Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

What Exactly Does Lamictal Do?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 vanran

vanran

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:46 PM

i've been on Lamictal for a little more than a month already, and yes i've gotten less depressed and less often. i had one or two suicidal days but it wasn't that bad. haven't had a mixed episode in a while too. i haven't been as manic and euphoric though, which is kinda sad.

i've been feeling pretty well the past week.
how have the others on lamictal been?

i've been missing from DF for a while. i miss you guys. heh.

#2 jillivinilly

jillivinilly

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:52 PM

I feel like Lamictal gives me mental strength. That is the only way I can think of to describe it. Where I used to feel unable or unwilling to handle things, I can now concnetrate and get things done.

I feel like it has made a world of difference for me. I am not on it for bipolar, though.
Into the Great Wide Open - Tom Petty
Posted Image

#3 cinnamona666

cinnamona666

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

vanessa!!!!!!!!!!!

ya know what/????

THEY HAVE NO FRICKEN CLUE HOW IT WORKS!! im so serious.. i read the fine print on the prescribing info..and they state that the FDA cannot identify the mechanisms in which lamictal works for bipolar..

but ah well.. its been working really well for me..so no complaints..and im finally pooping again ;)
nothing is forever; nothing stays the same
even if you desire it to

^_^

<3laura

i anti-endorse any advertising below my icon =P

#4 flippingout

flippingout

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:55 PM

Just an interesting lil' tidbit about Lamictal... if you are on an estrogen-based form of birth control, the effectiveness of lamictal decreases. So they recommend increasing the dosage of Lamictal to counteract this. Definately something to bring up to your pdoc, if you're on it.

Lamictal effectiveness decreases, NOT THE BIRTH CONTROL (that is still the same).
Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
-Family Guy

#5 cinnamona666

cinnamona666

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:29 PM

ive sorta heard that, but i also sort of ignored it =P im on high estrogen..low progesterone bc formulation.. i wonder how much it actually decreases the effectiveness? i wonder if it decreases the effect all along? hmmm stuff to think about. im still on 100mg and feeling pretty stable. i get paranoid about raising dosages.. back to the 'good ol days' of continously raising ADs just to have them continue to poop out and leave me disheartened.

ps. vanessa, im so glad youve been feeling better <3
even if you desire it to

^_^

<3laura

#6 treefingers

treefingers

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:12 AM

what dose are you all on?

i was on 50mg for a couple months....didn't really notice anything, recently had it raised to 75mg. the last couple days have been pretty good, but i was at a really low point for a few weeks before that, so i don't know if it's just my cycling or what.

at what dose did you guys start feeling its effects?

#7 cinnamona666

cinnamona666

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:06 AM

im currently on 100mg. i first began to notice some effects at 50mg. 100mg is actually the minimum therapeutic dose. 200mg is the most common dose. i definitely did not feel the full effect until i had had a few weeks of 100mg.

=)
even if you desire it to

^_^

<3laura

#8 flippingout

flippingout

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:12 PM

what dose are you all on?

i was on 50mg for a couple months....didn't really notice anything, recently had it raised to 75mg. the last couple days have been pretty good, but i was at a really low point for a few weeks before that, so i don't know if it's just my cycling or what.

at what dose did you guys start feeling its effects?

i went thru the same thing. when i got to 75mg i was feeling "different." not an outwardly, everyone notice me different.. but just i just sorta noticed that i was handling things differently.

as far as a "really low point." i definately went thru that... i had a really really bad depression funk (about a month after i started taking it) that i had a hard time getting over. i found this weird because lamictal has an off-label use for depression. i spoke about this with my np, and she also prescribed risperdal for me (this was for my depressive funk, as well as maintenance for other "things).

i am currently taking 100mg.
Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
-Family Guy

#9 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:22 AM

I'm on 300mg, did the step up program via the freebie packet from the pdoc. This is my main mood stabilzer and it has kept me fairly stable. I also take 2 ADs, an anti-psychotic and another stabilizer. Lots of pills just to stay on an even keel most of the time.

