to get along with my normal daily activities. Then I started taking Zoloft in the evenings. And yes, I do take it with a carbonated beverage because I take it with my dinner. I've never woken up feeling nauseated. The feelings of nausea decreased and now don't appear as often as they did when I took it in the morning.

#23 cagoulet

cagoulet

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:07 AM

I've had feelings of nausea with taking Zoloft, both when I initially began and when I started taking a higher dose. I find that the longer I take the same dose, though, the less nauseated I begin to feel.

I used to take Zoloft in the morning, but when my dose increased, I felt ill when I took it in the morning. I felt so nauseated (and light-headed) that I found it hard to get along with my normal daily activities. Then I started taking Zoloft in the evenings. And yes, I do take it with a carbonated beverage because I take it with my dinner. I've never woken up feeling nauseated. The feelings of nausea decreased and now don't appear as often as they did when I took it in the morning.

I talked with the pharmacist yesterday about this and she told me to eat a good breakfast before I take my zoloft, then wait an hour or so before having coffee or tea. Today, I'm trying to eat an egg mcmuffin and have a glass of ginger ale with it, but my stomach was already queasy when I woke up (BEFORE I took the zoloft) and it's hard to eat. I've lost 25 lbs. this month from stress and anxiety, and I think that's contributing to the nausea, too. I took .25 Xanax already, to help smooth things out, but that level usually doesn't do anything for me. It's so hard to concentrate on work when I feel like I'm going to throw up all the time, and the anxiety is just rolling over me.

I've only been on zoloft for 6 days -- does it get better? I was thinking maybe Paxil would be better for me, but I'm so confused right now, I don't know what to think.

Candy

#24 PRT

PRT

• Platinum Member
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

Hi cagoulet,

The nausea will decrease. You have to give a new med between 6-8 weeks before you can really tell how you're going to respond to it. Getting through the start-up can be hard but it does get easier.

PRT xx
To see a world in a grain of sand
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand
And eternity in an hour. Posted Image

#25 southerngrits

southerngrits

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

I'm on my 4th day of taking Zoloft and it has not been a great experience i have vomited for 3 days now ive already had to have a liter of fluid because i became dehydrated hopefully this will subside hope it subsides for you also

Edited by southerngrits, 31 January 2011 - 06:04 PM.

#26 Guest_Noloft_*

Guest_Noloft_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:57 PM

I am also nauseous, constantly and gagging. I have been tapering off Zoloft for two years and have been at 25mg now for three months (from an original dosage of 300mg). I have suffered weeks of waxing and waning nausea during this tapering process but these last 15 days have been that worst and for the first time have lost my appetite. The last time I remember losing my appetite like this was 17 years ago, when I first began taking Zoloft.

So it does happen when decreasing the dosage as well.

Glad to hear not alone in nausea from Zoloft.

Edited by Noloft, 07 February 2011 - 08:59 PM.

#27 plnelson

plnelson

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

Nausea is a common side effect of Sertraline when you first start it. I've been on it for about 3 weeks and it's a lot less now but it always happens at serum peak - 5-8 hours after taking it.

Taking it with food probably won't make any difference because it's not acting on the stomach itself; it's acting on the CNS after it's absorbed and metabolized hours after you take it. On the other hand eating food when you get the nausea may help - at least it does with me. I also found it helped a lot to divide my doses so the serum peaks were lower. Anyway, bottom line - ride it out; the nausea will pass. I f
  • chickapea likes this

#28 mlbemis28

mlbemis28

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:25 AM

Hello all! I'm a new member and new user of zoloft. I was recently diagnosed with depression and prescribed zoloft 50mg once at night. The nausea is horrible and kicks in about an hour or two after taking. I really can't wait for the day when I take it and don''t have the nausea. I was afraid something was wrong because I was experiencing nausea and headaches; but after reading some many comments about other people experiencing the same side effects, it sort of gives me comfort.

#29 Chesterc

Chesterc

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hi, I've been on zoloft for about 7 years now. Originally, I started with a dose of 50mg, and that fluctuated over the years from 25 to 75. Now, I've raised to 100mg. Over the past 6 months I've felt nausea every single day and its horrible I can no longer bear it. In this period I was at 75 then raised to 100mg. At first I believed it was simply anxiety, but I looked things up and maybe with raised doses I begin to feel worse. Anyone have anything helpful I just don't know what to do, my psychiatrist is a dumbass looking for a new one and doesnt give me any helpful advice Im really lost and miserable. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users