Riotvan, read the FAQ sheet on Lamictal in the "Other Meds" room.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#10 vanran

vanran

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:07 PM

haven't been posting here much, cus i don't really know what to say.

i feel like my cycles are getting less rapid. it's like, i'd be generally down (with normal moods sometimes) for a week, and high and euphoric (with normal moods sometimes), for the next week.

i'm on 100mg lamictal now. just started taking them like a month ago. man......a long way to go.

i'm seeing a psychologist this thursday!
feeling nervous but hopeful

#11 adorabelle

adorabelle

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

((riotvan))

good to see you again, i was wondering where you've been. i'm glad you are doing better! it was said before, they have no idea how lamictal works, but it does effect something in your brain chemistry, lol --- that kind of scared me - not knowing the unknown - make sense?

let us know how you are doing, ok hun?

~adorabelle

Go over, go under, go around, or go through.
But never give up.

If you get up one more time than you fall, you will make it through. 

❤ ❤ ❤   TENACITY   ❤ ❤ ❤  

goldenvelope1jr.gif

#12 vanran

vanran

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:11 AM

yes, not knowing the unknown.

you know, everytime i realise i miss a dose, i quickly take it as soon as i remember. i'm so scared i'd get a relapse.

although my cycles are less rapid now, everytime i'm in a depressive mood, i have to wait so long to get to the other end of the spectrum again. :/

#13 Guest_BayingAtTheMoon_*

Guest_BayingAtTheMoon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 11:34 AM

Lamictal, as you guys probably already know, was usually prescribed as an anti-epilectic. And then somebody noticed it had mood-stabilzing effects. There's a theory that its properties for damping down the electical activity in the brain is why it works for bipolar. But it's just a guess. Sounds kinda logical to me.

I've been on it and then off and then on again for about a year. I came off it when I felt I could cope on my own, with my shrink's approval, and I was fine for a few months. But when lots of difficult stuff started to come down on me, I knew I had to go back to it.

I'm on 150mg at the moment. I didn't really start to feel an effect till I got onto 100g. It worked really well the first time I was on it, but it's not really delivered this time the way it did before. My shrink has now added ADs. I don't mind being on it as I've not really had any side effects.

#14 juleswcu

juleswcu

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:01 PM

i've been on Lamictal for a little more than a month already, and yes i've gotten less depressed and less often. i had one or two suicidal days but it wasn't that bad. haven't had a mixed episode in a while too. i haven't been as manic and euphoric though, which is kinda sad.

i've been feeling pretty well the past week.
how have the others on lamictal been?

i've been missing from DF for a while. i miss you guys. heh.

Lamictal has made a big difference for me. I started out on lithium and it made things worse, not better. I was in a constant drugged state and if I didn't take it I was a raging monster. On top of that I gained 20lbs. Once I went off of it I found a new dr and it took her over a year to convince me to give Lamictal a try b/c I was so tainted by lithium. I have been on it a few years now and it works well, but I still go up and down. The best thing is I experienced no weight gain or other side effects! Plus, you don't have to get blood tests to check levels.
I don't think I'll ever be completely stable like some say they have came to be. I am also on zoloft and wellbutrin. I take klonopin (not sure of spelling) on a as needed basis, which has been a lot lately.

#15 cinnamona666

cinnamona666

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 12:09 AM

yay for lamictal!!!!! ive been on it for about 3 months now..and its incredible..although i do feel slight mood swings. has the same dose continued to work for you.. i have this fear of poop out like the ADs did.. im currently on 150mg..afraid to go to 200mg due to the maximum dose fear.

<3
even if you desire it to

^_^

<3laura

#16 AngelWithin

AngelWithin

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 05:07 PM

I like Lamictal! :) I feel much more "centered" on it. and I don't rapid cycle as much. I take 125 for biploar. I was on it once and went off it ..now I had to go back on. I suggested it to my Pdoc and he agreed.

#17 deeply

deeply

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

Hi,

I'm new to posting here, but not new to the forum. I just got Lamictal on Monday and started taking it yesterday. I have a question about the side effects. How long did you have them? And also, how long did the side effects last in a day? For instance did they last just couple of minutes, hours, all day, etc? Yesterday I had this horrible muscle pain in my neck and felt so incredibly tired, yet I couldn't fall asleep, a headache, and felt lightheaded. The side effects went and came all day. Did anyone else experience this?

#18 AngelWithin

AngelWithin

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:26 PM

Hi Deeply...:)

Did they start your dose out small ? Usually they do that w/ lamictal and then bring up the dose slowly. I didn't have any side effects , really. I wish I could help you. If you get a rash, you should call your doc..but basically I have found this to be a good drug . but then everyone is different.

#19 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:16 PM

I've been on Lamictal for about three years. The pdoc stepped me up slowly and I am now on 300mg/day. It's my main mood stabilizer and I have to say that it does work. Mood swings are not as drastic and I feel pretty good on it. I notice right away if I should accidently miss a dose. I'm allowed to take it all at one time but I prefer to divide the doses between morning and night. As long as the level of Lamictal stays steady in my system, I do not have any major problems. I didn't gain weight which is a plus. The side effects went away in a week, although I do get headaches occasionally as this is one of the "lingering" side-effects. If you do get a rash, stop taking Lamictal and call your pdoc right away! The rash symptom is only in the early phase of taking Lamictal and does not occur the longer you are on it.

If the side effects are severe enough to cause additional problems for you, always call your pdoc and get his/her advice before you stop taking Lamictal.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#20 deeply

deeply

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:59 PM

Thanks guys for answering. Yeah I'm on 25mg now and in 2 weeks I move up to 50mg and then go up from there. The only side effect that is really bothering me is the being sleepy, but unable to go to sleep. The other side effects I felt on the first day have all vanished. Its just the sleepy/insomnia one that is hitting me the hardest. I talked with my doctor and she said t should let up in a week or so. And I can't wait. So far, besides this sleep issue, I am liking Lamictal.

#21 KingOfTheThing

KingOfTheThing

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 05:53 PM

Has anyone else felt more depressed on this? My first 3 weeks on 25mg I felt just fine, surely not great, but ifelt like things were kind of more stable (I used this in conjunction with 225mg oof Effexor for depression). Then on my fourth week, I started to feel more depressed it was really weird, and it made me really lose touch with reality. I went back to my doctor and said he's run out of options for me and just gave me a number for a clinic 30 min away. Turns out they can't even see me until the middle of April so now I'm absolutely hung out to dry here with no help at school so i decided i'll just re-try the lamictal, using the what i had left and start at 50 mg, to see if an increase would help. I figure I have nothing to lose, I don't even really care if I get the rash.

#22 kms123

kms123

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:19 PM

I thought I was the only one with the headaches/neckaches/miserable aches and pains.
I went through those headaches/neckaches when I started on Lamictal. Man that was bad. I kept thinking it was from some muscle I'd stretched or something. Nothing seemed to even phase it except cold ice packs and massage. I tried everything from aspirin to darvocet, nada. The good news is that eventually went away and I haven't had even a twinge in months. I'm on 400 mg a day, which is a pretty high dose.

There's a product called Biofreeze (like Bengay without the lingering smell) that I found helpful, too. I got that at the massage therapy office, but you could probably get it on line or in a store.
I'd slather that on when I got in the car for my hour long drive to work, and it helped.

The strange thing is that this is such a distinctive type of neck/headache. I've heard it called the Lamictal Headache. The literature about Lamictal makes it sound like the headaches are not that common, but I doubt that.

So anyway, I understand how bad that feels. I'm sorry you're going through that. It will pass in time. Keep an ice pack handy in the mean time! And write to me if you need to vent about the pain or ask any questions about it. It helps to feel like you're not the only one... :hearts:
KMS123

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users